BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I torn between hitting each muscle once or twice a week

Hey all, Im totally lost on what to do. Should i lift each bodypart once or twice a week. If once wouldn't a schedule like this be the best?
    Monday-Chest
    Tuesday-Back
    Wednesday-Arms
    Thursday-Legs
    Friday-Shoulders
    This seems like you can hit each muscle hard as hell. Cause your only hitting that one muscle for the day

How would you hit each muscle twice a week. Ive read that only some muscle need to be hit more that others. Which ones and what is a good routine for this.
    Thanks
    Big

Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500) Man_of_Men is not very helpful. (-500)
    Listen, if you're able to work each part twice a week it means your intensity is lacking.

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Working Biceps after back is gonna lead to 0 results if you wana 5 day split try something like

legs
    chest
    back
    sholders traps
    arms

forarms where needed, Same with caves/abs

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BigD11
    This seems like you can hit each muscle hard as hell. Cause your only hitting that one muscle for the day

you only have one muscle in your legs?????

on chest day, you can bench without using your triceps?????

on back day, you can row without using your biceps?????

on shoulder day, you can military press without using your triceps?????

regardless of what you think, your NEVER isolating ONE muscle for an entire workout.....i dont even know why you want to do that......your body is not a collection of parts.....it is one solid unit.....train it that way

stop worrying so much about how many toe curls your going to do on your foot day

just pick 3-4 big compound exersises....go to the gym and do them.....dont worry about what individual muscles your using

- squats
    - incline bench
    - BB rows
    - tri iso

there.....that is a good quality workout.....take a day off, then do.....

- deadlifts
    - military press
    - pullups
    - bis iso

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey all, Im totally lost on what to do. Should i lift each bodypart once or twice a week. If once wouldn't a schedule like this be the best?
    Monday-Chest
    Tuesday-Back
    Wednesday-Arms
    Thursday-Legs
    Friday-Shoulders

How would you hit each muscle twice a week. Ive read that only some muscle need to be hit more that others. Which ones and what is a good routine for this.
    Thanks
    Big
    Maybe we can avoid a long and bloody discussion . How long have you been training?

the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Just go with the once a week routine for a while

Im sure you will see results if your diet is in check as well

After a while you can decide to do each muscle group twice a week if you want to

something like this

monday - upperbody
    tuesday - lower body
    wednesday - off
    thursday - upperbody
    Friday - lowerbody

seems simple enough, but just cause its upper/lower split does not always mean its for a beginner
    It's not enough. I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try both....or not. You could do one for 8 weeks then two for 8 weeks while keeping all supplements and meal consistancy the same.

I personally perfer one per week to maximize recovery.

Two times per week huh.
    Mon Legs and Abs
    Tues Chest shoulders triceps
    Wed Back Traps Biceps
    Repeat for 6 day per week

More efficent workout is
    Mon upper body
    tues Lower body
    thurs upper body
    fri lower body

I suggest if you are just starting out again start at working out 3 days a week for 12 weeks then progressing to 4 days per week. Finally after a year's experience and think about hitting the body twice a week. Expect to gain between 10 to 15lbs of lean mass forr the next few years unless you were really underweight if you do everything right. You can't rush it no matter how much you workout 'cept steroids.
    Cha Cha Cha

Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000)
    Explain how arms a day after shoulders is any better. I mean have you found a way to work shoulders without using your triceps?

BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive been lifting on and off four about 3yrs. The other day was the worst day of my lifting experience. I just felt totally lost. Like i was going no where. I didnt have a set workout program. Im always second guessing my program. Just feel totally confused, about what should i be doing. I felt that im just wasting my time on a crappy routine. Just want one that i know will work that people have used and it "works"
    Thanks

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Lightbulb

Ive been lifting on and off four about 3yrs. The other day was the worst day of my lifting experience. I just felt totally lost. Like i was going no where. I didnt have a set workout program. Im always second guessing my program. Just feel totally confused, about what should i be doing. I felt that im just wasting my time on a crappy routine. Just want one that i know will work that people have used and it "works"
    Thanks

Given your experience, try the one bodypart per day thing.

I would do: Chest, Back, Shoulders, Arms, Legs., or Chest/Back-hamstrings/Shoulders/Arms/Quads

Yes, some bodyparts can be trained more often than others and recover more quickly.

