oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

The scientific verdict on keto?

Hi!

First post, new to this great forum! Was lurking around and found the keto section. Keto seems very popular here, which surprised me. I thought it had been debunked by recent studies. I am no expert, was just wondering.

"KLC and NLC diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted."

Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 May;83(5):1055-61. Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets.

It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by oligark View Post
    Hi!

First post, new to this great forum! Was lurking around and found the keto section. Keto seems very popular here, which surprised me. I thought it had been debunked by recent studies. I am no expert, was just wondering.

"KLC and NLC diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted."

Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 May;83(5):1055-61. Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets.

Ketosis isn't necessary for weight loss. Keeping carbohydrates low enough to prevent insulin spikes is. A low-carb diet can achieve this without being ketogenic. That being said, I believe ketosis is quite helpful in making fat a preferred fuel for the body.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-.../dp/1400040787

-PP
    I just want to be healthy.

oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) oligark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    But I was under the impression that there is no advantage to a ketogenic state in itself, apart from fat loss side effects. On the contrary, ketogenic states are supposed to be very hard on the body (since they are a state of fasting). Also got the impression that people were interested in it as a method of loosing fat, but might be wrong. Just curious...

It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    But I was under the impression that there is no advantage to a ketogenic state in itself, apart from fat loss side effects. On the contrary, ketogenic states are supposed to be very hard on the body (since they are a state of fasting). Also got the impression that people were interested in it as a method of loosing fat, but might be wrong. Just curious...
    There is still a lot of research to be done on ketosis. Some people have stated that ketones are actually a preferred fuel for the brain and once the initial adjustment period is over, the body, and especially the brain and heart, run better on ketones. Others contend otherwise. Again, more research needs to be done, but epileptic children have been fed ketogenic diets for a long time with no negative effects. Ketoacidosis on the other hand can be very dangerous in untreated diabetes mellitus but isn't a worry for non-diabetics.

It is definitely a successful fat-loss method. Ketosis helps your body burn its own fat as a fuel source. I don't think it is necessary, but I do think it is helpful.

I am in ketosis 90% of the time. I find no negative side effects at all.

-PP
    I just want to be healthy.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A human infant is in ketosis for the first 6-12 months of life, or for however long it nurses; humans have eaten ketogenic diets for over 200,000 years. Only in the last 8,000-10,000 years have we eaten grains. The Inuit, North American Plains Indian, Australian Aborigines and other hunter-gatherer societies have eaten low carb/keto diets for almost all of their histories.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi!

Low carb, keto, it is pretty much all the same. You are splitting hairs and trying to stir things up.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I smell a troll.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ketosis is not magic, you don't suddenly lose lots of weight because you're in ketosis. But because it stops you feeling ravenously hungry all the time, it's a lot easier to stick to a diet based on below maintenance calories.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Because of this diet I've lost nearly 40 lbs of fat, have felt much more energetic, eat way more vegetables than I did before and drink a lot more water.

Gee, what a terrible diet! :P

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Read the sticky in my signature....if you dare. You wanna know the scientific verdict? Well, there's a lot of crap 'scientific verdicts' out there. The trick is to LEARN the science and come up with your OWN verdict.

ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Ketosis is not magic, you don't suddenly lose lots of weight because you're in ketosis. But because it stops you feeling ravenously hungry all the time, it's a lot easier to stick to a diet based on below maintenance calories.
    Keto makes me hungry!
    Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

"Bodybuilding is fifty percent diet, and sixty percent training. Yes, that adds up to 110%. Because that's what you should be giving it." DJauto

Workout journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=58637081#post58637081

jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry

I am sorry, but what oligark is an idiot. This thread was started simply to instigate people. It is akin to going on a NAACP forum and asking about the benefits of slavery!!!!!?????!!!! What a troll.

Furthermore, the troll simply quoted an article, provided no link or the complete article so that one could actually read the article in depth and figure out the basis of the article, what is it that they are trying to prove and their methodology.

I suspect he/she works for the Pasta or White bread lobby and is trying to promote disinformation so that people can start gobbling up pounds of carbs as they used to !

Troll!
    FYI: I am still a newb

Surely you people are better than the NAACP! But honestly, i didn't mean do sound like an instigator. I'm from sweden and usually hang around in a swedish forum were keto gets bad reviews from the knowledgable people, you know the ones that always has tons of scientific articles bring up. I just copied mine from a post there. But many of you are obviously extremely konwledgable as well so I was just wondering if there was omething more to it. The difference between KLC and NLC is not really splitting hair cause all diet is based on energy deficit, whether ketogenic or not. And I buy the argument that you simply get less hungry eating lots of fat and protein. So even though i'm not really convinced that its a better way to diet compared to other types of energy deficit (i.e. if you stick to your diet), its still intruiging that it might be a better state for the body to be in, especially since people claim to feel better (and then there is the evolutionary argument as well..)

spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) spider has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

Surely you people are better than the NAACP! But honestly, i didn't mean do sound like an instigator. I'm from sweden and usually hang around in a swedish forum were keto gets bad reviews from the knowledgable people, you know the ones that always has tons of scientific articles bring up. I just copied mine from a post there. But many of you are obviously extremely konwledgable as well so I was just wondering if there was omething more to it. The difference between KLC and NLC is not really splitting hair cause all diet is based on energy deficit, whether ketogenic or not. And I buy the argument that you simply get less hungry eating lots of fat and protein. So even though i'm not really convinced that its a better way to diet compared to other types of energy deficit (i.e. if you stick to your diet), its still intruiging that it might be a better state for the body to be in, especially since people claim to feel better (and then there is the evolutionary argument as well..)

KETO is diffenitely better for some of us LUCKY people--you just have to try it and find out if your one of us!!

BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by spider View Post
    KETO is diffenitely better for some of us LUCKY people--you just have to try it and find out if your one of us!!
    come to the dark side oligark *mechanical breathing*
    "Just do the diet, lift hard and take pictures of yourself naked. As long as the scale is going down, your lifts are going up and your pix look good, ignore everything else." - Eileen

My pet hate? Half measures.....there's no kill like an overkill!!
    Self Discipline is telling that little voice in your head to shut the f$%k up.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you have a very healthy pancreatic system, then all diets are equal when it comes to fat loss. But most of us have been abusing our insulin systems for years by eating a high carb diet with too much sugar and processed food. In this case, you really need to cut out all the crap carbs and stick to fresh meat, eggs, fish and lots of green veggies.

If you have any leanings towards type 2 diabetes, your doctor should put you on a keto type diet. In fact, before injectible insulin was developed, a keto diet was the gold standard treatment for type 1 diabetes too.

There are a host of diseases and disorders where a keto diet is (or should be) the stanard treatment. Gestational diabetes, epilepsy, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides, gallstones, heartburn, and that's just the beginning.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders