DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Too much protein no need

hi people but i think that too much protein is not needed to do good at the gym. I consume like around 60-80g of protein a day and i weigh 160 pounds. I have tried consuming 200g but it still does not make any difference. has any other people experimented this. Your body doesnt actually need that much protein. If you also eat more carbs this may also help increase your testosterone levels i heard.

turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50) turkish will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DaRk_StAr
    hi people but i think that too much protein is not needed.
    What's the purpose of the "but" in this sentence?

I consume like around 60-80g of protein a day
    Seriously, you need way more protein than that in order to get optimal results from your training.
    Last edited by turkish; 07-22-2005 at 03:28 PM.

littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi people but i think that too much protein is not needed to do good at the gym. I consume like around 60-80g of protein a day and i weigh 160 pounds. I have tried consuming 200g but it still does not make any difference. has any other people experimented this. Your body doesnt actually need that much protein. If you also eat more carbs this may also help increase your testosterone levels i heard.
    If you haven't noticed better gains using 200g compared to 60-80g, it's because you have freaky, abnormal biochemistry, or it doesn't make a difference because you're not eating enough to begin with.

Also, eating more protein helps many people keep lean. If you're not eating 1.5g+ protein per pound of lean body weight, you're going to have to make up those calories with either fat or carbohydrate, both of which contribute to many people adding extra body fat.
    - Get about 1.5 g of protein/lb of lean body weight/day
    - Take at least 40-50 g of whey protein immediately post-workout
    - Take 5 g of creatine monohydrate pre/post-workout
    - Take a daily multivitamin
    - Get at least 8 hours of quality sleep
    - Take 2 or 3 days/week off. Rest allows growth.

littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    P.S. This should be in the nutrition section.
    - Get about 1.5 g of protein/lb of lean body weight/day
    - Take at least 40-50 g of whey protein immediately post-workout
    - Take 5 g of creatine monohydrate pre/post-workout
    - Take a daily multivitamin
    - Get at least 8 hours of quality sleep
    - Take 2 or 3 days/week off. Rest allows growth.

Hunting for moar fibras martydaman's Avatar
    martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dark star, that quite a statement considering all scientific evidence proves otherwise. Im interested to know what exerience you have with this and how long you've been testing your theory
    "A good thread is like a miniskirt. Short enough to keep you interested, and long enough to cover the entire subject"

nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz
    You can eat 1000 grams of protein a day....if you dont have your nutrition and workout in line.....it wont matter. I say at the very very least, consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by martydaman
    Dark star, that quite a statement considering all scientific evidence proves otherwise. Im interested to know what exerience you have with this and how long you've been testing your theory
    Actually, "scientific" evidence yields slightly lower guidelines (1.2 to 1.8 g/kg body weight (BW) for protein depending on the level of physical activity) than the common recommendations by protein product manufacturers.(1-3) In fact, a meta-analysis of various studies exploring protein consumption of 2-3 g/kg BW indicates that protein intakes that high are not necessary to induce growth and yield no significant benefits beyond the above posted guideline.(4)

One must also consider the role of carbohydrates and fats as sources for energy. Adequate supplies of those two macronutrients can have a protein sparing effect and potentially leave ingested protein primarily for anabolic purposes. Interestingly, prison populations don't adhere to strict protein ratios, or even general macronutrient ratios. Yet, inmates are still some of the most physically developed subpopulations within society. Furthermore, it's always important to remember that each body is different and each body will respond to different macronutrient ratios.

1. Manore MM. Exercise and the Institute of Medicine recommendations for nutrition. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2005 Aug;4(4):193-8.

2. Lambert CP, Frank LL, Evans WJ. Macronutrient considerations for the sport of bodybuilding. Sports Med. 2004;34(5):317-27.

3. No authors listed. Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and athletic performance. J Am Diet Assoc. 2000 Dec;100(12):1543-56.

4. Tipton KD, Wolfe RR. Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.

BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Magnetic
    Actually, "scientific" evidence yields slightly lower guidelines (1.2 to 1.8 g/kg body weight (BW) for protein depending on the level of physical activity) than the common recommendations by protein product manufacturers.(1-3) In fact, a meta-analysis of various studies exploring protein consumption of 2-3 g/kg BW indicates that protein intakes that high are not necessary to induce growth and yield no significant benefits beyond the above posted guideline.(4)

One must also consider the role of carbohydrates and fats as sources for energy. Adequate supplies of those two macronutrients can have a protein sparing effect and potentially leave ingested protein primarily for anabolic purposes. Interestingly, prison populations don't adhere to strict protein ratios, or even general macronutrient ratios. Yet, inmates are still some of the most physically developed subpopulations within society. Furthermore, it's always important to remember that each body is different and each body will respond to different macronutrient ratios.

1. Manore MM. Exercise and the Institute of Medicine recommendations for nutrition. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2005 Aug;4(4):193-8.

2. Lambert CP, Frank LL, Evans WJ. Macronutrient considerations for the sport of bodybuilding. Sports Med. 2004;34(5):317-27.

3. No authors listed. Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and athletic performance. J Am Diet Assoc. 2000 Dec;100(12):1543-56.

