Closed Thread
Page 208 of 308 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 218 258 ... LastLast
Results 6,211 to 6,240 of 9236
    jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jsewell0203 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Good to see you guys in here!!!

Hey all - great to have you in the thread!!

Great to see some scriptures being shared. I love 1Peter. It is an absolutely awesome book and its author was an amazing man of God.

He wrote the book (IMHO) in response to the martyrdom of Paul to give the Church some encouragement during a very dificult time. The entire book speaks of suffering. Which is something we all need to understand, why god allows us to suffer (so we can learn perseverance - which leads to character, etc).

Awesome stuff.

Let's hear some more scriptures. Let's focus on God's Word in this thread.

Less talk and more Scriptures!!!!

Less Us and more God!
    The healthy body is the guest chamber of the soul.

The sick, its prison.

"When I get a little money I buy books, and if any is left I buy food and clothes."

Erasmus

tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000) tatdawg is just really nice. (+1000)
    good mornin brothers, have a blessed day.
    Loved by some
    Hated by others
    Forgiven by the grace of God.

FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FITNESS4CHRIST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Hey Brothers

Whats Up Guys,

I've Only Read A Few Posts On This Thread And They Were Very Deep And Legit. I'm Glad I Found This Thread, Been Posting Here And There In The "new Member Christian Bodybuilder" Thread In The Personals Section.

I Have No Doubt That I Will Be Welcomed By The Love You All Display Witnessing To Those With Deep Questions Of Christ.

Be Blessed, Highly Favored, And Lets Keep Witnessing To The Fitness World (bb.com) With Our Lifestyles Of Diligence And Excellence!

Praisin Him,

Fit4c

big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

2 Peter 1:3-10 (HCSB) Have you spent time with God today?

For His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. By these He has given us very great and precious promises, so that through them you may share in the divine nature, escaping the corruption that is in the world because of evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with goodness, goodness with knowledge, knowledge with self-control, self-control with endurance, endurance with godliness, godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they will keep you from being useless or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. The person who lacks these things is blind and shortsighted, and has forgotten the cleansing from his past sins. Therefore, brothers, make every effort to confirm your calling and election, because if you do these things you will never stumble."

As Christians, God has given us power and promises to serve Him. The power is the Holy Spirit that lives within us, and the promises are His Perfect Holy Word (2 Timothy 3:10-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21). This scripture has reminded me to spend as much time in His Word as I can. This should be a daily occurrence, and should receive the most importance in our lives. Our relationship with God should come before others, before family, before our physical bodies. I'm not saying ignore the other things, just don't forget to put Christ first in your lives. The person that neglects his/her DAILY time with Christ in Bible study and prayer has become "blind and shortsighted, and has forgotten the cleansing from his past sins (2 Peter 1:9).

Again, I'm grateful for a place on this forum where we as Christians can encourage each other to Godliness. Have a Christ filled day.
    "Do you not know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body." (1 Cor 6:19-20)

Of The Clan Of Christ. Uber-neggR's Avatar
    Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's been a long time.

Unfortunately I can't visit this place as much as I used to, in fact I'm trying to reduce my time of internet use and dedicate more time to God (I use the net too much, IMO).

I've decided to start a blog (I'm not used to journalling).
    Rather than aimlessly browsing the web, I want to spend more time in dedication and actively logging my past.
    The blog was made for my sake, not just to for others to read. But I want to share a lot of things heavy on my heart, and share in the fact that others struggle with the same burdens too.

It's here:
    http://theroadofsalvation.blogspot.com/

And feel free to leave comments of encouragment, not just for me, but for anyone else reading.

Stay blessed my brother in Christ, for one they we shall all meet. Maybe not in this world, but we will.
    Isaiah 43:2: When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.

fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys I am new to BB.com and its great to see so many Christians on here. Anyways this is a really cool story/poem that I found and I wanted to share it. It's called "Footsteps":

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonging to him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of his life.

This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.

