Uniayedee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Tips for bringing up bench

Started lifting 3 months ago. Bench and upper body is ridiculously weak and making snail's pace (currently can do 115lbs for 3x5). However squat and deadlift is both 215 and is increasing 5lbs each session. Any tips? Pretty sure my form is okay with shoulder blades back and back slightly curved. Should I cut out legs from routine until upper body is up to par?
    Thanks

3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it improving at the moment? If not then:
    what is your programming?
    how is your recovery(sleep, food intake, what else you do outside the gym,...)?

sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sk2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have the same problem. Are you gaining weight (1lb per week)?
    If you are then you can try these things:
    Try adding more volume (5x5 instead of 3x5)
    Take a deload week
    Change your routine

Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyder00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stop training legs is the worst idea. I'm pretty sure i know what your misstake is and i've done the same thing. You want to increase your bench so bad you go to failure on every set. I stopped doing that and it helped me ALOT. I dont bench anymore,but i do CG bench and i've added about 40 pounds to my CG bench 6rm during the last 6 weeks.

1. Increase the frequency of the lift. You want to hit it atleast 2 times a week with various intensities

2. Don't go to failure on every set.only do this on one set a week,where the goal is to hit a PR.

So i would do something like

Day 1: 3x3 (first set 3rm,second and third sets 90% of 3rm)

Day 3: 3x8-12 (do not take this to failure,leave 2-3 reps in the tank)

Day 5: 2x5 (70-80% of 3rm,technique work)

Uniayedee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Oh **** sorry for late response for some reason posts didn't come up when I checked.
    As for routine I'm doing 3x5 bench with light warm-ups before (mostly the bar)
    So basically what I want to do is not hit max every workout? I've also heard of reverse pyramids with the first set being 2-3 reps with max weight and decrease weight / increase reps on each set. Maybe I'll try that if volume doesn't work.
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by Uniayedee; 10-18-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some dude said i should add baking soda to my preworkout shake..... idk bout that cuz i didnt do it. Other than that, get a spotter and keep adding weight till you think you dont need a spotter. Or as leroy colbert once said. Before your set. Put some extra weight on the bar. Then unrack it, hold it for a period, rerack it. For you to feel the heavier load. Then proceed with your working load... it should feel lighter and more doable.

Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ashking01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The simplest way to increase your Bench Press is to Bench Press more. The more you Bench Press, the more Bench Press practice you get and the better your Bench Press form becomes. Proper form improves the effectiveness of the movement. It increases how much you Bench Press. Assistance exercises and variations of the Bench Press may help you increase your Bench Press. But they’re never a replacement to Bench Press. You can’t become better at an exercise you don’t do. To increase your Bench Press, you must Bench Press. Heavy and often. Bench Press More Often Switch from Bench Pressing once a week to twice a week. Bench Press Monday, rest, then do it again on Friday. Use the same Bench Press style on both days, the one you want to improve. For most people that means flat Bench Pressing on both days. By increasing your Bench Press frequency you practice the movement more. Your form improves and becomes more effective. This increases your Bench Press strength. Most people will tell you to switch exercise to increase your Bench Press. To do Pushups, Dumbbell Bench, Close Grip Bench Press, Dips and so on. But this rarely works. While those exercises will strengthen the muscles you use on the Bench Press, they don’t train the movement. It’s like trying to become better at violin by playing guitar. It doesn’t matter if they’re both string instruments. It’s not the same. You need specificity. Stop thinking like a bodybuilder and start thinking like an athlete. Yes, you need to strengthen your muscles. But you also need to practice the skill of Bench Pressing. And you get more practice by Bench Pressing more often. More practice is better form and a bigger bench. Switch from once a week Bench Pressing to twice a week. Check the StrongLifts 5×5 program: it has you Bench Press every other workout Improve Your Bench Press Form The proper bottom position on the Bench Press: vertical forearms from every angle, straight wrists, bar touches mid-chest. Proper Bench Press form increases effectiveness. It moves the bar over the shortest distance from your mid-chest to your shoulders. The shorter the distance the bar has to move, the easier to lift the weight. Proper Bench Press form also improves the transfer of force from your chest and shoulder muscles into your forearms to the bar. And it improves stability while avoiding bad leverage. All of this increases your Bench Press. Proper Bench Press form also prevents injuries. Bench Pressing with the wrong grip is ineffective and will cause elbow or wrist pain. Bench Pressing with your elbows out 90° will impinge your shoulders. Raising your butt off the bench is cheating and can hurt your lower back. Any injury can force you to take time off Bench Pressing. This slows your progress instead of accelerating it. Proper form is key to Bench Press injury-free. No matter what level you’re at, there’s always room to improve your Bench Press form. Make sure you read my definitive guide on how to Bench Press with proper form. Here’s the short version with the most important technique points to increase your Bench Press. Grip. Hold the bar low in your hands, close to you wrists. Squeeze using the full grip Wrists. Bench with straight wrists. Grip the bar low so your wrists can’t bend and hurt Elbows. Tuck them 75° at the bottom, keep them directly under the bar from all angles Forearms. Vertical to the floor, straight line from bar to wrist to elbow from all angles Chest. Raise it to the ceiling, squeeze your shoulder-blades, arch your back to stay tight Shoulders. Keep them back on the bench, drive yourself into the bench when you press Feet. Flat on the floor, feet under knees, shoulder-width stance like when you Squat Bar path. Diagonal line from mid-chest to shoulders, not vertical over chest or shoulders Racking. Lock your elbows, move the bar over your shoulders first, get a lift off if you c

