zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Is it usually a diet or routine problem when you hit a plateau?

Well, my diet and routine been serving me well. But for the past 2 weeks, the scale been staying the same after I gained 5lbs. Do you consider this a plateau at all?

David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It is definitely a diet problem. If you are not gaining weight, it's your diet. If you are gaining weight, but it is just fat, it might be your routine and/or diet.

Eat 300 more calories a day and see what heppens.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by David77
    It is definitely a diet problem. If you are not gaining weight, it's your diet. If you are gaining weight, but it is just fat, it might be your routine and/or diet.

Eat 300 more calories a day and see what heppens.
    Not likely. If you are taking in more kCal than you are burning, and have a non-retarded routine, then you shouldn't plateau.

How is it that so many think it is a matter of what you eat?
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you getting enough recovery? By that i mean getting enough sleep every day, taking it easy on days off, not beating your body up too much. It really helps to have a training journal to keep record of what your doing in the gym, how you are feeling etc...
    Less food means less weight. More weight on bar means get stronger. Guy farts while squatting means great laughter. -Dan John-

David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dookie1481
    Not likely. If you are taking in more kCal than you are burning, and have a non-retarded routine, then you shouldn't plateau.

How is it that so many think it is a matter of what you eat?
    Uhh... yeah..

Since he is stuck at a plateau he isn't taking in as many calories as he should according to you. That is defined as a diet problem. I suggested that he take in more calories.

Good advice from Olifter. Sleep is king.

Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think the best way to get out of a plateau is to not get into one in the first place. If you "see it coming" ahead of time, you can make the necessary adjusments before it happens. I know guys who hit a plateu and have never gotten out of it, and I am talking about for years and year. When we struggle, we often want the solution to be one identifable thing, its diet, its supplement, its the gym I train at, etc, etc. Often, its a combination of things. I have posted the next article before, but thought I would re-post it in response to this question.

Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ever have one of those workouts that exceed all expectations. On just about every exercise, you break your personal record for weights and reps used. The feeling is absolutely exhilarating and you leave the gym completely invigorated. On the flip side, you have those workouts where nothing seems to go right. Instead of gaining you actually lose ground and you leave the gym, tired, sore and frustrated. If you do not have a long range game plan, that frustration can lead to a search for new program, a new supplement etc, and the cycle repeats itself over and over.

Workouts are a lot like the kick-off return team in football. You line up for each kick, stay in your lanes, and block your assignments and the kick returner runs as hard as he can. In most cases, you end up around the 20 yard line. Occasionally you reach midfield and once in a great while everything falls into place and the return man finds the seam and runs 100 yards for a touchdown. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you end up on the 8 yard line or even fumble and lose the ball.

I believe that progress is often a matter of working hard and smart on a consistent basis long enough for most of the workouts to be productive (20 yard returns) have a few really good ones (30-50 yard returns) the even rarer outstanding ones (touchdowns) and realizing that the bad workouts (8 yard returns and fumbles) are all part of the game. It is important to always keep in mind that progress is almost never linear and or constant except perhaps in the first year or so of training after which gains often come in isolated batches and often at unexpected times. This reminds me of when I was a boy and had to split logs into firewood. I would place the steel wedge into a seam in the log and then begin pounding it with a sledgehammer. After approximately 14 hard blows there was absolutely no visible evidence that the wedge had penetrated the log in any way. But the 15th blow would result in the wedge cleanly splitting the log into two or more pieces. The first 14 strikes did not appear to do much, but they were slowly breaking down the resistance of the wood.

It would difficult to deny that there is a certain cyclic element which can affect strength and athletic performance. This is one of the problems with many of the 12-16 week programs, where each workout is calculated based on a set percentage of your starting maximum weight -you end up being locked into lifting what the paper says, rather than in following the natural strength fluctuations of your body. You have to be patient and work for long term results, rather than in judging performance on a workout to workout basis.

As a general rule, an occasional bad workout is nothing to be concerned about. Bad workouts have a way of making the good ones seem even better by comparison. Anthony Ditillo, a noted strength author, once said that a bad workout is a sign that your body is in the process of rebuilding and repairing and there may be some truth to this. The worse thing about a bad workout is that is can cause you to question and doubt your program. You must have confidence and certainty in your program or you are destined for a lot of frustration and stalled progress. If you have a string of consecutive bad workouts, or have just hit a sticking point in your training, then there are several steps you can take to get back on the track to progress.

The first step is to analyze your workout recovery. Have you been getting enough quality rest, enough quality food and water? Adding some high quality protein and fresh vegetables, an extra hour of sleep each night or even performing some extra flexibility work will often be enough to get you back on the right track to progress. Remember that all recovery days are not equal, meaning that just because three days have passed since your last workout does not necessarily mean you have recovered. Those days might have been filled with extra physical and mental stress such as sick children which keep you up half the night, family matters, travel, eating on the run, final exams, all of which impede your recovery. Never be afraid to take some extra days of rest. Make the necessary adjustments as needed and when ready-attack the weights with renewed physical and mental energy.

