Thread: The Total Gym

Registered User Eye_surrendered's Avatar
    Eye_surrendered has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question The Total Gym

Hey There,

Not so long ago I was given a Total Gym Ultra from my mother,lol. I have somewhat faith that this has to be good for some things. I can see maybe using it to get toned or something along those lines. I guess what I am posting this on here for is to maybe get some feedback. So if you have a testimony or some cool exercises please do share. I would really like to hear people's opinions and thier experience's with the Total Gym. Is this peace of exercise equipment useful, which I think to extent it is for things like tris and abs, but can a person really grow and push himself on it?

Thanks Guys
    Billy

gregl515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Total Gym

You can use Total Gym for cardio workout on off days and for warmups on workout days. It works well for that purpose.

Yeah, That would for sure be good way to put the Total Gym to use!

thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

There are alot of good exercises you can do on the TG. It is really good if you have a model that allows you to add weights. Mine is . I paid around $250.00 on Dick's Sporting Goods web site. Try doing the exercise called the swimmer for your back. Then do some iron crosses. You will see that you are able to get some good workouts on it.
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

brb Bowhunting!!! Hexagonal Spice's Avatar
    Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hexagonal Spice is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It is good for strength. I find that all self weight excersises are great strength builders. Plus, you can't go wrong if Chuck Norris says its the best!

Yeah,

Chuck is the man.

thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thunderchild is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

It is good for strength building. I can add weights to mine as I need. I know that I have to keep it on the lower settings so far to do an Iron Cross. That exercise is harder than it looks. Also, I do chin-ups, pull-ups and overhead presses every other day. I have had to move more towards working out with the TG because I have found out that my shoulders hate BP's now. They ache in the joints for 2 to 3 days. DOMS is cool, joint pain is not. The TG is alot easier on my joints.
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Getting Bigger Each Day. FaceThePain's Avatar
    FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000)
    Look underneath of the sliding board.
    Do you see the capped up holes?
    Remove the caps, slide a standard weight bar through, add plated in each side, and you'll be doing your bodyweight, PLUS whatever weight you add.
    Less than 11% bodyfat, and STILL no overly shown abs.
    **** genetics lol.

Muscles by D.O.T. Brother Steel's Avatar
    Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Steel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Eye_surrendered View Post
    Hey There,

Not so long ago I was given a Total Gym Ultra from my mother,lol. I have somewhat faith that this has to be good for some things. I can see maybe using it to get toned or something along those lines. I guess what I am posting this on here for is to maybe get some feedback. So if you have a testimony or some cool exercises please do share. I would really like to hear people's opinions and thier experience's with the Total Gym. Is this peace of exercise equipment useful, which I think to extent it is for things like tris and abs, but can a person really grow and push himself on it?

Thanks Guys
    Billy
    When it comes to bodybuilding nothing beats free weights. If you expect the Total Gym to produce bodybuilding results, you will be disappointed. However, if you are looking to tone up, build a good muscle base and lose weight then the Total Gym is a great product.

I was in an auto accident and had rehab using a commercial version of the Total Gym. There was no way I could at that time use conventional weights. I was able to regain my muscle tone and muscle function doing therapy on the total gym. The model I used in rehab could be fitted with weight plates to provide more resistance. While I only in rehab for about 8 weeks I was starting to "outgrow" the machine. If someone were just starting out lifting weights, they would not outgrow the machine that fast.

One thing I did like about the Total gym was the stretch you could get with the machine. They make versions of the Total Gym that are made to do Pilates on. I have been thinking of getting one just for that. I saw pictures of Jay Cutter doing Pilates in his training for the Mr. O.
    Here's what is happening in my neck of the woods....

Paving the way so the rubber can hit the road!

Repping back since 06!
    Reps owed:

Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Juice32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey There,

Thanks Guys
    Billy
    So funny, my mom gave me her Total Gym too haha, last year when my license was suspended. I couldn't get to the gym everyday so I worked out on the "Chuck" as my friends call it heh. They would make fun of me etc.

But I feel like I got some really good workouts on it. You have to use higher rep ranges since all you have is your own bodyweight to work with. But thats doable for most bodyparts, with the exception of legs, I didnt feel like I could get a good workout for them. If you do legs on them try 1 leg at a time etc to make it heavier.

Also the Total Gym has its own website with all the excersizes you can do so go check it out before you get started.

And yes you can definitely get bigger/stronger using that Total Gym, might not be as good as a gym membership, but it will do in a pinch or on days you cant get to the gym.

My buddies called me a nerd for using the "Chuck", but when I returned to the gym I was as big as I ever was. Dont doubt the power of Chuck Norris.

Originally Posted by FaceThePain View Post
    Look underneath of the sliding board.
    Do you see the capped up holes?
    Remove the caps, slide a standard weight bar through, add plated in each side, and you'll be doing your bodyweight, PLUS whatever weight you add.
    Bummer,

My Total Gym Model does not have that option. It would have made it a whole lot better.

Some good info guys... thanks

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I like the way you move while doing it, it must vary the angle or something. An interesting tool.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey There,

Thanks Guys
    Billy
    For those who are not very strong I think it's great for. It's probably one of the best pieces of equipment for those going through some sort of injury rehabilitiation. For bodybuilders I think it's probably a mistake.

soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000) soljah808 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    For those who are not very strong I think it's great for. It's probably one of the best pieces of equipment for those going through some sort of injury rehabilitiation. For bodybuilders I think it's probably a mistake.
    uncle insisted i take his total gym XLS today, sitting in my garage not sure if shud use or sell on craigslist. Probably okay to use on off days or days i cant make it to the gym??
    Ϫ~Ϫ~Ϫ~ Official Hawaii Crew ~Ϫ~Ϫ~Ϫ
    Genuinely Nice Guy Crew
    Misc BJJ Crew
    Miscers that lift crew
    Cold Shower Crew

michaeljonnes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Total Gym is good for active warm-up. I don't think it will be able to build big muscles.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stimulus is stimulus. Here's the question, can you hit 0 RIR with 30 reps or less on a particular exercise using it? If so, then it's stimulative enough to cause growth. If not, then it's too light to reliably cause hypertrophy and you'll have to find a way to make things harder.

Registered User AccomplishCoyot's Avatar
    AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    Stimulus is stimulus. Here's the question, can you hit 0 RIR with 30 reps or less on a particular exercise using it? If so, then it's stimulative enough to cause growth. If not, then it's too light to reliably cause hypertrophy and you'll have to find a way to make things harder.
    What you say is correct, but why would you bother resurrecting a thread from 13 years ago to say it?

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AccomplishCoyot View Post
    What you say is correct, but why would you bother resurrecting a thread from 13 years ago to say it?
    Didn't realize it was a necro by michaeljonnes. Look at the bright side, the OP finally gets his answer and can start training.