The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Take care, your brother in Christ
    "In the wild there is no health care. In the wild, health care is ouch I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead...well I'm not dead...I'm the Lion. YOU'RE DEAD!" - Dwight Schrute

IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IntensityX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fender23 View Post
    Hey guys I am new to BB.com and its great to see so many Christians on here. Anyways this is a really cool story/poem that I found and I wanted to share it. It's called "Footsteps":

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonging to him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of his life.

This really bothered Him and He questioned the LORD about it. LORD you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.

The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

Take care, your brother in Christ
    That's a good poem I like it thanks for posting it and welcome to bb.com
    "The road to salvation is through Christ"

Luke 1:74
    to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear

^Love is the power of the righteousness life that overcomes the fear that leads to sin, and the life in which God is pleased.

big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_m has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Awesome passages from my quiet time today

As some have noticed, I have been posting passages for a couple of days now. My challenge to others would be that more would do the same. In doing so, we can help keep each other accountable in spending time with our Great Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

All you need to do is pick a book, and read through it slowly, a few verses at a time. If God leads you to do more, great. Look at the passage, ask the Lord to speak to you, and He will, for He wants nothing more than for His Children to get to know Him. Then, if you feel led, share a brief portion of what God has shown you. Who knows what will come of this. God promises that His word will not return void.

Enough chatter. 2 Peter 1:20-21 (HCSB) "First of all, you should know this: no prophecy of Scripture comes from one's own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by the will of man; instead, moved by the Holy Spirit, men spoke from God."

As I read this, I am reminded again of the truth of the Scriptures. God moved men through His Holy Spirit to write His words for us. Several men wrote in 66 books over around 1000 years God's Holy Word. This word has been preserved for us without error! This is a miracle of God. There are hundreds of manuscripts that we have today that date back many years. No other ancient book has this many sources and this many ancient manuscripts. Yes there are several translations, yes there have been minor revisions, but the message has not changed. The Bible is either 100% truth or it is fake. An All Powerful, Perfect, Holy God is fully capable of preserving His word, and honoring His promise in verses like 2 Peter 1:20-21, and 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (read all of chapter 3 for context) "All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."

Take time to read this direct revelation from God, miraculously preserved so that we can better know and serve our Creator. Thank Him for His goodness. Just as we use weights to build our physical body, use the Word of God, and prayer to build your Spiritual "body." Your physical body will last a lifetime, but your spiritual "body" will last forever!
    "Do you not know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body." (1 Cor 6:19-20)

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    G'day brothers in Christ! Hope all are doing well.

Matthew 5:16
    Make your light shine, so that others will see the good that you do and will praise your Father in heaven.

Just a little scripture that has really inspired me lately .
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

2 Peter 3

Brothers in Christ,

I always am encouraged when I read of the promised 2nd Coming of our Messiah, Jesus Christ. The church in the 1st century really believed that Christ could return any time. They seemed to live their lives around that. This brings conviction to me. I tend to go about my life as if nothing were different. Rarely does the thought go through my head "what if Christ returned today?" We should be yearning for this. As a bride to be eagerly awaits her wedding day, so should we yearn to see our Bridegroom Jesus Christ. If we had this type of focus to our lives, we would really evaluate what we did with our limited time on this earth. We would spend more of it fulfilling Christ's commands to go and make disciples of all the earth. As you go about your day today, stop and think "What if it were today?"

2 Peter 3:10-11, 14-15 (HCSB) "But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief; on that day the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, the elements will burn and be dissolved, and the earth and the works on it will be disclosed. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, it is clear what sort of people you should be in holy conduct and godliness --"

(vv 14-15) "Therefore, dear friends, while you wait for these things, make every effort to be found in peace without spot or blemish before Him. Also, regard the patience of our Lord as an opportunity for salvation, just as our dear brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you."

Come quickly Lord Jesus.

How did church go this weekend for everyone?

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by big_m View Post
    It was great.

Millions of Adventists worldwide have been gathering in their churches every night to fast and pray for the outpouring of God's Spirit (leading up to July 7). It's been very spiritual.
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

Originally Posted by ElderJefferson View Post
    It was great.