The second step is to analyze and improve your exercise technique which I covered in my article entitled Developing Near Perfect Exercise Technique

The third step is to modify your training program-notice that I said modify, not change. If you have a decent program, based largely on the fundamentals, then chances are you just need to mix-up either your repetition scheme or the order of your basic movements. If you have been doing mostly low-medium reps, then perform higher reps for 4-5 sessions. If you have been doing nothing but high reps, then consider working in the lower rep range for a couple of weeks. Try rest pause training, the total tonnage system, power rack training, or timed sets for a couple of weeks to break the plateau, and then resume your normal routine. You may need to change the priority or order of your exercises. For example, if you have been stuck on the overhead press, and you always perform them after bench presses, try putting them first in your program for a month or two. All of us are somewhat greedy in that we want all of our lifts to be going up simultaneously. Many of the lifters of the past, such as Louis Abele would often spend 3 months at a time focusing on just one lift or one area of the body hammering it with reckless abandon, over and over again, making tremendous gains and them moving onto another area. I have done this on numerous occasions with great results and will share one example. When I was a competitive powerlifter, my deadlift was always the weakest of the three lifts. Having short arms, I was structurally at a dis-advantage for the deadlift (or so I was told and I believed it and used this as excuse to have a poor deadlift.) Since my deadlift was the poorest, it received the least attention in my program. I trained it, but never with the enthusiasm of the squat and bench. After growing tired of losing close competitions, I spent just over 5 months specializing and focusing on deadlift and back training. I really did not train it with any greater frequency then I had previously, but it became the top priority in my training. I broke down and analyzed my technique and worked hard at my weakest portions of the lift and they soon became my strong points! My number one assistance lift became the barbell row and I attacked this movement as if it were a lift itself. After five months of focused training, I gained a tremendous amount of back development and added 70lbs to my best deadlift single, which was more than I had gained in the previous three years combined. The strength and development also laid down a foundation for increases in my squat and bench press in the following year.

The fourth step is to intensify your leg and mid-section training. Lower body workouts, and more specifically, squats will do wonders for your overall strength and development and are an excellent way of breaking plateaus. If you can squat, then you should squat, hard and heavy with a variety of repetitions and a solid and precise technique. If you need do perform something other than squats, then do so with an all-out approach. All force generated by the musculoskeletal system in the upper and lower body originates, is stabilized by, or is transferred through the trunk and the lower torso. Given this fact, if you are going to develop your full strength potential, then this area must be worked. Intense abdominal training is a great way to break plateaus for the simple reason that it is very easy to neglect it in the first place. There a wide variety of exercises to choose from and virtually all are effective if performed correctly.

Pt. 2

The last area is your mental attitude and preparation towards your training. I believe that your attitude, enthusiasm and expectations towards your workouts pretty much dictate the results you achieve. Henry Ford summed it up when he said, "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, either way you will be right." This has pretty much been demonstrated and reinforced by just about every great human achievement in history. The good news is that you can control your attitude and expectations to a large degree. The mental preparation and expectation begins shortly after a workout is completed. Take a few minutes to evaluate the training session and then jot down some specific goals you wish to accomplish in the next session. I continue to be amazed by how few people will take the time to use written goals in their training program. Write the goals on an index card or a post-it note and stick it on your bathroom mirror, your refrigerator or some other place where you will frequently see it. The human mind cannot distinguish between what is real and what is imagined so it's important to spend some time mentally rehearsing your workout. When you enter the gym, you must expect and literally demand a good workout, rather than in just hoping and wishing for one. You have to develop and maintain the proper mental toughness and discipline which is necessary for you to reach your own potential. This toughness is largely the ability to deal with pain, fatigue and discomfort associated with hard and progressive training. There are tens of thousands of people who want better strength, development and conditioning and they are totally committed to spending two or more hours a day, six days a week in training, they are willing to buy supplements, equipment, they are willing to do just about anything……except to include and embrace pain, fatigue and discomfort as necessary in their training. In fact, everything they do, everything they buy, every excuse they make is to avoid pain, fatigue and discomfort at all costs. The closest thing that I know to a "lifting secret" is this: Once you are willing to be uncomfortable at times in your workout, it does not take long for you to get used to it, in fact you may look forward to it and thrive on it. This is when you will embark on the journey to achieving the potential that lies within you.

Keith Wassung

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

You're all forgetting one thing.

The guy hasn't gained any weight in two weeks. That's way too short a time frame to push the panic buttons.

A)Some people grow in spurts.

B)He may have gained muscle and lost some fat.

C)His 5lb weight gain from before could have been partially water which can disappear easily.

I'd say start worrying if this goes on for a month. Better yet, take pictures every so often to judge progress.
    My 3 golden rules for weight training.
    1. Stress the muscle through progressive overload.
    2. Stress the muscles in the path the fibres run.
    3. Stress the muscle with maximum contraction, stretch and static holds.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i would look at the picture evrey month or two, not every week or two

week-to-week i judge if my lifts are increasing. i look at weeight gain in the longer term (mponth, not weeks)
    <->

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by akaMarko
    The guy hasn't gained any weight in two weeks. That's way too short a time frame to push the panic buttons.

A)Some people grow in spurts.

B)He may have gained muscle and lost some fat.

C)His 5lb weight gain from before could have been partially water which can disappear easily.

I'd say start worrying if this goes on for a month. Better yet, take pictures every so often to judge progress.
    Best post in this thread. I've been sitting here pondering the same thing as I read all the responses.

999natas999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 999natas999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 999natas999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its too early to panic... IF it is a plateau then look at how you train, maybe you have been doing the same routine for who knows how long... my job is lifting 55pound bags all day, you lose a little fat and gain some endurance in the beginning then it stops.
    food is good but need to recover and not overtrain..
    getting sick would stop some gains...

for now, 2 weeks is too early, going by what ive read, certain injectable roids can take a couple weeks to take affect in the body... if taking something like that can take time then doing it naturally most likely definetly will also
    One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.