Adi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need HELP with arms!

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm very excited to start posting here! Everyone seems so knowledgeable and it's nice to see other women that are interested in weight training.

My problem stems from being a shot-putter back in highschool... Although I only trained for that for a few years, my right arm has been bigger than my left ever since!

Today, I was at the gym with my hubby and our friend and they had the bright idea of measuring their biceps... (guys huh! ...) My right arm is a little over 13 in. and my left arm is barely up to 12.5! I know that it's not a huge difference, but it's enough so that I can see it.

Is there anything I can do to bring my left arm up a notch? I usually do dumbell curls, 3 sets of 12 with 20lbs. Occasionally, I'll go for the incline curl.

irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squat

I do? What's your point?

It's Supposed to Hurt! Thuirwyne's Avatar
    Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Most people have anywhere from .25 to .5 of an inch difference, so not to worry. Stick with dumbells for all your arm exercises. Pay close attention to your smaller, weaker arm and don't let your left side help your arm cheat the weight even a little. You may do 8 reps with one and only 6 with the other; have a trainer partner tap it up (or down)for you, or even better, do a rest-pause and squeeze out the reps yourself.

GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Start working the left arm harder...c'mon on SQUEEZE IT...SQUEEZE IT. Intensity is everything!

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Way to be helpful people!

Firstly - welcome! It is always great to see more females passionate about weight training on the forum!!

Originally Posted by Adi
    Today, I was at the gym with my hubby and our friend and they had the bright idea of measuring their biceps... (guys huh! ...) My right arm is a little over 13 in. and my left arm is barely up to 12.5! I know that it's not a huge difference, but it's enough so that I can see it.

Is there anything I can do to bring my left arm up a notch? I usually do dumbell curls, 3 sets of 12 with 20lbs. Occasionally, I'll go for the incline curl.
    Ok - stick with DB work - that way your stronger right arm can't take most of the work.

I would then stick with what you are doing for your right arm (so it doesn't grow any more).

Then, with your left arm - you should probably add in a little more volume. 6-9 sets of direct work would be fine. Dropping the rep range for some of the work (6to 8 rep range) may help and adding in different exercises such as preacher curls would also be good. You could also do some shock techniques such as 21's, partials and drop sets.

Thanks Emma-Leigh, that was very helpful! I'll try your suggestions at my next work out.

irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishbuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    isolation work is not what makes the body grow.

compound exercises however do.

GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) GREEKTITAN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    She's just not using the left arm enough. She has to use it more...vigorously too.

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're most likey favoring one arm over the other and that is normal. It's also normal to be a little stronger on one side then the other. I think you should continue training and use dumbells and your other arm with catch up. I wouldn't worry about it too much.