Millions of Adventists worldwide have been gathering in their churches every night to fast and pray for the outpouring of God's Spirit (leading up to July 7). It's been very spiritual.
    Very cool. Is there something special planned for July 7, or is it the focus of a prayer for something to take place on July 7?

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very cool. Is there something special planned for July 7, or is it the focus of a prayer for something to take place on July 7?
    July 7 is just the culmination of ten days of fasting and praying (since the date is 7/7/07, and it falls on the Sabbath). There is nothing magical or biblical about the date. Apparently someone came up with the idea to plead for the outpouring of God's Spirit (the Latter Rain), and just as the disciples prayed for ten days in the upper room prior to their Pentecost experience, we are just following in suit.

I get goosebumps thinking about all the prayers being ascended from across the globe - all praying for the same thing.
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I received a tremendous word from the Lord through a prophet. It was very encouraging, very challenging, and it was like seeing living proof of God right before my eyes. I got a recording of it and I'm still trying to absorb it all, but I believe I saw some of it beginning to be fulfilled today at work.
    Push, Pull, Eat, Drink, Boink, Sleep.

Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blau is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Happy 4th everyone.

P.S.: In 4 more days, it's the thread's 2nd B-Day.

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    we missed the birthday

Scripture for the week Isah 55:10-12 (i think...)

Remember any time you spread the Word of God, it makes a difference, even if you don't see it. Have faith that when you share God's love with others, you are having a positive effect on the world that will be paid forward in time.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ButteryPancakes has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Amen!

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    typo, Isaiah, but you got it.

Isaiah 55
    10 As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
    and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
    and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
    but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Turning the other cheek.

Just responded to the old notion that turning the other cheek means thast Christians are to be totally passive in relation to violence abuse. I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Been a long time since I posted in this thread.

Turning the other cheek in every situation causes opportunities for teaching to pass. I work with homeless men and have abusive comments aimed at me on a fairly regular basis. However, rather than just say nothing I challenge the maladaptive behaviour rather than reward and reinforce it by letting the other have his way. That same behaviour has caused many of the men to lose jobs, spend time in prison and have failed relationships.

In my opinion turning the other cheek does not mean to ignore how the person is behaving or being. It means not slapping his cheek in turn which is from the Lex Talion or the law of "An eye for an eye". That mentality characterized ancient Israel, Jerusalem etc and still exists today. The sang, "An eye for an eye and the whole world is blind" rings true. Jesus didn't want us to live in the darkness of fear, hate, greed so I think the in order to discredit something one needs to undertand it's roots, historical meaning and the paradigm that challenged it.
    If you are suffering from serious medical concerns please be sure to check with your doctor.

My name is Mark.

deep

The instinct is to fight back, whether the attack is verbal of physical. I think allowing negative behavior is almost as bad as rewarding it, if you're in a position of authority.

These "attackers" respect strength, but that can be defined in many ways. You do not want to instill physical or punishment fear in them, instead showing strength in your faith, values and convictions should earn some respect. When that is earned, you can begin to modify that behavior. Some will never respond to this type of attitude though, and I don't know how to open their eyes. I don't envy your job.

Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The instinct to strike back seems rooted in a survival instinct of some sort which makes it very powerful and for all practical purposes reflexive. Trying to change that is not so much like extinguishing the actual imnpulse but acknowledging it and chosing a different response consistently until the instinct loses it's power and momentum over us. I think so.

It's true that some seem to never really change their behaviour even with good mentoring and coaching. I wonder how St. Paul would have handled it. He basically said he became all things for others in order to win them to the faith. This does not mean he sinned but rather that he found ways of relating and connecting with all types of cultures and their attendant philosophies.

Most of the men are caustic because of a whole variety of things. But deep down I think we must all be the same, that is to say the soul is light and not darkness but some souls are so wrapped up in darkness, tangled up to various degrees, that the brilliance is dulled and distorted.
    If you are suffering from serious medical concerns please be sure to check with your doctor.

