KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Fitness center opening up, aaarrrgggghhh...

At last, my small community is going to have a fitness center. I stopped by this morning to check it out. Nice place, pool for laps, BB court, etc. I walked upstairs to the weight area and was a little disappointed. Machines, machines, and more machines. A few dumbells, none over 25 lbs. Row upon row of cardio equipment. Not even a smith machine. Beats the hospital rehab area, though. Oh well, at least I can swim and do some of my lower body stuff there....Too bad my town is way too small for a decent BB gym to make it, I'm afraid I have to settle for YMCA instead of Gold's or World...
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......

hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KLMARB View Post
    At last, my small community is going to have a fitness center. I stopped by this morning to check it out. Nice place, pool for laps, BB court, etc. I walked upstairs to the weight area and was a little disappointed. Machines, machines, and more machines. A few dumbells, none over 25 lbs. Row upon row of cardio equipment. Not even a smith machine. Beats the hospital rehab area, though. Oh well, at least I can swim and do some of my lower body stuff there....Too bad my town is way too small for a decent BB gym to make it, I'm afraid I have to settle for YMCA instead of Gold's or World...
    Where abouts in Iowa? I'm originaly from Des Moines, my sister lives in Busey.
    You're either in or in the way!

I'm not really a comedian, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by hotdamnman View Post
    Where abouts in Iowa? I'm originaly from Des Moines, my sister lives in Busey.
    I live in Maquoketa, kind of half-way between the quad cities and Dubuque....
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......

hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I live in Maquoketa, kind of half-way between the quad cities and Dubuque....
    I lived in Dubuque for a while, and Cedar Falls.

Dubuque is a fun place, I go there quite a bit, I have a few old teammates up there running the rugby club..Don't get to Cedar Falls much, been several years....

WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've done some projects in the Quad Cities, love that area....

They are getting ready to open a Gold's here in Toledo... Not sure there's enough people concerned about their health here to keep em open, we'll see...
    Last edited by WeebleNoMore; 10-24-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: cause i'm dumb.
    Non Smoker since August 1, 2007

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. ~ Frank A. Clark

Hard to beat Iowa when it comes to trouble free living. No worries about personal safety. In general, the people are very friendly as well. I guess those were the main things that brought me back. There is a Gold's in the quad cities, but thats 45 mins away...

StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Since this turned into an Iowa thread, I lived in Dennison, when I was 10. Funny thing, a few years ago on my way out west, I stopped there for old times sake. Didn't even recognize the place.

redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000)

Question

Originally Posted by WeebleNoMore View Post
    I've done some projects in the Quad Cities, love that area....

They are getting ready to open a Gold's here in Toledo... Not sure there's enough people concerned about their health here to keep em open, we'll see...
    Weeble, I know what you mean, where do you workout?

keeponpumpin-red
    Enjoy The Pump Of Life !!

IT'S NOT WHAT KIND OF CAR YOU DRIVE THAT COUNTS, IT'S THE SIZE OF THE ARM YOU HANG OUT THE WINDOW!

Originally Posted by StartinOver-68 View Post
    Since this turned into an Iowa thread, I lived in Dennison, when I was 10. Funny thing, a few years ago on my way out west, I stopped there for old times sake. Didn't even recognize the place.
    Its all changed, I grew up in Iowa City and went to school there, but now it reminds me much more of California than it does Iowa.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I feel your pain.

Last October my company opened its fitness center. I was very disappointed when I saw the equipment being installed. The only thing remotely resembling anything that could hold heavy weights is the Smith machine.

The dumbells go up to a whopping 60 lbs; the free weight bar is ~35 lb; there are 6 45 lb plates, 2 25s, 2 35s, and a few 5s and 10s; there are selectorized machines and cardio machines. About the only way I can get a halfway decent workout in there is with the Smith machine. I can squat, bench press, overhead press, rack pull and bent over row. But I far prefer my regular gym, which has tons of freeweights.

But as my boss pointed out to me when he saw the disappointment on my face: "it's not for powerlifters" as he motioned to me.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by redweston View Post
    Weeble, I know what you mean, where do you workout?

keeponpumpin-red
    Red, I workout in a friend's basement. How about you?
    Non Smoker since August 1, 2007

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. ~ Frank A. Clark

Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shakli is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Fond memories of Iowa city. I did my Grad work there.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "Fitness Center" means its not for bodybuilders. Its for the "mainstream" population, who sadly make up a much bigger market. By keeping out heavy dumbbells and other bodybuilding tools, it keeps us away so that the regular population doesn't feel intimidated and inadequate.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I train at home now,most of the old school gyms are gone in the Philadelphia area.

