TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question How much does beer screw up your diet - really?

Heya...

...as of late, I'm getting really worried about myself... I never used to drink, I'd drink about 5 beers, a few whiskeys and a glass of chaimpagne within a YEAR... but since I started dating this guy and go out with his friends (most of them are mutual frinds from some time ago, we went to school together), they like going out for a beer and hang out in places, and since we're all metalheads there's good music trashing and stuff, and I've found myself having a few beers (mostly non-alcoholic, but not always) nearly every weekend... how much does this mess me up? How much kcal does a dl of beer have (average?), and also a dl of non-alcoholic beer...? I drink beer because it comes in half-liters so they don't bug me much about not drinking anything (these people don't suffer someone having an empty glass), but is there anything better (less harmful) to drink...? (No, I can't have juices because that ends up in drinking gallons of high-calorie sugar-filled stuff). I know I should cut it out alltogether, but even if I've dumped guys because of the sport before, I wouldn't like to do it before we even try properly...

Thanx for all the help...

She-Hulk in the making IronMaiden1522's Avatar
    IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronMaiden1522 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am also a fellow metal head! Ozzfest in 2 weeks! Anyways read this

article.http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...ch/alcohol.htm
    Why alcohol calories are more important than you think...

RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000) RM124 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    whenever i go out and drink the next day my workout is better because i wanna work that much harder because i know i screwed up my diet the day before... iduno i lift better .

You've Been Owned SomeUnknownKid's Avatar
    SomeUnknownKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SomeUnknownKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it has so many calories and ****s up ur bodies protein synthesis
    if u drink beer on the same day u lift u wasted ur time

svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) svelt4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I knew I was going out to drink then cut back somewhere else during the day---mainly your carbs. As far as training---I couldn't do a darn thing the next day---alcohol makes me feel terrible ---so I just don't drink at all.
    Self control requires Willpower which requires Discipline--if I have Self control then I have all three.
    11% BF

Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    calories aside, it lowers blood volume, making it near impossible to grow muscle.
    "Theia yielded to Hyperion's love and gave birth
    to great Helios and bright Selene and Eos,
    who brings light to all the mortals of this earth
    and to the immortal gods who rule the wide sky."
    (Hesiod, Theogony, 371-74)

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It also can slow the metabolism

If you are going to drink, a better choice would be diet coke with a spirit e.g. diet coke and bourbon.

bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50) bogglezjan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do drink once in a while, but definately not often like weekly. Alcohol consumption damage muscles grow and they are just empty calories... Yea, that's what I heard about a better choice of alc. drinks are spirits w/diet soda, tonic, soda water to minimize the calories (take vodka, whisky or rum instead of bailey's or sweet liquar).

Registered User TigerAngelLeigh's Avatar
    TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    More worrying than the effects of alcohol on your diet is that you feel pressured into drinking, even though you're not used to it and don't really want to. Other people should always respect your feelings and if you don't want alcohol, then they should respect that and not force the issue. There are plenty of lower calorie soft drinks you could have instead.

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TigerAngelLeigh
    More worrying than the effects of alcohol on your diet is that you feel pressured into drinking, even though you're not used to it and don't really want to. Other people should always respect your feelings and if you don't want alcohol, then they should respect that and not force the issue. There are plenty of lower calorie soft drinks you could have instead.
    Yeah, tell me about it... I had a few cases like this, actually more than a few... wherever I show up everyone seems to want to get me drunk because they know I almost never drink. And they say I look pitiful with a glass of mineral water in front of me, even if it really IS my fav drink (aside of coffe, but everyone has a vice... ). It's quite sad; really, most people I know seem to be unable to have a good time without being drunk! Talk about inhibited minds! Does this stuff happen to you? And what do you do in such cases? I'm usually the type to lose friends over this, but it's not pretty.
    My usual tactics in such cases is to give in for a while, then tell everyone they've had their fun and that now it's time for me to stop, and most of the time it works out, but if it doesn't, I scamper...

As for soft drinks I'm really not into diet cokes and stuff, too much artificial acids and stuff in there... And um, I react funny to vodka and other stiff drinks... What kind of natural juices are low on calories?

Thanx for all your help!!

Originally Posted by jennyg
    I am also a fellow metal head! Ozzfest in 2 weeks! Anyways read this

article.http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...ch/alcohol.htm
    Why alcohol calories are more important than you think...
    Thanx, very enlightening and not at all encouraging..! Have fun at Oz!!!

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TurbulentFluid
    As for soft drinks I'm really not into diet cokes and stuff, too much artificial acids and stuff in there...
    LOL. Beer is hardly a healthy drink. Diet coke is a far better choice than beer!

Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    LOL. Beer is hardly a healthy drink. Diet coke is a far better choice than beer!
    Hmm... difficult, that one... I'm not quite sure. Beer is an all-natural product (well, good brands are, anyway), and even if non-alcoholic beers can mess up your digestion owing to the processes in them that are far from complete, they're still natural...

