malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

why not look at the ceiling when squatting and deadlifting?

you see this all the time

"when doing squats/deadlifts, look straight ahead. Don't look at the floor, and don't look at the ceiling despite what your high school football coach said."

Now, i do look straight ahead. My form is close to perfect on squats after many tumultuous years when it was shaky at best. I am comfortable with looking straight ahead.

Deadlifts are a different story. I always thought deadlifts were MY lift, something i excelled at and had perfect form on. But then recently i started running into problems. My ass coming up too soon, my negative being kinda jerky. But worst of all, my back rounding after the first couple reps. I find that looking at the ceiling helps remedy this to some degree. But people say don't look up, and I'm not saying thats wrong, but i want to know why.

Please don't reply with "It's not wrong, go ahead and do it." If you feel that way fine, but what I'm really looking for is the reasoning as to why people say looking at the ceiling is an incorrect technique when it seems to do nothing but help keep your back in the proper alignment.

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i like to watch my form

Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironager will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can easily keep your back straight without looking at the ceiling imo. If there's a mirror in fornt of you I like to look in front of me so I can watch my form (and watch me grunt ).
    --- Ron Paul 2008!!! ---

Go 'BOOM', like you're saying, "Take a look at this hunk a man."

"That's the ultimate power -- your vocabulary. How you communicate. Study vocabulary. The more words you have, the better you can communicate, and the quicker you can put someone away."

Real men are not available. They are climbing mountains. They are swimming across rivers. What are YOU doing? Browsing a goddamn forum?!?!?!?!!

eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i find looking at the ceiling isnt too good for my neck, when squatting and deadlifting, i just look straight ahead

HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I look up when I'm pulling the weight up on deadlifts, it's just a natural reflex I guess. I didn't do it until I started getting stronger and going heavier, but I haven't sacrificed any of my form to go heavier, it just feels more natural to look up when I'm really pulling hard.

I don't look up when I do squats though, I think that'd be kinda weird with the bar across your back and all.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by malty
    you see this all the time

"when doing squats/deadlifts, look straight ahead. Don't look at the floor, and don't look at the ceiling despite what your high school football coach said."

Now, i do look straight ahead. My form is close to perfect on squats after many tumultuous years when it was shaky at best. I am comfortable with looking straight ahead.

Deadlifts are a different story. I always thought deadlifts were MY lift, something i excelled at and had perfect form on. But then recently i started running into problems. My ass coming up too soon, my negative being kinda jerky. But worst of all, my back rounding after the first couple reps. I find that looking at the ceiling helps remedy this to some degree. But people say don't look up, and I'm not saying thats wrong, but i want to know why.

Please don't reply with "It's not wrong, go ahead and do it." If you feel that way fine, but what I'm really looking for is the reasoning as to why people say looking at the ceiling is an incorrect technique when it seems to do nothing but help keep your back in the proper alignment.
    actually i was always taught to look up, not clear up at the cealing but a high point on the wall.

MrPerth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrPerth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    looking up puts more of a strain on your lower back muscles which can lead to injury. If you have ever had an injured lower back(as I have) you will have noticed that even trying to look down a little when you piss hurts your lower back like hell so the neck/lower back muscle connection is very strong. Keeping your neck in a fairly neutral position minimises the stress and allows muscles to work as naturally as possible with 500lbs on your shoulders lol

4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    With squats, looking up can cause a balance issue, as well as possible neck strain on both exercises. Looking straight ahead puts the neck in a more natural position.
    The internet is equalled only by public education and network news in its ability to spread disinformation at an alarming rate...

malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) malty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ok thanks

but im more concerned with deadlifts right now. squats i look straight ahead im really not worried there. but why is it wrong to look up on deads?

and my question has been answered as far as squats are concerned i guess, too much stress on the lower back, got it.

bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by malty
    ok thanks

but im more concerned with deadlifts right now. squats i look straight ahead im really not worried there. but why is it wrong to look up on deads?

and my question has been answered as far as squats are concerned i guess, too much stress on the lower back, got it.
    i would think that it would be the exact same reason for deads as it is for squats.
    i also think that it would be perfectly fine if youre looking slightly up, but not if youre basically looking straight up. however i may be wrong.
    Stats
    Bench: 225
    Safety Squat: 430*10 ~ 550
    Power Clean:225
    Push Press: 205
    Body Weight: ~220
    Height: 6' 2"

bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000)
    dont look up as stated above that can lead to injury I injured my back doing squats one day because I was looking up. I had the worst pain in my lower back for over a month I couldnt look straight down without it feeling like my spine was being pulled apart
    Just live your life with God inside. You wont regret one moment of it. Give all that you have for God.

well, i would think it might be a little different with deadlifts, because deadlifts you dont have a heavy barbell on your back.

ill probably end up settling on a happy medium. obviously not looking straight up, but not looking completely straight ahead either. i feel that looking up a little helps keep my form better, and i just do the entire lift better, keeping my legs in it longer and such.

Registered User drunkenmaster44's Avatar
    drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100) drunkenmaster44 is not very well liked. (-100)
    It does not really matter regarding squats. It is mainly to keep balance and proper form to focus on 1 spot. If you lean forward you puts uneccessary strain on your lower back that can lead to back problems down the line. It can also make the weight more likely to shift on you. A coach of mine was goin to play AAA ball after college at carolina but when he was squatting the weight shifted and messed up some vertebrae in his lower back and he could not play again. It sucks b/c he held the career HR record at Carolina. Needless to say he stressed proper form on all exercises to us.

Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good advice from everyone. You shouldn't look straight up because it misaligns your body.

I find it best to face the mirror (lucky our squat rack has one) and look at my forehead. I find when I look straight ahead (i.e. at my eyes) my alignment isn't the best and I sometimes tend to dip forward. But by looking at my forehead it changes completely and my body alignement is excellent and I can lift more. Plus it's better than looking at a fixed target because the reflection of your forehead is moving up as you do allowing you keep your head in the same position throughout the lift.

Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gajanga will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it possible to have bad form on a deadlift as long as you look ahead (or up, lol, just NOT down) and keep the bar close to your legs as you raise it up and down?

yeah its possible. if the first thing you do is stick your ass in the air then do the lift with your lower back primarily, its bad form. its harder than one would think to do a perfect deadlift, but making sure your form is perfect as you progress is a great way to make sure your hamstrings and back have the right proportional strength.

Willing2Learn2Succeed Barbender87's Avatar
    Location: Indialantic, Florida....its about 10 minutes away from Melbourne and an hour east from Orlando
    Barbender87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hmmmm

The reason why looking up straightens your form so much is because, when u look up, your neck must also straighten and angle up, your back is connected to your neck (duh) and must also straighten or else ur head would just break off, ur legs straightne because of your back and so on. I always look up during deadlifts but not during squats....why???because i've looked straight ahead ever since i started and find nothing wrong with it.