Registered User MichelleRenee12's Avatar
    MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I understand! There isn't even a Y in my town - it's too tiny.

yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MichelleRenee12 View Post
    I understand! There isn't even a Y in my town - it's too tiny.
    Guess I'm very lucky. Two years ago when our Hospital said they were going to open a "wellness center" I thought "machines and Pilates balls". We have those, but we got this stuff too. I'm amazed that a small town in West Central Georgia did this. Kudos to our Hospital board for their vision and courage.Our town has seen it's economy destroyed and it's younger population sucked out to the larger surrounding cities like Atlanta, Columbus and Macon. It is interesting to note that the Hospital Board with the support of the community leaders used fitness and wellness as a marketing tool to attract industry and jobs back here. The impact it has had on our community is nothing short of astounding. I would have to drive a 80 miles to get to this kind of equipment. I pinch myself every morning.
    Attached Images
    Lion or Sheep. It's your Choice.
    Life is short but it is W I D E.
    Life draws without an eraser.

mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mature_1_59 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ok, since everyone else is confessing.....I grew up in Muscatine, did my undergrad work at Cedar Falls and Iowa City, still have family in the Iowa City area.
    So...I say to a friend that I can't eat what she eats because "I eat funny". So she says "what does funny taste like?". So I say "Like rubber chicken".

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I flew over Iowa once..

The trend in a lot of health clubs especially ones owned by governments is machines only. It cuts the probability of liability issues down a lot. Our new pool / fitness complex is going to open on Saturday. 2 pools waterslide, aerobics room and fitness center. The fitness center will be nothing but machines and db to 40 pounds. The Director of Finance is a good friend and lifter, he told the City council flat out that they needed Free weights. Their reply to him was they were doing it on purpose so the facility was not as attractive to the "Steroid Crowd". Thing is it makes it unattractive to most serious fitness people not just the "Steroid Crowd". BTW the mayor is a fat ass who should lift weights but doesn't know squat.

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Born in Iowa City, the hospital is now a parking lot . Lived there off and on for about 5 years 1st, 2nd grade and 4th, 5th at Hawkeye Court University Housing, it was great, woods all around, lots of natural clay deposits, clean, crime and worry free. A golf course right across the road for sledding. Very fond memories. 7th grade lived not to far from the stadium. Have not been back since. Mom got her PhD there.
    UP the IRONS!

heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50) heavywt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TANK25 View Post
    I train at home now,most of the old school gyms are gone in the Philadelphia area.
    An "old school" gym owner once mentioned to me that the "fitness gyms" were the best way to make money because:

1) you attract people that wouldn't ordinarily go to "the gym" because your
    "equipment" is beautifully maintained, everyone looks pretty and dolled up, etc.
    2) you sign them up for a year (or multiyear contract).
    3) they work out a few times, and due to lack of motivation stop coming. Thus wear and tear on the machines is kept to a minimum, and you're still collecting from them on their long, long contract.
    4) Return to Step 1 above.

No "old school' gyms in Philly? Don't live there anymore, and I certainly understand the allure of a home gym, but what about Ironsport?

http://www.ironsport.com

not exactly "in philly" but it's about as old-school as it gets. and the folks there are fantastic. If i had a teleporter I'd work out there every night...

Also, i used to train at Old City Ironworks. I belive that is also still a good gym...

Originally Posted by heavywt View Post
    An "old school" gym owner once mentioned to me that the "fitness gyms" were the best way to make money because:

1) you attract people that wouldn't ordinarily go to "the gym" because your
    "equipment" is beautifully maintained, everyone looks pretty and dolled up, etc.
    2) you sign them up for a year (or multiyear contract).
    3) they work out a few times, and due to lack of motivation stop coming. Thus wear and tear on the machines is kept to a minimum, and you're still collecting from them on their long, long contract.
    4) Return to Step 1 above.

No "old school' gyms in Philly? Don't live there anymore, and I certainly understand the allure of a home gym, but what about Ironsport?

http://www.ironsport.com

not exactly "in philly" but it's about as old-school as it gets. and the folks there are fantastic. If i had a teleporter I'd work out there every night...

Also, i used to train at Old City Ironworks. I belive that is also still a good gym...
    Here is what does not make sense to me. My small community is not very fitness-oriented. True, there are some who are, but we have no population of young professionals who are more apt to join. We do have a large elderly population, but many use the hospital, which is less expensive. Combine this with the fact that the center was originally sold on the basis that it would not require public funds, but eventually the city did have to chip in, to the annoyance of many residents. Now here is the kicker: They give no discounts for yearly memberships. They currently have around 600 people signed up, but with few "in the lifestyle" I think they probably won't maintain a high enough membership to be self sufficient. All this with the fact that our county is one of the poorest in the state, so money for memberships will be the first thing people cut if things are tight or if they have met their goals. We'll just have to see...

Here is what does not make sense to me. My small community is not very fitness-oriented. True, there are some who are, but we have no population of young professionals who are more apt to join. We do have a large elderly population, but many use the hospital, which is less expensive. Combine this with the fact that the center was originally sold on the basis that it would not require public funds, but eventually the city did have to chip in, to the annoyance of many residents. Now here is the kicker: They give no discounts for yearly memberships. They currently have around 600 people signed up, but with few "in the lifestyle" I think they probably won't maintain a high enough membership to be self sufficient. All this with the fact that our county is one of the poorest in the state, so money for memberships will be the first thing people cut if things are tight or if they have met their goals. We'll just have to see...
    If you've got some like minded friends, maybe you could start your own private gym.