Chaostix666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question time between sets

hey guys, i was just wondering if there was a specific or recommended time needed in between SETS. Or is it just something you develop as a habit.

thanks.
    "Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."
    - U.S. Rangers

UBIQUE!

RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000) RiPPEDTiDE is just really nice. (+1000)
    it takes different time to say rest between power cleans as it would tricep extensions, basically you just wait for your breathing to return to normal, or the time it takes for your partnet to do a set.
    \in*ten*si*ty\ - Exceptionally great concentration, power, or force.
    see also: KAMEHAMEHA!!!

H.V.T. - High Volume Training!

Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000) Mark21087 is just really nice. (+1000)
    For arms its going to be shorter then for squats but generally between, 1 to 3 minutes.
    "Don't give up, your too strong"-Earl Simmons

MARYLAND STATE CUP NATURAL BODYBUILDING CHAMPIONSHIPS 2nd place Teen division

waterbuckat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by RiPPEDTiDE
    it takes different time to say rest between power cleans as it would tricep extensions, basically you just wait for your breathing to return to normal, or the time it takes for your partnet to do a set.
    Ya, you can have a set time or you can wait until you feel ready. Good set times would be like 1-2 minutes if your focus is losing weight, 3-5 minutes for bulking.
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

[url=http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=283489&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1]My Journal[/url]

God Bless!

Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For bodybuilders no more than 90 seconds is highly recommended from many sources I have read.
    People who go around pretending to know everything are annoying those of us who really do.

Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Icex999 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    depends on rep schemes...if ur going to failure with less than 6 resps...give urself 2 minutes or less....if 8-12...give urself 1:30 or less....if higher than 12, 1:00 or less.

BiG RED HH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by waterbuckat

Ya, you can have a set time or you can wait until you feel ready. Good set times would be like 1-2 minutes if your focus is losing weight, 3-5 minutes for bulking.
    Whats the difference? Your weight training scheme should not change either way. Doing high reps and low rest will not yield any great FAT loss, then if you were to lift heavy and take longer between sets. Diet and cardio burns fat, not training like a fitness bunny.

Originally posted by Machine
    For bodybuilders no more than 90 seconds is highly recommended from many sources I have read.
    Where did you read this, flex?

It depends on a number of things. The exercise, reps, and intensity. People talk about banging out 20 sets in under 50 minutes...i do about 6-8 in under 50 minutes, but i also train w. such a high intensity, im ready to puke after a set of curls. You need to find what works for you. For me, its longer breaks between sets. I need to get my focus to be full, not half way there.

Br

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    BigRed is right... it does not matter weather you are bulking or cutting... If I do like 20rep. squats... I wait about 4 minutes or so... usually 2-3 minutes is good for packing on mass and giving your muscle maximum overload... we look to overload our muscles to actually make them grow... not fatigue them and pump them up to make them look bigger... ronnie coleman takes as much as 6 minutes rest... he takes upwards of 2 minutes on small exercises... like lateral raises...

overload is key... not fatigue... you have to constantly be able to lift the heaviest weight possible and your heartrate should be back to normal...

SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

60 seconds

i've heard between 60 and 90 seconds, but you really don't want to wait longer than that.
    *** There is no one free of all need, of whom all else are in absolute need, but God ***

Pbuh: If anyone testifies that None has the right to be worshipped but God Alone Who has no partners, and that Muhammad is His Servant and His Apostle, and that Jesus is God's Servant and His Apostle and His Word which He bestowed on Mary and a Spirit created by Him, and that Paradise is true, and Hell is true, God will admit him into Paradise

Re: 60 seconds

Originally posted by SYRIANKID
    i've heard between 60 and 90 seconds, but you really don't want to wait longer than that.
    Why not? Give me a reason, not "oh..but ive heard blah blah blah" bs.

Br

thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000) thugluv is just really nice. (+1000)
    Big Red how much time do you rest betweens sets (curls or triceps exercices..) I always tried to rest no too long to keep constant stress on my muscles.. do you think I should give them enough time to fully rest and when theyre ready bang them again?
    I rape back.
    If you were half as good as me you'd be close to perfection.
    "Shortcuts are for pussies. You need to work your ass off." - Brock Lesnar

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    for arms... probably a bit shorter... 90 seconds or so... but since Red uses HIT... he would probably rest longer to insure complete overload?

I rest about 90 seconds unless i'm purposely going for a pump or supersetting... the I do one exercise after another (obviously) then give myself about 1 minute rest before I hit it again...

Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

60-90 seconds, and here's why

Allright, I really don't think you need to rest all that long unless your doing heavy compound exercises, which tend to take more out of you, and require a greater mental focus.

Why 60-90? For me, and many others, weight lifting requires a mental focus, I prepare and think about my workouts all day long prior to them. If I wait longer than 1-2 mins, I start to lose my mental focus, and my mind wanders away from what I'm doing.

There is a definant mind to muscle connection, it requires focus, and this peronally helps me keep it.

Also lactic acid is mostly cleared from the muscle after 90 secs, and breathing usually returns to normal at the same time.

This also shortens your workout, which is a good thing because you can only stay at mazximum intensity for so long, I don't care who you are. Dorian Yates was a big believed in this.
    . . . .I'm Huge. . . .The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. Jules "Pulp Fiction"

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    60seconds? lol, that's waaaaaaaaaay too short. If you're going balls out hardcore, you'll want 2-3minutes for most lifts, 4-5minutes for like squatting, bench, deadlift

Right now, because i'm limitd to 2 13minute sessions/day, I only give myself 1 1/2 minutes of rest, then lift, then rest.

Let me tell you, after 14minutes of that, i'm beat, literally. Because i can't train alot with my condition, i maximize my time and go balls out hardcore.

If you can keep up that pace for an hour, then you arn't training hardcore.

If you do like 100pds, then drop it to 95/90 then to like 85, yea, i could see it, but doing the same weight, same reps, for 3-4sets, with 60-90seconds rest for 50-60minutes would be impossible to do with full intensity.

on edit: if you lose your mental focus after 90seconds, then that's really hamerping you. You should be able to surge with intensity, lift balls out, back off, cool down, maintain your focus, then repeat.

Well, i know there isn't much point preaching on and on, but trust me, go do, for example, skull crushers with 140pds*6reps. and see if you can do it for 6reps 2 more times

and, just for the record, i usually break 2 1/2-3minutes for stuff like curling, 4-5minutes for hardcore stuff like squatting, deadlifting, benching
    Last edited by amusclehead; 08-22-2002 at 05:07 PM.
    Booo

TerraBulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rest long enough so you don't enter failure on the first rep but not so long that your muscles begin to relax.
    light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.

set the man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Curls actually take just as much out of me as benchpress. It seems like that last rep i strain for and eventually get goes on for ever. I take atleast 2 minutes between each set. On deadlifts or squats sometimes 5. Keep in mind, im only doing a maximum of 8 sets per session (usually more around 5-6)

Br

SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SYRIANKID has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

fine

60-90 is what I use on most lifts so that I die after each 8 reps
    it depends on you and the excercise as long as you don't reach failure too early
    *** There is no one free of all need, of whom all else are in absolute need, but God ***

Pbuh: If anyone testifies that None has the right to be worshipped but God Alone Who has no partners, and that Muhammad is His Servant and His Apostle, and that Jesus is God's Servant and His Apostle and His Word which He bestowed on Mary and a Spirit created by Him, and that Paradise is true, and Hell is true, God will admit him into Paradise

Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000) Cloud is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by Luke530
    for arms... probably a bit shorter... 90 seconds or so... but since Red uses HIT... he would probably rest longer to insure complete overload?

I rest about 90 seconds unless i'm purposely going for a pump or supersetting... the I do one exercise after another (obviously) then give myself about 1 minute rest before I hit it again...

no,NO, N O !

Why so little? You can rest for like 10 minutes if you feel stronger then. After a tough bench set i take about 5 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less, i just dont do any sets until i feel my energy again, otherwise i would loose couple reps for sure.

Conclusion: More resting makes indirectly MORE MUSCLE STIMULATION then less.

There are no rules about it, whenever you are ready for another set...

Cloud

Originally posted by Cloud

no,NO, N O !

Why so little? You can rest for like 10 minutes if you feel stronger then. After a tough bench set i take about 5 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less, i just dont do any sets until i feel my energy again, otherwise i would loose couple reps for sure.

Conclusion: More resting makes indirectly MORE MUSCLE STIMULATION then less.

There are no rules about it, whenever you are ready for another set...

Cloud

I was talking about my arms... read my previous posts... for bench, squat, deadlift... I usually rest about 3+ minutes...

paulaussie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulaussie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) paulaussie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

!!!!!!!

OPTIMAL REST PERIODS IS 60seconds.. U WANT TO RECRUIT MORE MUSLCE MASS **** LIFTING HEAVY weight arnold and serge and jay cutler do this 8-12reps for mass jay never lifts anything under 8reps for bulking