4. Tipton KD, Wolfe RR. Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    ok i will admit your right about the calcium thing....... but this time i got to disagree with u........ just because some study says that dosn't mean it's wrong to eat 1-2 grams of protien per lean pound of mass...i noticed alot more gains when i upped my protien to 1.5x my lean mass..... most study follow certain restrictions...and are often wrong..... i believe this is a touchy area and eveyone has to found out what "they" respond to......... no study in this is going to know.......... i say make how much is working for U not wat anyone else says or some lab study............

Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BigRagu
    just because some study says that dosn't mean it's wrong to eat 1-2 grams of protien per lean pound of mass...............
    I never said it was wrong. Recommended guidelines are established by population based studies. The guideline represents a 95% confidence interval. Therefore, 95% of the population represented by the study will respond favorably to the guidelines. In fact, those particular guidelines were formulated with regard to the athletic subpopulation (NCAA athletes, pro athletes, etc.), not random sedentary individuals. However, there is always a 5% error ratio. Furthermore, this does not take into account individual variation. Guidelines are meant to do just that...guide, the rest must be individually formulated. It is essential to understand how such guidelines are formulated before haphazardly attacking their merit.

i noticed alot more gains when i upped my protien to 1.5x my lean mass..... ............
    Perhaps you overlooked this part of my post: "Furthermore, it's always important to remember that each body is different and each body will respond to different macronutrient ratios." There is always a reasonable explanation why 0.5X, 1.5X, or 2X, will work for different people.

most study follow certain restrictions...and are often wrong..... ............
    You just can't make broad assumptions like that. The restrictions you speak of are necessary components of a well conducted randomized CONTROLLED trial. Such trials are designed to ideally negate, if not at least subdue, the effect of other variables in order to determine the impact of one or more particular variables. A study on it's own can be compelling, but when several studies report similar outcomes, there is reason to heed to the trend.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 07-22-2005 at 06:06 PM.

BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ok u said 95% of the population will respond to protien intake under 1 gram per pound .... sure they will but will it be best for muscle growth or strength........ NO..... powerlifters and bodybuilders alike........ i have yet to see any powerlifter or bb that is putting up high numbers or winning comps with small amounts of protien........ if u notice everyone on these boards recommends 1-2 grams per pound because that is what works for them...... so considering most people on her follow THAT guildline and it's working much better then yours was for them i think that yours is wrong and higher protien is correct........ most people on here at are not making good gains because of diet and once fixed they see a big change

and yes i can say that studies follow certain guildlines and and wrong sometimes.......... depending on how they trained there carb and fat intake........ i could seriously careless what these "CONTROLLED STUDIES" said for this..... in the reality low amounts of protien does not product the results that a higher protien diet would........ plain and simple....... other then that u got to take into consideration that any1 just starting to workout is going to make great gains anyway......

and everyone i know personally that has a 1/2 way decent body......... they keep a good diet and protien over 1 gram per pound of lean body mass........ so your study says one thing but real world studies shows another.......

ok u said 95% of the population will respond to protien intake under 1 gram per pound .... sure they will but will it be best for muscle growth or strength........ NO..... powerlifters and bodybuilders alike........ i have yet to see any powerlifter or bb that is putting up high numbers or winning comps with small amounts of protien........ if u notice everyone on these boards recommends 1-2 grams per pound because that is what works for them...... so considering most people on her follow THAT guildline and it's working much better then yours was for them i think that yours is wrong and higher protien is correct........ most people on here at are not making good gains because of diet and once fixed they see a big change

and yes i can say that studies follow certain guildlines and and wrong sometimes.......... depending on how they trained there carb and fat intake........ i could seriously careless what these "CONTROLLED STUDIES" said for this..... in the reality low amounts of protien does not product the results that a higher protien diet would........ plain and simple....... other then that u got to take into consideration that any1 just starting to workout is going to make great gains anyway......

and everyone i know personally that has a 1/2 way decent body......... they keep a good diet and protien over 1 gram per pound of lean body mass........ so your study says one thing but real world studies shows another.......
    Do you just randomly pick out one or two words out of each sentence and run with them? It's apparent you're not quite comprehending what you read, not to mention what you're writing in response. You must be young, it's obvious you haven't quite grasped the idea of diplomacy and unbiased approaches to topics.

Originally Posted by Magnetic
    Do you just randomly pick out one or two words out of each sentence and run with them? It's apparent you're not quite comprehending what you read, not to mention what you're writing in response. You must be young, it's obvious you haven't quite grasped the idea of diplomacy and unbiased approaches to topics.
    no i just notice u always post some study and run with it......... i don't want to turn this into some big war between me and u........ USE WAT WORKS FOR U NOT WAT A STUDY says................

let me make this simple......... in the real world higher protien makes better gains... for me and everyone i know period......... your study might say otherwise and that's fine but from wait i have seen it's wrong........

no i'm not young i just know what works for me........ if your trying to bash the stucture of what i wrote....... i have said this b4 and have said it again.... this isn't an english class....... i don't need to make it all pretty....... im not getting graded on it....

btw how much protien do u intake per day?