Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cwh1020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beer and Weightlifting

I've searched this and haven't found what I'm looking for, it seems so cut and dry. I understand that getting totally wasted three times a week is going to not help you make any gains but say right now I feel like drinking a six pack. I lifted hard today and just feel like drinking some beer for instance. Is this that bad when it comes to making gains? If it is then would 2-3 beers have a real bad effect as well? I guess it depends on a person's goals to when it comes to drinking and lifting. It's like I am preparing for a bodybuilding competition I am just a guy who wants to stay and shape and have a good body.

Another thing is right now i'm on the BSN mass stack consisting of N.o. xplode, cellmass, and nitrix. Would drinking a few beers mess that all up too? Just curious if I'm going to need to seriously cut down on drinking the next month or so. Any suggestions help.

Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stevo1313 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cwh1020 View Post
    I've searched this and haven't found what I'm looking for, it seems so cut and dry. I understand that getting totally wasted three times a week is going to not help you make any gains but say right now I feel like drinking a six pack. I lifted hard today and just feel like drinking some beer for instance. Is this that bad when it comes to making gains? If it is then would 2-3 beers have a real bad effect as well? I guess it depends on a person's goals to when it comes to drinking and lifting. It's like I am preparing for a bodybuilding competition I am just a guy who wants to stay and shape and have a good body.

Another thing is right now i'm on the BSN mass stack consisting of N.o. xplode, cellmass, and nitrix. Would drinking a few beers mess that all up too? Just curious if I'm going to need to seriously cut down on drinking the next month or so. Any suggestions help.
    Your not gonna find the answer your looking for. No drinking wont kill you, but like everything else its in modertation, if you get totally wasted even once a week, thats definetly a cheat for the week.

Well now that you got wasted you cant cheat with real food (well you can but now your cheating twice in a week) not to mention when im drunk, some late night eating of some terrible food goes on.

If you want a "nice" body like you say then sacrifices have to be made, drinking is usually one of them.
    losing is a habit...so is winning

Pain is weakness leaving the body

Love life

Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nah drinking is alright if you can avoid eating!

I got out in club and drink as much as i want everyweek and i just skip the pre bed meal and dance all evening! Most of the time ill get into a calories deficit if i dance all night and even more if i end up with an hot girl...

Just gotta avoid eating while drinking and if your that worry...have 4-5 straight shot of vodka and youll be in the mood like everyone else and it not that much calories...

As for your muscle...i dont know if it bad, i was wondering too!

bmdubbiyu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alcohol lowers protein synthesis.

And yes, alcohol can lower muscle gains.

=o

hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiroshawn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    once i sucked down two beers b4 i lifted and i swear i was lifting 25% more than regular.

hookedlonghorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hookedlonghorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hookedlonghorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hookedlonghorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hookedlonghorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hookedlonghorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hookedlonghorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Beer with protein would be a novel idea! Wonder how it would taste..

Sport Nutritionist :) WannaBbig!'s Avatar
    WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WannaBbig! has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

If you're binging 3 times a week then you most certainly do need to cut down for health reasons rather than muscle gains. For men, that's 3 standard units a day (21 units a week).

Alcohol is is used as the preferential source of fuel when it's consumed over carbohydrate and more importantly fat (you burn fat constantly while at rest and low intensity activity).

Over time and with a calorie surplus (too many kebabs and curries after a night out!) this can lead to weight gain (fat).

I'm not 100% sure about its effects on protein synthesis but I wouldn't be suprised if it did lower it.
    "This game, this iron warfare... S**t, it's all about progress and conquest. Bettering yourself, besting the weights, evolving at a constant, regular pace toward your ideal physique." - Animalpak.com

Fail to Plan...then Plan to Fail.

Dialene 4 review: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=95389043#post95389043

Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean Loveridge will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lets stop splitting hairs here. Some of the strongest guys I know are regular brewers. Take a look at the old school Bill Kazmaier... Perhaps if I dug up images of Arnold and his favorite stein would suffice?
    I've had some of my best pumps post brewing. 36oz of a dark beer and some form of starchy food. You'll be pumped beyond the next day!

Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aaron47pb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Going out and having a few drinks now and then isn't going to kill you. Its just really easy to get into a routine and its a slippery slope from there... Alcohol does lower your protein synthesis and testosterone levels among other things:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson11.htm
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/bigalcohol.htm

matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if i was going to be dirnkign regularly i certainly wouldnt be wasting money on 'miscellaneous' supplements. Just a multi some whey and fish oil
    "There's levels of retardation most people don't even know about"

- Matt's Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=84812603#post84812603

"Solid session after all that alcohol intoxication" - Kruczynski

rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sean Loveridge View Post
    Lets stop splitting hairs here. Some of the strongest guys I know are regular brewers. Take a look at the old school Bill Kazmaier... Perhaps if I dug up images of Arnold and his favorite stein would suffice?
    Valid - plenty of big, strong guys have drank (or do drink) regularly.
    I can't imagine binge drinking being anything but bad for your BBing goals, though - but its likely you'll get away with light drinking.

In the end everyone is going to respond differently so just try it and see.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

it will only prohibit ur gains.. empty calories that tend to be stored as fat easy

also its bad becasue ur Underage! Look out for the Coppas!!!!

but anything in moderation is fine bro.. just LIMIT ur beer intake it will catch up to you

and whats the deal with all the supps?? just focus on getting a good pre workout meal and u can do without the NO X-Plode.. prove save u a bunch more money for ur beer too

ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like beer PWO because it quenches my thirst and builds up the muscle fibras.

KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Smallbigsam View Post
    Nah drinking is alright if you can avoid eating!

I got out in club and drink as much as i want everyweek and i just skip the pre bed meal and dance all evening! Most of the time ill get into a calories deficit if i dance all night and even more if i end up with an hot girl...

Just gotta avoid eating while drinking and if your that worry...have 4-5 straight shot of vodka and youll be in the mood like everyone else and it not that much calories...

As for your muscle...i dont know if it bad, i was wondering too!
    You're better off eating something, where's the nutritional value in beer? Consider it a cheat and move on with your life.

Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jaws08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not only is it empty calories it will reduce your testosterone

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Aaron47pb View Post
    Its just really easy to get into a routine and its a slippery slope from there...
    exactly...this is how most people are I believe, a few, turns into a binge night...and its repeat every week.
    @__@

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by grapemaster View Post
    exactly...this is how most people are I believe, a few, turns into a binge night...and its repeat every week.
    not only a few a lot.. i should print out this therad and post it in the gym.. i love when all the frat dudes complain about how they arent getting bigger , only their stomach is..

then after they are done sweating their ass off in the gym.. they walk outside.. pick up some chic-fil-a.. and then go back to their frat across the street and eat a 10 pack of chicken tenders and down about 3-4 beers and a large fry..

wonder why..

rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock_ten will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't help but acknowledge, though, that all my peers at university in sports teams, who have a couple of beers p/w and then are out that night until 5am binge drinking, still manage to maintain a level of fitness far beyond my own, and totally dominate

http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/442965%5C <--- a thread about university/college athletes and drinking
    Last edited by rock_ten; 10-24-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KryptoKnight View Post
    You're better off eating something, where's the nutritional value in beer? Consider it a cheat and move on with your life.
    Nah, the big cheat would be that huge breakfast i need in the morning to feel good!

Nutritional values of the thing i drink dont matter, as long as your body as some fuel, it all good to and it only one evening a day!

Inquire about Zapnin SolidSteel86's Avatar
    SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's a distinct difference between binging and drinking once in a while.

Binging is really bad for you, having a few beers won't really affect your lifting at all.
    I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor. -- Thoreau

Surgeon By 2012 or Bust! -Aaron-'s Avatar
    -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Arnold did it, so you can too.
    "The world will look up and shout save us... And I'll whisper, no."

Leonidas300, SCDiesel23, Jkeith are my heroes.

sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000)
    "Guinness for Strength" or so the add goes....
    National Competitor

DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DomzyCuttin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I get vvasted once a vveek. About 1 vveekend a month that vvill be tvvice a vveek. This means I binge drink about 5 times a month, and I dont feel it has hurt my gains that much. In tvvo years I vvent from 170 at about 15% bf to 224 vvith about 12% bf. And I rarely miss my vveekend drink binge, In the summer I vvas in Europe and binge drank 25 out of 30 days... I came back and it took 2 vveeks to make it up, not to bad... But poster above vvas right, I do consider it my 1 cheat, and I avoid all the other **** people take in after drinking like pizza, vvhich is vvhat my friends usually have after, ill say no, it used to be fn hard and i'd crack, but novv its nothing, i'd easily rather take in 1500 calories of lovv carb beer than 1500 calories of disgusting, bloating sodium filled pizza. JMO

