psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

how to get deep enough to DL???

hey dudes. I used to be able to deadlift ok, **** weights, but my form was ok (I think). Atleast, it never felt like I was wrecking my lower back.

A few months ago I pulled 140 with good form, then tried 150 and I think my form went a bit **** (back not arched). Two days later I also got a 110 squat, although tbh I have NO idea about how deep I went. I *think* it was parallel but I cant tell at all. I cant go anywhere near ATG and dont have anything to use as a box.

After that I dropped back down to 100 for DL with the intention of working back up. I cant remember exactly when, and certainly not why, but at some point in the weeks after that 140 lift I totally lost the ability to deadlift. I cant keep my back arched deep enough to hold onto the bar, even with bare feet and the bar held in my fingers, giving like 2 more inches, I cant do it. Lifting 60kg without my back in good shape feels horribly heavy. Once or twice I somehow managed to get into good form and the bar flew up like there was nothing on it, so its not that ive lost loads of strength.

I didnt change anything in my training or life that could affect my felxibility so badly. Ive never been "flexible" at all, but always been able to squat down deep enough to hold the bar in DL.

I dont feel tension in my hamstrings when I try to keep my back arched, its just like my back wont arch, it just stays rounded, like my bottom vertebrae are all fused or some ****.

Could it infact just be my form rather than inflexibility, as in - I could do it immidiately if someone showed me what I was doing wrong in my form, rather than needing to spend time increasing flexibility.

I dont really think this is the case, because i try every way I can think of when I set up to DL, but nothing lets me arch my back. Watching videos of people DLing they can get it arched no problem. I guess its something most people can take for granted, but I totally cant do it atm.

I havent DLed or squatted for about 3.5 weeks now, and my back is **** because of it, so I think this week im gonna DL, with an arched back or rounded it wont matter, either one will make my back better than it is atm.

Any help u can offer me? Has anyone ever had this problem and sorted it out?

Ill probably jsut get 1 or 2 replies (one from danimal and one from me) but pls try to help me out if u can dudes, thanks

--Joe
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=633909

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey Joe.

About 1 and a half years ago, I had a problem sort of like yours. I sort of "lost my ability" to deadlift. I "forgot" how to pull. It was really weird. What I ended up doing was researching deadlift form, and practicing it with 135. Within a very short time, it came back to me.

About getting deep in the deadlift, I assume you mean your hips/butt getting low. The way to do this, is by arching your back at the start of the lift before you actually pull, and looking up. You don't even have to lift the bar to feel this happen! Try it. Just grab the bar, and arch your back while looking up. I guarantee you will get lower/hips will drop down.

Read these:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=586815
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=459964

Hope this helps.

-Steel

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by UnlimitedSteel
    Hey Joe.

About 1 and a half years ago, I had a problem sort of like yours. I sort of "lost my ability" to deadlift. I "forgot" how to pull. It was really weird. What I ended up doing was researching deadlift form, and practicing it with 135. Within a very short time, it came back to me.

About getting deep in the deadlift, I assume you mean your hips/butt getting low. The way to do this, is by arching your back at the start of the lift before you actually pull, and looking up. You don't even have to lift the bar to feel this happen! Try it. Just grab the bar, and arch your back while looking up. I guarantee you will get lower/hips will drop down.

Read these:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=586815
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=459964

Hope this helps.

-Steel

thanks for the links dude, but you got the wrong idea about what I meant. If I could do as you say, and hold the bar while arching my back, id be very happy. I cant keep my back arched while squatting low enough to reach the bar. Im about 6-12 inches off it, at best. So I can either arch my back, OR hold the bar. Both are required for a DL, so thats why im ****ed.

--Joe
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by psychojoe
    thanks for the links dude, but you got the wrong idea about what I meant. If I could do as you say, and hold the bar while arching my back, id be very happy. I cant keep my back arched while squatting low enough to reach the bar. Im about 6-12 inches off it, at best. So I can either arch my back, OR hold the bar. Both are required for a DL, so thats why im ****ed.

--Joe
    Have you tried grabbing the bar first, and then arching your back? That's how I do it. I don't squat down arched before grabbing the bar. Doesn't seem to work as well for me.

