Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Master.D. View Post
    I got a silly little trivial question for you brahs that I've been wondering:

Say you have two notes and you want to put a slur connecting them, if the first note is tied do you draw the slur from the tied note or the first note? =/
    From the first note brah, since a slur is an articulation marking and you articulate the first note (i could be wrong, never really come across it)

Whats your username on young composers btw?

Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kyokushin1 View Post
    From the first note brah, since a slur is an articulation marking and you articulate the first note (i could be wrong, never really come across it)

Whats your username on young composers btw?
    "Gav" lol . You?

I only have probably two posts on there.. I usually just read and listen.
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just to bump to the top...

Yeah, Kyo is right -- slur will come from the first of the tied notes. Happens all the time, especially in music with a lot of syncopated rhythms.

Question for musicians/composers present: Do you listen to music at the gym? I've tried a few times, but it seems like no matter what I listen to, I can't stop analyzing formal or harmonic structure. Or line construction in jazz. I think it actually detracts from my level of concentration.
    Whatever you choose to do, do it decisively and with conviction.
    -------------------
    Squat: 405x1
    DL: 515x1
    Bench: 355x1

BW: 220

Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Danthesaxman View Post

Yeah, Kyo is right -- slur will come from the first of the tied notes. Happens all the time, especially in music with a lot of syncopated rhythms.

Question for musicians/composers present: Do you listen to music at the gym? I've tried a few times, but it seems like no matter what I listen to, I can't stop analyzing formal or harmonic structure. Or line construction in jazz. I think it actually detracts from my level of concentration.
    Instead of listening to music for the analysis, look for some that makes you feel the kinds of emotion you want in the gym; anger, power, self-sufficiency. Methinks Jazz isn't the right fit

Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000) Bryce.MacLaren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hey guys sorry for the late reply

thanks for that

mind giving me some insight on how I can use intervals to add some color into a solo or an ending?

Take this tapping ending to a song called buttersnips by periphery.

Buttersnips solo

Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danthesaxman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mr Bounce View Post
    Instead of listening to music for the analysis, look for some that makes you feel the kinds of emotion you want in the gym; anger, power, self-sufficiency. Methinks Jazz isn't the right fit
    I hear you man. There are actually a good number of jazz albums that are great at getting my psyched for the gym...raw energy, aggressiveness, etc... but when I get there, I have to stop. I don't try to listen for analysis, it just happens. I thought maybe eliminating the harmonic part of it might help, so I tried listening to some rap.. couldn't really get into it.

Do you have any suggestions? I like lots of music, so don't feel like you have to limit it to the "art music" genres.
    Whatever you choose to do, do it decisively and with conviction.
    -------------------
    Squat: 405x1
    DL: 515x1
    Bench: 355x1

BW: 220

Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000)

I listen to metal when I'm at the gym. I generally find it has less to analyse than most other music hah. Whilst I'll admit I am generally analysing things that I hear 24/7, it doesn't seem to overtake my focus in the gym. Usually it'll go something like this:

-Rest: [analysing music]
    -Set: [working too hard to pay attention]
    -Hard sets: [lettin the loudness/intensity overtake me]
    -Rest: [analysing music]

Hahah.
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000) Mr Bounce is just really nice. (+1000)
    I hear you man. There are actually a good number of jazz albums that are great at getting my psyched for the gym...raw energy, aggressiveness, etc... but when I get there, I have to stop. I don't try to listen for analysis, it just happens. I thought maybe eliminating the harmonic part of it might help, so I tried listening to some rap.. couldn't really get into it.

Do you have any suggestions? I like lots of music, so don't feel like you have to limit it to the "art music" genres.
    I listen to rock/metal because it's good for lifting, but maybe my ear isn't so good, since I can tune the music out

There are a million and one threads posted about 'lifting music', and a lot is metal so maybe give that a shot

kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyokushin1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

i listen to cheesy pop or trance when im at the gym for this very reason, the the progressions are so cliche and repetitive that there isnt anything to analyze or try and figure out

i used to listen to chopin when i first started lifting buti found myself taking 15minute breaks in between each set lol

...on a mission... AlphaBrass01's Avatar
    AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i listen to cheesy pop or trance when im at the gym for this very reason, the the progressions are so cliche and repetitive that there isnt anything to analyze or try and figure out

i used to listen to chopin when i first started lifting buti found myself taking 15minute breaks in between each set lol
    For me, I just make sure I listen to things that aren't new to me. If it is a piece (of any sort) that I've heard a number of times, I won't be as tempted to stop and analyze/contemplate.

Here you go:

-->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So I was watching a youtube video and it had a very nice chord progression. I dont think it was just one key so I'll just name the chords.