Treckie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just eat, rest and bench more and it will gradually go up

Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jason5267 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ashking01 View Post
    The simplest way to increase your Bench Press is to Bench Press more. The more you Bench Press, the more Bench Press practice you get and the better your Bench Press form becomes. Proper form improves the effectiveness of the movement. It increases how much you Bench Press. Assistance exercises and variations of the Bench Press may help you increase your Bench Press. But they’re never a replacement to Bench Press. You can’t become better at an exercise you don’t do. To increase your Bench Press, you must Bench Press. Heavy and often. Bench Press More Often Switch from Bench Pressing once a week to twice a week. Bench Press Monday, rest, then do it again on Friday. Use the same Bench Press style on both days, the one you want to improve. For most people that means flat Bench Pressing on both days. By increasing your Bench Press frequency you practice the movement more. Your form improves and becomes more effective. This increases your Bench Press strength. Most people will tell you to switch exercise to increase your Bench Press. To do Pushups, Dumbbell Bench, Close Grip Bench Press, Dips and so on. But this rarely works. While those exercises will strengthen the muscles you use on the Bench Press, they don’t train the movement. It’s like trying to become better at violin by playing guitar. It doesn’t matter if they’re both string instruments. It’s not the same. You need specificity. Stop thinking like a bodybuilder and start thinking like an athlete. Yes, you need to strengthen your muscles. But you also need to practice the skill of Bench Pressing. And you get more practice by Bench Pressing more often. More practice is better form and a bigger bench. Switch from once a week Bench Pressing to twice a week. Check the StrongLifts 5×5 program: it has you Bench Press every other workout Improve Your Bench Press Form The proper bottom position on the Bench Press: vertical forearms from every angle, straight wrists, bar touches mid-chest. Proper Bench Press form increases effectiveness. It moves the bar over the shortest distance from your mid-chest to your shoulders. The shorter the distance the bar has to move, the easier to lift the weight. Proper Bench Press form also improves the transfer of force from your chest and shoulder muscles into your forearms to the bar. And it improves stability while avoiding bad leverage. All of this increases your Bench Press. Proper Bench Press form also prevents injuries. Bench Pressing with the wrong grip is ineffective and will cause elbow or wrist pain. Bench Pressing with your elbows out 90° will impinge your shoulders. Raising your butt off the bench is cheating and can hurt your lower back. Any injury can force you to take time off Bench Pressing. This slows your progress instead of accelerating it. Proper form is key to Bench Press injury-free. No matter what level you’re at, there’s always room to improve your Bench Press form. Make sure you read my definitive guide on how to Bench Press with proper form. Here’s the short version with the most important technique points to increase your Bench Press. Grip. Hold the bar low in your hands, close to you wrists. Squeeze using the full grip Wrists. Bench with straight wrists. Grip the bar low so your wrists can’t bend and hurt Elbows. Tuck them 75° at the bottom, keep them directly under the bar from all angles Forearms. Vertical to the floor, straight line from bar to wrist to elbow from all angles Chest. Raise it to the ceiling, squeeze your shoulder-blades, arch your back to stay tight Shoulders. Keep them back on the bench, drive yourself into the bench when you press Feet. Flat on the floor, feet under knees, shoulder-width stance like when you Squat Bar path. Diagonal line from mid-chest to shoulders, not vertical over chest or shoulders Racking. Lock your elbows, move the bar over your shoulders first, get a lift off if you c
    Best post I've seen on this site
    Strive for progress not perfection
    Start lifts: Bench - 45lbs/Squat - 65lbs/Deadlift - 90lbs/Overhead press - 20lbs
    Current lifts: Bench - 185lbs/Squat - 265lbs/Deadlift - 330lbs/ Overhead press - 120lbs
    Not everyone wants to get as big as Ronnie Coleman, stop making people insecure by calling them anorexic.