Thread: Shoulder Pain

Adam119 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder Pain

Hi Everyone

First time posting on the site and hoping that someone can help shed some info on a niggling shoulder injury that wont go away. It started about 10 weeks ago with no standout incident that triggered it, remember feeling a bit of discomfort in my right arm when the barbell started to slip doing cross arm front squats and later in the week doing on some dumbbell presses. I cant say these started the pain but are the only times I remember something didn't feel great. The pain itself is around the collar bone and pec/deltoid area and can only feel it with certain movements eg Bench/shoulder pressing. Upper body workouts have been none existent for the past couple of months and I have only started to try press-ups and pullups again. Even getting into position for back squats has been uncomfortable, my grip has to be so wide that my hands are touching the plates once the barbell is off the rack. The initial pull on deadlifts also feels uncomfortable but once I get going I am ok (right hand has to be underhand grip). Tried throwing a ball the other day with my daughter and felt the shoulder catching, ended up doing it underhand, LOL.

I have been doing all the normal r/c exercises and given the diesel crews rehab a blast and still the pain with the standout culprits being the dumbbell protractions/retractions along with the Cuban rotations. I have been having regular P.T sessions and the really frustrating thing is that they cant locate the pain or reproduce. I have passed all the impingement, ac joint and rc tests yet can feel a tendon flicking or catching in delt area when lowering my arm when doing the painful arch test. I can also do broom sick dislocations with no major issues. Getting desperate as I am busting to hit the gym properly but having had so much time without a proper workout I would rather try and resolve it now than risk further injury and even more time out.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated. The past 10 weeks have been torture and am starting to do my wifes head in moaning and groaning as well as starting to feel like a hypochondriac. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post.

Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Perry3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    About three weeks ago I started having the same sort of pain in my right shoulder collar bone area. It happened two chest days in a row during heavy (for me) dumbbell presses and was exacerbated doing flat flys.
    I got curious about it and went to YouTube to check some How To vids on presses and flys. Sure enough, my form was jacked up.
    I've been trouble free since I made the corrections. Essentially my elbows were way the hell out of line.
    Check your form.
    HTH
    I had a sig, but I deleted it.

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel for ya man, Ive been through hell and back with my right shoulder. Ive had just about everything done but still had clicking/pain. At one point the therapist even told me it was all in my head,lol....... wtf, seriously ? Long story short, I got another doctor and he did a sonogram/ ultrasound (?) on the shoulder. I told them that during x-rays and MRI's I didnt hurt...... maybe thats why everything looks fine on those, Im in good positions.

I ended up having bicep tendon surgery. The sonogram showed problems during movement. I dont know what your problem is, wont even guess. Look into it......................... cause it aint all in your head, its pain.

G'luck

splatthefly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splatthefly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splatthefly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splatthefly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splatthefly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splatthefly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Old advice from an old boy: Train around it not through it but don't use it as an excuse to stop training

Originally Posted by Perry3 View Post
    About three weeks ago I started having the same sort of pain in my right shoulder collar bone area. It happened two chest days in a row during heavy (for me) dumbbell presses and was exacerbated doing flat flys.
    I got curious about it and went to YouTube to check some How To vids on presses and flys. Sure enough, my form was jacked up.
    I've been trouble free since I made the corrections. Essentially my elbows were way the hell out of line.
    Check your form.
    HTH

Viking1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viking1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viking1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Viking1969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like it could possibly be your Acromion a bone on the end of the collar bone a common injury that is consistent with over head lifting of weights.

Adam119 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the quick replies, will keep an eye out on the thread and post any info that I come across that may help be of help to anyone else that's having the problem. Meantime will try to work around the injury as clocking up the miles on the treadmill is starting to get a bit boring.

postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000) postman123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Perry3 View Post
    Check your form.
    HTH
    ^^^ this. Especially when doing dumbbell bench pressing be sure to keep your elbows tucked in and not flared out. Made a world of difference for me.
    "It is a mind game, I'm going to win." - EjnarKolinkar

RockStar In Life! rockstarinlife's Avatar
    rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50) rockstarinlife will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yea... Check your form and maybe switch out some exercises that are causing you pain.

Risk vs Benifit when choosing exercises.

I won't do dips or overhead dumbbell extensions because they always cause my elbows and shoulder pain. I use cables and resistance bands instead and get pumped without the pain and all the gain :-)

CMLS1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CMLS1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CMLS1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CMLS1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CMLS1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thoracic mobility excercises-

mobility in this area has been shown to help shoulder impingement and frozen shoulder

karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100) karlsson11 is not very well liked. (-100)
    ask a doctor