My name is Mark.

powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Forge3 View Post
    Just responded to the old notion that turning the other cheek means thast Christians are to be totally passive in relation to violence abuse. I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Been a long time since I posted in this thread.

Turning the other cheek in every situation causes opportunities for teaching to pass. I work with homeless men and have abusive comments aimed at me on a fairly regular basis. However, rather than just say nothing I challenge the maladaptive behaviour rather than reward and reinforce it by letting the other have his way. That same behaviour has caused many of the men to lose jobs, spend time in prison and have failed relationships.

In my opinion turning the other cheek does not mean to ignore how the person is behaving or being. It means not slapping his cheek in turn which is from the Lex Talion or the law of "An eye for an eye". That mentality characterized ancient Israel, Jerusalem etc and still exists today. The sang, "An eye for an eye and the whole world is blind" rings true. Jesus didn't want us to live in the darkness of fear, hate, greed so I think the in order to discredit something one needs to undertand it's roots, historical meaning and the paradigm that challenged it.
    Not much left for me to add after that Forge.

All I can do is echo what you've said.

God bless you and your work and keep with the perservering.
    Racism is completely irrational.

Raising taxes never created a single job.

powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gecko2424 View Post
    The instinct is to fight back, whether the attack is verbal of physical. I think allowing negative behavior is almost as bad as rewarding it, if you're in a position of authority.

These "attackers" respect strength, but that can be defined in many ways. You do not want to instill physical or punishment fear in them, instead showing strength in your faith, values and convictions should earn some respect. When that is earned, you can begin to modify that behavior. Some will never respond to this type of attitude though, and I don't know how to open their eyes. I don't envy your job.
    When I was a Deputy in So Cal and worked in the jails, the only thing the inmates respected was my physical size and power.

It was the same for the career criminal, white supremist, gang member as well as the petty thief, hispanic man.
    Racism is completely irrational.

Raising taxes never created a single job.

Registered User RelentlessChaos's Avatar
    RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Forge3 View Post

yup, perfect words written here. You should never ignore a persons wrong behavior, and pass it off as nothings going on. Heres two good verses.

Proverbs 26:4-5
    4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
    or you will be like him yourself.

5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
    or he will be wise in his own eyes.

These verses seem to be contradicting each other, and we may not know what they mean. But it is saying, do not answer a fool in the way he speaks/treats you. If he speaks in a negetive way, would ignoring i help? No, he'll become wise in his own eyes. Answering Him in the same way he speaks, will do nothing but make the hate, and tentions rise, and push each other farther. You are to answer in a humble way, a loving way, and correct them. Even if they have a response, inside, they will be shut out, and have lost.

These kinda go with what Forg3 was speaking about, turning the cheek, and eye for an eye.

timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My interpretation of turn the other cheek is that it's not implying sit there and be passive all the time. There is times to be passive but also times to kick ass basically. Basically repay with kindness even when people do evil to you.

Like when Jesus came upon the temple and found people selling stuff in his fathers house. He didn't just kindly ask them to leave or ignore them, he got out the whip . But when they came for him in the garden of gethsemene to crucify him he offered no resistance.

I think if you are being persecuted for religious reasons you have to be more careful about what actions you take. For example if another country invaded my country i'd have no hesitation to fight to defend it. But if for some reason christianity became illegal and punishable by death in my country I don't think God would want me going around killing people or defending myself that way

A bit extreme yes and I hope i'll never see that day but you never know. But if someone just takes a swing at you because they don't like you I think you have every reason to defend yourself
    Last edited by timbo81; 07-10-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Registered User RelentlessChaos's Avatar
    RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000) RelentlessChaos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by timbo81 View Post
    My interpretation of turn the other cheek is that it's not implying sit there and be passive all the time. There is times to be passive but also times to kick ass basically. Basically repay with kindness even when people do evil to you.

Like when Jesus came upon the temple and found people selling stuff in his fathers house. He didn't just kindly ask them to leave or ignore them, he got out the whip . But when they came for him in the garden of gethsemene to crucify him he offered no resistance.

