joshme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Arrow Firefighter's Workout

I'm a 17 year old guy that wants to become a firefighter after high school is over. I've been reading up on life as a firefighter, and some thing that concerns me is that I wont be strong enough to to the job. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a shrimp. I go to the gym and lift weights almost every day. An older guy that I'm friends with just passed his Captain's Exam and his actualy kind of a small guy. I guess you could say that I'm strong, but I don't want to be in a fire and unable to pull someone out. Does anyone have a good program that I could follow to help me? Thanks

Buffalo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You will need to be able to master your own body weight with ease for this job. I would say pull ups (wide grip, close grip, over hand, under hand etc) and dips would be a must.

You should definately have a significant focus on your legs also. You don't want to be running out of a building that is on fire and have your legs give out on you. Assume the average person weighs 170lbs, then I personally would want to be able to squat atleast 300lbs for 10 reps+ before I start running around with someone on my back! Very good question though......

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your only 17 years old man. You have plenty of time to develop strength. My advice is to continue working out and keep making gains. Make sure your workout routine and diet are both sound. If you want, post your workout and diet.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

bizzywizzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^^yeh

mostly bodyweight stuff and legs..ohh and dont be scared of heights

oops i meant the post above this one so....

^^^^^
    ---------
    ^^^^^^

??

My routine is very loose. I go to the gym almost every day, except weekend. I start with a half hour of cardio followed by lifting. I work my upper body on Monday and Thursday, and lower body on Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday is either a rest day or, if I feel like it, I work body parts that I feel didn't get worked hard enough from the other two days. I don't do the same exercises every time either. Sure I do the ones I like the best every time, like curls, flyes, leg presses, crunches, lat pull downs, ect. But I also like to try different machines that I either never noticed before, or haven’t tried yet. This keeps my workouts feeling fresh and fun, so I don't get burnt out. My diet isn't very special either. I try to drink at least 80 oz of water a day, and just eat sensibly. I don't take any supplements, manly because I don't have any money to buy them. I am considering trying to eat the 5-6 small meals a day, but I'll do some more research on the program first.

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll need functional strength to be a good fireman, get off those machines and hit the free weight section. I'd also suggest doing a lot of weight carrying such as farmers walks and barbell walks.
    Less food means less weight. More weight on bar means get stronger. Guy farts while squatting means great laughter. -Dan John-

How do you do those walks?

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Olifter
    You'll need functional strength to be a good fireman, get off those machines and hit the free weight section. I'd also suggest doing a lot of weight carrying such as farmers walks and barbell walks.
    I agree. Stop using so many machines and focus on free weight compound lifts and maybe even some oly lifts. You can do a pre-made program where you do different lifts, rep/sets, loads each workout so you wont get bored with the routine. Check out this routine...

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=693794
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AiRiC21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

here

I wish i knew of this vest when i was your age http://www.nefitco.com/xvest8484.html but then again i think i would have knee problems carrying around 80 pounds all of a sudden... You might want to get 20 or 40 pound ones but if you think about it fat people run and what not

I myself am not sure which one to buy? anytime a guru wants to step into this be my guest

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by joshme
    How do you do those walks?
    For the farmers walk grab a couple of heavy dumbells and go for a walk, for a barbell walk grab a heavy barbell and put it on your back as if you are going to squat and take a walk, another idea is to deadlift a heavy weight and take a walk carrying the bar. From what my friend tells me he has to carry a lot of heavy stuff during his fireman training.
    Less food means less weight. More weight on bar means get stronger. Guy farts while squatting means great laughter. -Dan John-

vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Im a firefighter and Ill tell you the best thing for me has been doing HIIT cardio. Most of the times in fires you are gonna be doing heavy work in short bursts. Remember a bottle of air usually lasts only 15-20 minutes.

Hauling that hoseline around and setting up ventilation fans need strength and endurance. Do lots of back exercises. Rows, deadlifts, chinups are awesome. Also hitting the squats will make life easier. As for cardio running, stairclimber, and row machine are my three exercises.

Eat 6 meals a day and drink tons of water when you are on duty cause you never know when the big one will happen. Hope this helps some.

vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I was thinking of one more thing. Your everyday life at the station will include cleaning, doing all kinds of random tasks, etc.

Focus on back, shoulders, and legs with a big emphasis on cardio. Its sad to say but most firefighters are overweight/obese. Make the healthy choices now and dont become that way. Its not only your life you might save, but someone elses.

Birrer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, I am a newbie here. When I saw this thread I was very interested cuz I am also trying to be a firefighter. I am not to sure what test they do in your area but here we use the CPAT (candidate physical ability test) test. It covers the physical aspects of firefighting by testing us on actual firefighting skills. The link below has 3 pdf files. the 1st one is CPAT oreintation guide. Its gives an over view of all the testing stations. the 2nd one is CPAT prep guide. It has all the tests, good workout routines to prep for the test and ways to practice the skills at home so you are more prepared for the test. Even if your area doesnt use the CPAT this is a great way to get ready for a physical test.

http://www.ci.castlerock.co.us/Page.asp?NavID=659

signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) signal20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im a firefighter/Emt.

Youd be fine with a good bodyweight program, like the navy seal workout book uses. Also, cardio and strength are equally important.

I currently do the "3day a week workout (HIT)", and on my days off I do boxing training for endurance.

If you want to get Hardcore training:

Get a weighted vest and hike with it or
    we used to get a truck or car tire, tie a rope to it, around the waist and run with it.
    get an axe and a big log and chop with a weighted vest on
    find a dummy to drag.

Plyometrics are also great. Just get inventive, and if you do lift weights, stick to basic lifts like deads, squats, and bench (also pullups and dips).

Get inventive and have fun with it.