Just Did It has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can you cut up your abs while building muscle? Or is it pointless...

I'm not on a "bulk"...and i'm not really "cutting" either...I'm strong, and everything except my abs is defined...my abs aren't fat, they are just "there"...flat, but not cut up.....if I start to run, will I lose strength gains?

Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10) Powers|ave is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Just Did It
    I'm not on a "bulk"...and i'm not really "cutting" either...I'm strong, and everything except my abs is defined...my abs aren't fat, they are just "there"...flat, but not cut up.....if I start to run, will I lose strength gains?
    exactly my situation. im afraid if i start doing cardio i will lose some of my mass, which took forever to gain and any loss would really hurt. im fine with a flat no-abs stomach as long as i can do a good vaccum. god help me if my stomach ever passes my chest
    its all genes

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think the whole cardio lose mass thing is blown out of proportion.

Sure, if you run hours and hours a week, you'll lose muscle (I mean, who's ever seen a jacked marathoner-duh) but if you stick to 1-2 hours of cardio a week you should be fine. I do cardio 3x a week for 20-30 minutes and haven't noticed any decrease in muscle mass. It only becomes a problem if you do LOTS of cardio
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with Bernie, doing cardio a few days a week in the form of HIIT is the best cardio while bulking/gaining mass. It will basically burn up the excess calories that will lead to fat gain. However, do be careful not to overdo or it could affect the calories your body needs to rebuild and gain mass.
    Sometimes you have to see the bottom before you reach the top

R.I.P.
    Josh aka Fingers
    Steve P.
    Joe G.
    Tiffany G.
    Josh B.
    Steve Irwin (ultimate alpha)

Glockmeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah that fear of cardio due to losing muscle is way out there. Even the mighty Arnald preeched doing cardio to keep bodyfat down. I think that fear is more what you hear from proffesional BB's but the average guy really shouldn't worry about it.
    " better to sweat in the gym, than bleed in the streets"

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^exactly...

I was reading some article by some pro BB'er awhile back and was talking about his cardio being walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes 2x a week. I guess if you're competing, since there are questions about cardio and muscle loss, that cardio should be little, since you want to keep every ounce you can. But to be honest, if you do only a moderate amount of cardio, you won't notice much of a difference. And there are studies that have shown this too
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Glockmeister
    Yeah that fear of cardio due to losing muscle is way out there. Even the mighty Arnald preeched doing cardio to keep bodyfat down. I think that fear is more what you hear from proffesional BB's but the average guy really shouldn't worry about it.
    arnie was extremely unnatural, what worked for him wont work for the common natural lifter... why do so many ppl idolise his techniques????
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if yo'ure a newbie, u can bulk and cut at the same time; but after a while, it becomes poinltess because the body isn't designed to do both at the same time - i mean, u can, but progress will be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow.

it's best to pick 1 goal, do it, then do the other (or maintain at this point)
    <->

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I normally do 6 mins of moderate cardio before I lift. I figure that's the best way to warm up my core temperature. Is this not a good idea?

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Just Did It
    Can you build muscle and burn fat at the same time? Yes you can. It is not easy though. You have to eat like you are trying to gain mass. But keep the diet "clean". And do heaps of cardio (long duration, low intensity).
    neg reds on sight crew