If grabbing the bar first, and then arching your back doesn't work, maybe you will have to work on this problem with rack pulls, and progressively going lower each week...maybe.

-Steel

Originally Posted by UnlimitedSteel
    Have you tried grabbing the bar first, and then arching your back? That's how I do it. I don't squat down arched before grabbing the bar. Doesn't seem to work as well for me.

If grabbing the bar first, and then arching your back doesn't work, maybe you will have to work on this problem with rack pulls, and progressively going lower each week...maybe.

-Steel
    yea, iirc thats how I usually set up, although its not recommended (lose the stretch reflex advantage and ****). Its easier to pull myself into good form with the bar anchoring me down. But still I cant do it that way either atm. When I go to the gym this week Ill practice with 60kg from the floor, as ive been doing in the last few workouts (3.5 weeks ago though) and if I cant do it ill do rackpulls as you suggest. I dont like rackpulls, they feel too different from deadlifts - but its better than nothing anyway.

Im not sure that ill be able to lower the bar progressively in the rack; I doubt rack pulls will increase my flexibility.

Theres no1 at my gym that I can ask for help about this either. No1 really gives a ****.

BTW do you know the radius of a normal 20kg/45lb plate? I have a small barbell at home, not olympic, and some plates but theyre all of a smaller diamter than 20kg plates. If i know how high the bar is off the floor, I could set up my bar on something to practice DL **** here

--Joe
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Originally Posted by psychojoe
    yea, iirc thats how I usually set up, although its not recommended (lose the stretch reflex advantage and ****). Its easier to pull myself into good form with the bar anchoring me down. But still I cant do it that way either atm. When I go to the gym this week Ill practice with 60kg from the floor, as ive been doing in the last few workouts (3.5 weeks ago though) and if I cant do it ill do rackpulls as you suggest. I dont like rackpulls, they feel too different from deadlifts - but its better than nothing anyway.

Im not sure that ill be able to lower the bar progressively in the rack; I doubt rack pulls will increase my flexibility.

Theres no1 at my gym that I can ask for help about this either. No1 really gives a ****.

BTW do you know the radius of a normal 20kg/45lb plate? I have a small barbell at home, not olympic, and some plates but theyre all of a smaller diamter than 20kg plates. If i know how high the bar is off the floor, I could set up my bar on something to practice DL **** here

--Joe
    Better than nothing I suppose eh.

Radius = 9"
    Diameter= 18"

Maybe you need to loosen up with a bike ride or something before your workout?

-Steel

Far Beyond Driven P0W3RLIFT3R87's Avatar
    P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have pretty much the same problem and now that I have thought about it and read several articles the last few weeks, I think I injured my back b/c I didn't and couldn't setup right. My back would always be somewhat rounded at the beginning, and I always figured it was ok as long as I tried to keep my back straight after I got a bit higher up in the pull. Now that I'm doing better, I'd like to try to deadlift again in the next few weeks. I tried setting up the proper way, without actually pulling, a few days ago. I couldn't keep my back arched and actually be able to grab the bar. And if I grabbed the bar, I couldn't arch my back and I would be leaning way forward. Wish I would have realized this a long time ago, but can't change that now. Anyways if anyone can help it would be appreciated.
    John McCain, a real American hero.
    Vote McCain for President:
    http://www.johnmccain.com/

fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you do reverse hypers? They are a great back rehad exercise and help with flexibility in the lower back.

Far Beyond Driven P0W3RLIFT3R87's Avatar
    P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) P0W3RLIFT3R87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fr0stbyte
    Do you do reverse hypers? They are a great back rehad exercise and help with flexibility in the lower back.
    No, I don't have one of those at my gym.
    John McCain, a real American hero.
    Vote McCain for President:
    http://www.johnmccain.com/

Originally Posted by P0W3RLIFT3R87
    No, I don't have one of those at my gym.
    nor do i
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Did you try sumo deadlifts? Conventional felt awkward for me at first so I went to a semi-sumo style and it seemed much more natural.
    "There is no room for failure now. The innocent must die."