Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

expired protein powder?

Does anyone know if expired protein works the same as fresh protein? I cant imagine that it does, but i'm not a molecular scientist

thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I don't really know much about science, but I am guessing that maybe the protein itself isn't expired but other nutrients or ingredients withing the powder/liquid/bar/whatever is, and it can be harmful to your health, or maybe the protein is expired.

Or maybe it is a big conspiracy involving all the corporations manufacturing protein so that they can earn more money :-D

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah i dunno....i mean you wouldnt think that anything in a dehydrated powder form would ever go "bad". I can see bars and shakes going bad because of milk and other un-dehyrated ingredients. I was at a health store the other day and a friend of mine works there. She told me that you can buy "expired" protein powder for like 40-60% off the regular price...it's really up to the discrepancy of the store. Either way it's a hell of a deal.

So i wonder if there is a difference as far as absorbtion etc between fresh and expired protein powders.

ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A local discount store was selling twinlab nitrate fuel for $10 with a exp. date of 5/5/05. I e-mailed twinlab and they said that nitrate fuel taken within a year of the exp. date would be fine. They also said that the nitrate fuel would last longer because of the individual packets too. I don't think I would take any protein from a 5lb jug if it was a year out of date.

marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marshallbd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironman1964bc
    A local discount store was selling twinlab nitrate fuel for $10 with a exp. date of 5/5/05. I e-mailed twinlab and they said that nitrate fuel taken within a year of the exp. date would be fine. They also said that the nitrate fuel would last longer because of the individual packets too. I don't think I would take any protein from a 5lb jug if it was a year out of date.
    Expiration dates are an invention of the USDA Food and Drug administration. Most companies will figure the shelf life of an item and then place an expiration date that is approximately 1/2 - 2/3 of that shelf life. Shelf life is the actual time that the product remains viable from packaging until no longer consumable. Hope that helps in some way.

ElPeña has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElPeña has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElPeña has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    would putting u protein powder in th freezer help preseve it, i'm jut guessing.

ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My 2 pound containers last me a WEEK at most! Are you guys seriously having trouble consuming your protein before it expires?
    Bigger than the big guy at your gym ... at 8% bodyfat

Feel free to rep me if I've helped, and I'll do the same for you.

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

I'm only wondering because i'd rather buy the same, expired tub for $40 rather than 80$ for a "fresh" tub....expecially if it produces the same results. Just ask one of the workers at a store about expired protein...they have tons of them sitting in the back. They usually sell them for half price because it's illegal to have products sitting out that are beyond their shelf life.

ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

$80 for protein powder?

How many pounds is the container? $80 is a LOT of money to spend on protein. What brand is it and how much comes in the container?
    Bigger than the big guy at your gym ... at 8% bodyfat

Feel free to rep me if I've helped, and I'll do the same for you.

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

I'm talking canadian $$$. I'm using ON whey right now. I paid 100 bucks for a 10 pound bag. So next time i go to get some i'm gonna ask if they have an "expired" bag and get it for 50 bucks
    "Don't count the days, make every day count"

duck_oil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by muirsy88
    I'm talking canadian $$$. I'm using ON whey right now. I paid 100 bucks for a 10 pound bag. So next time i go to get some i'm gonna ask if they have an "expired" bag and get it for 50 bucks
    Try S N D. They have it for $79 (non-expired of course).

s n d c a n a d a . c o m

http://www.*********.com/gc/gc_item....Nutrition&Z9=0

MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have some expired Muscle Milk and it works just fine... Got it on sale for $5 a tub.
    Matt Weik, BS, CSCS, CPT, CSN
    "The King of Content"
    www.MattWeik.com

slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slimshady0479 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Usually the protein just reached it's shelf life in stores and is still good for a few more months...I think.

Freelance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well I just bought an expired protein powder (2 months over) for 50% off. I asked the guys at the gym, they said no problem.

jlog96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Found the expiration date!

Under the plastic wrapping of my protein container, stamped in red ink was the expiration date of the container. I bought it in 08, and the experation date is '11. Since i bought 1, get 1/2 off at the time, this one has sat for a while and smells kind of funky, but i am going with the expiration date because i still notice a difference when i take it.

xdianax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Expired protein powder

If the protein powder doesn't smell bad or anything and is only about a month old you'll be fine. Otherwise if its older you might start to get an upset stomach and then lead to diarrhea.

methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10) methodice is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great first post.

