new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

best alternative for chest-dips

hi everyone,

I got a problem, my gym sold all their eqipment and got new machines, dumbells, everything is brandnew

actually a good thing, but unfortunately they don't have the great assisted dips/chin up machine anymore..

I'm not that strong yet so that I can do chins / dips without the assist let alone weighted!!!

for chins I could switch to lat-pulldowns, but what about chest-dips?

my chest routine used to be

flat BB press
    incline DB press
    chest dips

how do you do dips if you can only do like 3 reps, I need an alternative! help!

Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do decline bench press. That will help.

Edit: You can also try for 4 reps next time you do dips and try to increase at least one rep everytime. Before you know it you will need to add weight.

Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Serynu
    Do decline bench press. That will help.
    Yeah, decline bench press is very similar to what chest dips target. Although chest dips are probably better.
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

Peter Griffin Genetics BuffaJoe's Avatar
    BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just keep blasting away your chest and tri's

-before you know it, you'll do just fine at the dip station

Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vail will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by new_arnie
    how do you do dips if you can only do like 3 reps, I need an alternative! help!
    Id do those 3 reps then start throwin in negatives.... just my $.02
    "If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders - what would you tell him to do?" - Ayn Rand

I rep back

bigjoe87865 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigjoe87865 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    eat a Twinkee...

jp... but do decline... those will work

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bymp to the above decline

also, don't switch to latpulls, they suck (in comparrison) - do rack chins

although i would start lookng for a better gym.
    <->

Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you can only do three, you have a few options.

1: have your partner hold your feet as you do them. This will take off +/- 25 pounds letting you hit the 8 rep range.

2: Do dips off a weight bench with your feet propped up on another. this will allow you to maybe hit 6-8. It hits the triceps far more, but will help you condition so you can handle 6+ full dips. When you hit 10 reps, throw a 45lbs. plate on your lap and start at 6 again.

3: Decline Bench

Keep doing those three dips in the mean time. it will turn to 4, then 5 soon enough.

new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok thanks

decline bench may be a good idea

although I wonder wether I should do both flat benchpress and decline benchpress? I thought it would be good to have some other exercise besides presses for chest..