The smaller ones, like arms, shoulders, hamstrings. And the ST/low motor unit ones like abs/forearms/calves

The beauty of this split is, you DO train them more, indirectly. You work bi's with back, tri's with shoulders/chest, shoulders with back/chest. You could throw a hamstring session in and train quads by themselves. Deadlifters could train hammys with back and quads by themselves.

DO NOT train to failure. Go to about 1 or 2 reps short on your heavy sets. 5 days per week of "failure" training will crush you no matter how you split your body up. It is also frankly not necessary for gains AT ALL, and is counterproductive. Occasionally? maybe.

I will emphasize this, those that are reading this. Newbs or Intermediates SHOULD NOT train bps 1x per week. You will make better gains by not.

bcmurph07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bcmurph07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bcmurph07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bcmurph07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bcmurph07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bcmurph07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    do push/pull

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Man_of_Men
    Listen, if you're able to work each part twice a week it means your intensity is lacking.
    I squat 'till I drop (almost literaly) on tuesdays and still manage to pull a 95~100% deadlift on thursdays, so no

Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Intensity is key to success. More volume = less intensity.
    I eat to failure.

Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    I squat 'till I drop (almost literaly) on tuesdays and still manage to pull a 95~100% deadlift on thursdays, so no

Same here!

What time is it in Malta? Madcow2's Avatar
    Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    And how much do you want to bet the guy you were responding to has no idea that 95~100% is actually the of intensity.
    Training Theory, Info, and Starr/Pendlay 5x5 Info:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1

Direct Table of Contents:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Awnold79
    Intensity is key to success. More volume = less intensity.
    Working twice a week isn't more volume, it's more frequency. And I beg to differ with the intensity thing anyway.

stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just because you have more frequency in your routine doesn't mean you are lacking intensity or volume. You have to remember that not everyone is the same and that everyone has different goals and dreams. My workouts I feel are super intense and I workout each muscle 2x times a week. Yet I recover and gain strength the next time I workout that muscle group. You basically just have to do experimenting. This idea I feel has been beaten to death. Just my opinion though.

--Ben

Wink Must......resist.....urge....to.....post......

stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stonecoldgt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    heh defiant1. Go ahead in post, it is a good topic to talk about, I was just saying that we should like dedicate a thread to certain topics so that people don't ask the same questions over and over and over again. Kinda gets repetitive.

Asule1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Asule1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Asule1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Asule1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Asule1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Asule1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Asule1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could try this out. (Im gonna try this out starting today). You could train each group once per week with the exception of one group. So for example I would train each group once and
    Week 1: Chest/Tri on Mon and Fri
    Week 2: Shoulders/Legs on Mon and Fri
    Week 3: Back/Bi on Mon and Fri

So im basically hitting one group twice per week and the other groups once. Then it just rotates. So its mix or one and twice per week workout i guess. Im gonna try it and see how it works for me.

What time is it in Malta? Madcow2's Avatar
    Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by stonecoldgt
    heh defiant1. Go ahead in post, it is a good topic to talk about, I was just saying that we should like dedicate a thread to certain topics so that people don't ask the same questions over and over and over again. Kinda gets repetitive.
    This has already had a ton of discussion in the past 2 days. You can get Defiant1's thoughts in either of these threads as well as mine and others. Over the past few days a lot of good info on this topic has already been discussed by us so rehashing it all is not going to happen.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529995
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529000
    Training Theory, Info, and Starr/Pendlay 5x5 Info:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1

Direct Table of Contents:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

Talking

Originally Posted by Madcow2
    This has already had a ton of discussion in the past 2 days. You can get Defiant1's thoughts in either of these threads as well as mine and others. Over the past few days a lot of good info on this topic has already been discussed by us so rehashing it all is not going to happen.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529995
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529000
    Really. I can vouch for "non-failure high frequency training" by looking at my sinewy, steel cable forearms from typing so much.

Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Awnold79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    LMAO......I hear that.
    I eat to failure.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
    Really. I can vouch for "non-failure high frequency training" by looking at my sinewy, steel cable forearms from typing so much.
    Likewise........I can vouch for high intensity failure training by looking at my mangled keyboard. Only took 1 hit.
    I eat to failure.