Am__Dm__Gmaj__Cmaj__Fmaj__Bbmaj__Emaj__Am

pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000)

When I do listen to music, it's Mars from The Planets, O Fortuna from Carmina Burana, Mozart Requiem, stuff like that. I find Hoedown always gets me psyched for cardio.

In general, though, I'm kind of in the same boat. Lifting is a sort of Zen thing for me and music is a distraction.
    "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ...will probably be my last words

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136720821
    more misadventures in physical culture

Originally Posted by first_second View Post
    So I was watching a youtube video and it had a very nice chord progression. I dont think it was just one key so I'll just name the chords.

Yea that's A minor for you brah.. typical circle of fifths progression, probably with a sequencing melodic line. The Bbmaj acts as a neapolitan sixth chord and is probably voiced in first inversion. The Emajor provides the simple V-i in the key of A minor.

What song was it?
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500) first_second is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yea that's A minor for you brah.. typical circle of fifths progression, probably with a sequencing melodic line. The Bbmaj acts as a neapolitan sixth chord and is probably voiced in first inversion. The Emajor provides the simple V-i in the key of A minor.

What song was it?
    Oh I didn't know that, cheers. Oh it wasn't a song, just some guy improvising. Are there any more interested progressions like this one?

I was just playing around with this progression and came up with an awesome melody and groove. Then I realised I was just playing Cat Stevens' Wild World

FUUUUuu-

pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    have you listened to his new one?

I love Cat Stevens, but I'm not gonna go out and get the cd if it's rehashed cliched crap.
    "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ...will probably be my last words

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136720821
    more misadventures in physical culture

Originally Posted by Mr Bounce View Post
    I was just playing around with this progression and came up with an awesome melody and groove. Then I realised I was just playing Cat Stevens' Wild World

FUUUUuu-
    Hahahah, don't you hate when that happens!
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50) spherenine will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I listen to metal when I'm at the gym. I generally find it has less to analyse than most other music hah.
    What? I can't think of any metal that's worth listening to that also has little to analyze. Actually, I can't think of anything that's worth listening to that has little to analyze, and I listen to Green Day.
    eStats:

Bench: 764 lbs
    Squat: 956 lbs
    Deadlift: 1023 lbs

Haha, nah just less aye - or less that I am consciously aware of myself analysing?
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

Originally Posted by pFuzzz View Post
    have you listened to his new one?

I love Cat Stevens, but I'm not gonna go out and get the cd if it's rehashed cliched crap.
    It's got that old-school flavour to it, but there are no hits IMO. I like it but I didn't buy it.

Originally Posted by Master.D.
    Hahahah, don't you hate when that happens!
    Lol yeah, unintentional plagiarism sucks balls.

going through a dvorak phase atm, here's a classic performed by two legends for you brahs to listen to:

...on a mission... AlphaBrass01's Avatar
    AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlphaBrass01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    going through a dvorak phase atm, here's a classic performed by two legends for you brahs to listen to:

For me, Dvorak isn't a phase, it's just awesome all the time. I love the eighth symphony, ninth symphony, and the Serenade, all of which I've played - great to perform and listen to.

I'm bored. What do you guys wanna talk about?
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

I'm bored. What do you guys wanna talk about?
    Can everyone make a 4 bar tune on the piano/keyboard and post it on youtube, people vote for their favorite and the winner gets raped.

With reps

You first brah
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

You first brah
    Ok bruv. Let's make it 8 bars, but you cant make it 16 bars and say it's 8 because it's at 50bpm.
    Make it around 100bpm if you can.
    I'm nothing special but hopefully I'll be taking lessons when I get a job.

Ok bruv. Let's make it 8 bars, but you cant make it 16 bars and say it's 8 because it's at 50bpm.
    Make it around 100bpm if you can.
    I'm nothing special but hopefully I'll be taking lessons when I get a job.

lol strong khaki :P nice tune though

here's my submission, whipped it up this afternoon. (my webcam was being gay so its just audio + a cool animated piano so you can see the notes.)

Last edited by kyokushin1; 07-09-2009 at 10:47 AM.

lol strong khaki :P nice tune though

here's my submission, whipped it up this afternoon. (my webcam was being gay so its just audio + a cool animated piano so you can see the notes.)

Lol true, I need some new clothes.

Wow bro that was sweet, totally styling on my tune. I thought you only played trumpet?

Lol true, I need some new clothes.

Wow bro that was sweet, totally styling on my tune. I thought you only played trumpet?
    thanks. ive been teaching myself piano on and off again for like 2 years now so i can play a little, but this recording was done through a midi keyboard into FL studio, where i fixed up all the errors the original performance was woeful.