I also try to take in some slovv digesting protein before and then during my drinking ill pull out a chicken breast or protein shake, kinda vvierd at the bar vvhen your making up a protein shake, but vv/e. Then your not really loosing, even if your not synthesizing as much, the beer just compensates for other calories i'd have othervvise.
    Last edited by DomzyCuttin; 10-24-2007 at 12:41 PM.
    Sudbury Ontario championships july june 11 2011 - 5th light heavy weight class
    London Ontario championships nov 26 2011 - 2nd heavy weight class

Next shows - Missisauga championship May 19th and Ontario championship June 2nd

LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bmdubbiyu View Post
    Alcohol lowers protein synthesis.
    Worst is that it lowers testosterone levels...I think a lot of guys who are new to nutrition don't realize how important testosterone is.

I don'y drink very often....maybe once a month usually, but I am in Europe for this fall semester and right now it's my fall break. I just got back from 4 nights of 'binge' drinking in Barcelona and tomorrow I leave for Dublin to stay 3 nights there (where I'll definitely be drinking alot).

I know its gonna be really bad for me to be drinking so much this week, but how many times can I say that I had a week long party from Barcelona to Dublin?

After this week of no sleep, boozing and crappy food (and only 1 day of working out) I won't touch alcohol for at least a month most likely.

BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000) BB_Surf is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by hookedlonghorn View Post
    Beer with protein would be a novel idea! Wonder how it would taste..
    +1

Anyone homebrew? Add some protein. I think I'll try this.

dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dave.mc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sixzebra View Post
    "Guinness for Strength" or so the add goes....
    I love guiness, im gonna start drinking it too help with my bulk haha

Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jerbee02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you're committed to drinking, you may want to consider switching how you're getting alcohol into your system. Here's the situation that I was faced with when I decided I wanted to get serious about improving my body. I've been a Party Pics photographer for 2 years, so I've gotten free drinks at all of the campus bars. This sounds great until you realize just how bad 12 beers a night multiplied by 2-3 nights a week really is. What I did, and would recommend you try for a while also, is this:

Switch from drinking beer to drinking a "better" mixed drink, such as diet coke and vanilla vodka.

Bud Light has 110 calories, and is 4.2% alcohol (8.4 proof).
    Diet Coke & Vanilla flavored Vodka has 94 calories, but the 1.5oz that make up the shot of vodka is 80-100 proof. This makes it, ounce for ounce, a much better decision than the beer. It's also carb free, which beer isn't.

Bear in mind that eating while drunk is going to get you every time unless you're careful about it. If you can resist the urge to make that late-night stop at Jack in the Box you'll definitely do well whichever choice you make. Also, be careful about what mixer you're using in your drink. Some things, like orange juice may in fact be "orange flavored juice" which is generally what is on tap at most bars. Your best bet is to stick with diet soft drinks and tonics.

I did a search on the matter and found this link which might be of interest to some of you:

http://travellady.com/issues/issue69/spirits.htm

LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LedJinDairy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jerbee02 View Post
    If you're committed to drinking, you may want to consider switching how you're getting alcohol into your system. Here's the situation that I was faced with when I decided I wanted to get serious about improving my body. I've been a Party Pics photographer for 2 years, so I've gotten free drinks at all of the campus bars. This sounds great until you realize just how bad 12 beers a night multiplied by 2-3 nights a week really is. What I did, and would recommend you try for a while also, is this:

Switch from drinking beer to drinking a "better" mixed drink, such as diet coke and vanilla vodka.

Bud Light has 110 calories, and is 4.2% alcohol (8.4 proof).
    Diet Coke & Vanilla flavored Vodka has 94 calories, but the 1.5oz that make up the shot of vodka is 80-100 proof. This makes it, ounce for ounce, a much better decision than the beer. It's also carb free, which beer isn't.

Bear in mind that eating while drunk is going to get you every time unless you're careful about it. If you can resist the urge to make that late-night stop at Jack in the Box you'll definitely do well whichever choice you make. Also, be careful about what mixer you're using in your drink. Some things, like orange juice may in fact be "orange flavored juice" which is generally what is on tap at most bars. Your best bet is to stick with diet soft drinks and tonics.

I did a search on the matter and found this link which might be of interest to some of you:

http://travellady.com/issues/issue69/spirits.htm

very true...but beer = amazing.

reps for the link.