The use by date is just a suggestion. Eat it and you will find out it is fine. No upset stomach or diarrhea.

ivansdukes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ivansdukes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ivansdukes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ivansdukes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Firstly, it's hard to maintain for extended periods. Let's say that you can lift 100 pounds for 5 repetitions. Adding just 1 extra repetition constitutes a 20% improvement in performance. Such a large rate of improvement isn't uncommon in the early stages of a training program, but you won't be able to keep it going forever.

tombuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It should be absolutely fine. Proteins can/do denature (change shape) over time, but the constituent parts will still be the same; so you'll still get all the benefits. Just make sure it doesn't smell bad, or have anything unpleasant growing in it! Enjoy the cut-price protein!
    Currently investigating the science behind supplements - http://supplements-that-work.blogspot.com/

Micktheripper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm doing work in a supplement store and i got free protein today that was out of date and half price intra workout which was also out of date they said that the actual company ON for example have to put an expiration date on all their products other wise they can not be sold this is with everything bread, sodas everything must have an expiration date otherwise there not aloud sell and with most supplements it doesnt matter if you drink out of date supplements provided its powder but bars and ready made shakes will have a negative.

jaykee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you are a border line god/protein machine
    Originally Posted by ColdIron View Post
    My 2 pound containers last me a WEEK at most! Are you guys seriously having trouble consuming your protein before it expires?

bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    General consensus says go ahead and use it - I also agree.

I have a friend who is actually a chemist, and he told me that at one point in time companies would open expired products, take a sample, test it, and then seal the container back up and slap a new expiration date on it.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but it also depends on how the product is stored I am sure. We used to go in to GNC (don't tell anybody) and buy up their expired products all the time. I once bought 6.6 lb tubs of NitroCore 24 protein for $6 a pop!
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle...." - Psalms 144:1

BenEFC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been using protein that expired a year ago and its been working fine for me and I've seen good gains

DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If the protein tub is brand new and still sealed, I don't think there's any problem. But if your tub is out of date and was open 3 years ago ... don't think I'll use it!
    I'm just trying to become a better and stronger version of myself

Beast Sports Nutrition Aminolytes Log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154810273

Inner Armour Muscle Rush review :
    http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/Inner_Armour/MUSCLE_RUSH_PEAK/DjOnEChuck/51cf1a820cf2abb66394923a/

Inner Armour Vanilla Casein review : http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/Inner_Armour/Casein_AAE/DjOnEChuck/361069

jliebes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was given a whole bottle of unopened ISOPURE and I was wondering the same thing. The reason being is the bottle expired 3 months ago and I still have about another 2 1/2 weeks of protein before I can open that one. But based on some of the replies, I'm gonna give it a shot. Worst that can happen is the ****s, right? Thanks everyone.

SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think the protein looses its efficacy after the time, not so much it becoming unsafe.

Molecular Nutrition Rep SwolenONE's Avatar
    SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwolenONE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In my experience, the flavoring can go bad shortly after the exp date.

DaddyDC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Iv'e use tru-mass after a year and it was ok. Chocolate not so much as it was not stored in a cool dark place. If it is sealed, I've heard a year after the MD ( Manufacturing Date) I finished it. Was good. I'd also like to know more as supplementsource.ca is pretty awesome!!

-DC

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DaddyDC View Post
    Iv'e use tru-mass after a year and it was ok. Chocolate not so much as it was not stored in a cool dark place. If it is sealed, I've heard a year after the MD ( Manufacturing Date) I finished it. Was good. I'd also like to know more as supplementsource.ca is pretty awesome!!

-DC
    never a good idea to take expired supps, especially protein powder which is nothing more then powdered food.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

DaddyDC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by emergency View Post
    never a good idea to take expired supps, especially protein powder which is nothing more then powdered food.
    Well it didn't kill me and now im stronger. :P Although this was the only time iv'e done it. I do agree though. I'm pretty particular on the subject of expired foods/supps and have yet to try it again, must be the older you get the less chances ya wanna take!