I think if you are being persecuted for religious reasons you have to be more careful about what actions you take. For example if another country invaded my country i'd have no hesitation to fight to defend it. But if for some reason christianity became illegal and punishable by death in my country I don't think God would want me going around killing people or defending myself that way

A bit extreme yes and I hope i'll never see that day but you never know. But if someone just takes a swing at you because they don't like you I think you have every reason to defend yourself
    agreed. Theres times you need to speak the truth in love, and use wisdom of how and when to react/speak. make any sense? Basically you need to use wisdom on how to respond on certain ocassions. I agree with your three stories/points of view.

Even on the last one, in my human flesh i would prolly defend myself, till i could get away. I wouldnt knock someone out then get on top and beat them.

anyways, good post, reps, and i agree.

Maybe we should actually LOOK at the verses and their context??

Matthew 5:
    An Eye for an Eye
    38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
    Love for Enemies
    43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Luke 6:

17He went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coast of Tyre and Sidon, 18who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by evil spirits were cured, 19and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.

20Looking at his disciples, he said:
    "Blessed are you who are poor,
    for yours is the kingdom of God.
    21Blessed are you who hunger now,
    for you will be satisfied.
    Blessed are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh.
    22Blessed are you when men hate you,
    when they exclude you and insult you
    and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.

23"Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
    24"But woe to you who are rich,
    for you have already received your comfort.
    25Woe to you who are well fed now,
    for you will go hungry.
    Woe to you who laugh now,
    for you will mourn and weep.
    26Woe to you when all men speak well of you,
    for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.
    Love for Enemies
    27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

I'm not seeing suggestions here, but orders from our Leader.
    My Pastor is leading us through a study of a book called "Under Cover" by John Bevere. In it, he makes the point that if we defend ourselves or exact even the slightest bit of vengeance however justified it may be, we forfeit God's protection and His justice. The book is about dealing with those in positions of authority over us, but the principle applies universally: vengeance belongs to God and to God alone. Now I can tell you that I don't mind that nobody picks a fight with me because of my size and muscularity, but this is still a tremendous opportunity to emulate Christ in my day-to-day life.

Jesus was falsely accused, spat upon, and struck at his "trial". He spoke not one word in His defense. He was tortured and beaten and killed for no good reason and He did not strike back. Is He not our example?

I think we look for ways to respond because we all want justice: none of us really has the stomach for unfair treatment. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by ButteryPancakes; 07-11-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Originally Posted by ButteryPancakes View Post
    I think we look for ways to respond because we all want justice: none of us really has the stomach for unfair treatment. Just my opinion.
    I like your reasoning, BP. Keep it Biblical. However, I may tend to disagree somewhat with your extent.

What was the point that Jesus was making? That it's bad to defend ourselves? If so, that doesn't line up with Scripture, and Jesus never contradicted Himself (contrary to what "45-pound dumbbell bench-pressing atheists" may say ).

Or was He teaching us a principle which is not natural for the sinful heart? The point I learn from these passages is that revenge is sinful, and those who are led by the Spirit of God do not follow the sinful flesh. To not exact revenge for a wrong is not equivalent to defending oneself. If someone tries to throw down with me, I'm going to negate the threat (if physically possible). I will not seek out his address and firebomb his house.

Jesus spoke these words to a people who were under bondage to another power (Romans). The Roman law allowed a soldier to force a non-Roman citizen to supply the soldier with food, shelter, and even carry his burden for a distance. What Christ was doing was showing us that the spirit of sinful man would seek revenge and purposefully NOT do what the Romans insisted, whereas those led by His Spirit would not only comply with the law, but "go the extra mile", no doubt causing some of those solders to scratch their heads and ask, "what sort of person would willingly succumb to this treatment and not complain?"

I have to run, as this spiritual truth runs very, very deep and I don't have time to write all the thoughts I've acquired over the years from this one teaching.

Closed Thread
Page 208 of 308 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 218 258 ... LastLast