Coke, on the other hand, contains orthophosphoric and a load more acids, plus loads of artificial sweeteners... now I'm a mechanical engineer and not a food tehnologist, but when we have particularly stubborn, rusty screws in old constructions that are in for reparation, we pour some coke on them, go sit in the shade for half an hour and you can unscrew them no problem... Somehow I don't want THAT in my system!!

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Point taken. My comment had to do with its effects on your diet (as per the subject of the thread). In terms of overall health, it might be a draw.

FWIW, it's not the caloric value of the beer that is so damaging, nor the carbs. It is the fact that, since your body can't store alcohol, it has to process it right away. So all other metabolic processes are more or less halted while your body dealswith the beer. This greatly increases your chanes of fat storage, since your body is not unavailable to process fat and can easily store it as body fat instead.

someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000) someday is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou
    It also can slow the metabolism

If you are going to drink, a better choice would be diet coke with a spirit e.g. diet coke and bourbon.
    you're the second person that has suggested that borbon?whiskey and diet soda is a better splurge than a glass of wine or beer. what's different in bourbon than rum or tequila? just wondering

rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rungrl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I give anyone credit that is so dedicated that they won't have a few beers.....I work hard all week, I eat healthly, workout everyday....Friday is my night to have a cheat meal and drink some beers.

Sure, I wonder how I would look if I eliminated the beer and cheat meal, but I just can't give it up.

gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymjunkee01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've heard that drinking alcohol makes your lifting a waste of time; and that drinking is just bad in general for someone trying to reach their goals in fitness.

On a more scientific note...
    The only organ in the body that can process alcohol is the liver, which prefers free fatty acids (FFA) for fuel. But when alcohol is present, the liver is forced to use that instead of the FFA - which then accumulate. Also, when alcohol is present in the body it uses niacin and thiamin to metabolize it - these two nutrients are needed for glucose metabolism (for the brain) and when there is alcohol in the body, there is not enough of these nutrients to go towards glucose metabolism.
    Drinking alcohol also halts protein synthesis. When lipoprotein synthesis decreases, fat accumulates in the liver which can eventually lead to disease.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that antibodies won't be produced and that can lead to infection.

You don't sound like an alcoholic by any means, so some of the scientific stuff might not seem to helpful. But if you are going out every weekend and doing this, I wonder if it wouldnt build up to some degree. I'm not a big drinker at all, and I know what you are going thru with the peer pressure- it's not easy. Sometimes I find that coming up with a little white lie to use as an excuse is a good way to get people off your back. Like saying "I have to get up really early in the morning to meet with my boss and alcohol doesnt sit well with me, so I'd rather stick to water tonight" - who knows if it will work in your situation - just an idea that sometimes works for me.

Hope this was somewhat helpful

justagirrl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm just curious if I will lose all my gains that I have made in the past 6 weeks?? I feel I have come so far. I've only lost 5 pounds but I feel so much leaner and I'm positive that I'm lower in bodyfat then when I started.

Anyways, next week, I will be going on vacation and although I don't plan on bingeing on alcohol, I will probably have a couple drinks. I'm sure my diet probably won't be up to par either. I was going to try and keep up some strength training with resistance bands and doing some light cardio like speed walking, or canoeing.

Other then this vacation time, I never drink or at least I'm never going to drink after reading that article about what alcohol does to your muscles!

Is the past 6 weeks going to be for nothing if I drink a few on vacation??

Registered User TigerAngelLeigh's Avatar
    TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TurbulentFluid
    It's quite sad; really, most people I know seem to be unable to have a good time without being drunk! Talk about inhibited minds! Does this stuff happen to you? And what do you do in such cases? I'm usually the type to lose friends over this, but it's not pretty.
    My usual tactics in such cases is to give in for a while, then tell everyone they've had their fun and that now it's time for me to stop, and most of the time it works out, but if it doesn't, I scamper...
    I usually say I can't drink alcohol for dietary/health reasons - I gave up drinking a lot to cut down on calories and lose weight originally and then I got gastritis, which alcohol aggravates (though I can still drink a little if I want). If you want to be very devious, lie and say that your drink is alcoholic, although there is a risk of people smelling/tasting to see and I don't think you should have to lie.

The other tactic is to say outright: "I just don't enjoy drinking" My friends were very accepting of this, although a little surprised! Play hardball and refuse to drink anything alcoholic - they will soon see that they're wasting their money and stop. Just don't make a big deal out of it - say it once and stick to your guns.

The fact is that true friends will accept your feelings and respect you enough to not push the issue. Having an honest conversation about how hurt you are that they can't seem to be able to do this may make them see that their behaviour towards you is damaging.
    Last edited by TigerAngelLeigh; 07-26-2005 at 03:55 AM.

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for all your advice... I knew I was foolish, but you let me know just how much.

I'm really not the person to appeal to people emotions, I'll just tell them that I don't try stopping them from drinking nor thinking any less of them for doing it, and that I see no reason why they should harass me in the opposite way. There's really no point in losing all my hard - gained results over a couple of drinks I don't even enjoy. THANX!