mikej321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rugby/ bulking up program

Gday, I tried desinging my own strength buildin program for rugby, also with the aim to bulk up to 85-90kg, currently im 70kg. I play in the outside backs, so winger, outside if i ever can get lucky enough. Please assess and provide some input, would be greatly appreciated. A lot of people think this is too much isolation work, got my split worked out and everything but want to bulk with minimal fat.

Thanks Michael

Chest - Flat d/b press, incline d/b press, flyes and dips
    Triceps - Reverse pushdowns, skull crushers, close grip press
    Shoulders - Military press, arnold press, d/b lateral raise
    Traps - upright rows, shrugs (d/b and barbell)
    Legs - Squats, lunges, leg presses, leg curls
    Back - Chin ups, Dead lifts, T bar rows, Dumbbell rows
    Biceps - Barbell curls, hammer curls

anyone?

DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How is this going to be spread out through the week? Rep ranges? Periodisation? And about half of those exercises could go out. You haven't supplied much in terms of detail.
    "Something witty and humorous"

Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kyza will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Being a current rugby player and also a lifter I know whats up.

I haven't looked at the split because imo it doesn't matter. As long as your lifting then thats important.

Now, thats not the big part of it. NUTRITION.

You will need to put on a lot of that muscle through eating right. You will need to do a bulk cycle, then obviously cut.

Try to aim to gain around .5kg per week.

If you need more help, reply here or check out the Nutrition forum.

I was amazed at my results in the gym when I started eating right.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

astroboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) astroboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As mentioned above, if you want to go from 70kg to 90kg the issue isn't 'exercise x or exercise y' it's about your nutrition. You probably think you're eating alot - well you're not. You are going to have to eat huuge.

Spend lots of time reading the nutrition forums, and do a search on bulking.
    The journey begins - [url]http://www.fitprofile.com/profile.asp?pid=396[/url]

DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by astroboy
    As mentioned above, if you want to go from 70kg to 90kg the issue isn't 'exercise x or exercise y' it's about your nutrition. You probably think you're eating alot - well you're not. You are going to have to eat huuge.

Spend lots of time reading the nutrition forums, and do a search on bulking.
    But bulk for the sake of bulk isn't going to help with rugby. Especially if it makes you slower.

my split at the moment is
    mon chest -tri
    tues - training
    wed - shoulders traps
    thurs - training
    fri - legs, calves
    sat - back bi
    sun - rest

i no bulkin up will make me slower, thats why on tue and thurs there is lots of emphasis on sprint training, also worked out my diet and stuff its posted below. I think i got it pretty worked out researched a bit just unsure on the exercizes also not takin any protein shakes till gains with that diet slow down

Breakfast: - 2 eggs, ¼ pound of meat, fish or chicken, protein shake and a slice or two of toast.

Before work/ first break: - Yoghurt, apple and some mixed nuts (eg. Cashews and peanuts)

Lunch: - ¼ pound of meat chicken or fish, salad sandwich with cheese, carrots, etc

Afternoon break: - Mixed berries with dried fruit, banana

Post Workout: - 100g tin of tuna and protein shake

Dinner: - ½ pound of meat, fish or chicken with broccoli, potatoes, beans and spinach, rice or salad. (occasionally swap from veggies, salad or rice) try to have potato all the time. Two bits of toast.

Before bed: - Protein Shake

Try to drink at least 2 litres of water per day and 1 litre of milk

Originally Posted by mikej321
    my split at the moment is
    mon chest -tri
    tues - training
    wed - shoulders traps
    thurs - training
    fri - legs, calves
    sat - back bi
    sun - rest
    That's a bodybuilding split. It's not an athletic split. Try forum.athletes.com - guys there are pretty good.

astroboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) astroboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DavetheDog
    But bulk for the sake of bulk isn't going to help with rugby. Especially if it makes you slower.
    Dave,

I agree but he's the one saying he wants to put on 20kg. Are you saying he can put on 20kg in any reasonable amount of time without steroids and without eating lots?

Originally Posted by astroboy
    Dave,

I agree but he's the one saying he wants to put on 20kg. Are you saying he can put on 20kg in any reasonable amount of time without steroids and without eating lots?
    Sorry, just making the general point - that bulking is all very well, but that it can affect performance.

cool

kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yap. as athletes we shall not follow routine or diet plan as bbers. try weight gainer if u want.
    live strong, be strong

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mikej321
    Breakfast: - 2 eggs, ¼ pound of meat, fish or chicken, protein shake and a slice or two of toast.

Before work/ first break: - Yoghurt, apple and some mixed nuts (eg. Cashews and peanuts)

Lunch: - ¼ pound of meat chicken or fish, salad sandwich with cheese, carrots, etc

Afternoon break: - Mixed berries with dried fruit, banana

Post Workout: - 100g tin of tuna and protein shake

Dinner: - ½ pound of meat, fish or chicken with broccoli, potatoes, beans and spinach, rice or salad. (occasionally swap from veggies, salad or rice) try to have potato all the time. Two bits of toast.

Before bed: - Protein Shake

Try to drink at least 2 litres of water per day and 1 litre of milk
    This looks like a cutting diet to me. Can't be much more than 2500 calories. No way you will put on 20kg with this, even if you train hard for the next 4 years.

nithos, as i am an ectomorph and not a big eater, i need to gradually increase my diet to gain weight. Sorry if that wasnt obvious. That is my starting diet and then if i gain in three weeks keep on going with it, if i dont then i wont and will incorporate more food. Thats a lot of food and meat for a guy like me to eat in one day and need to get used to it rather than giving myself some 100kg+ bodybuilder diet and not been able to eat half the stuff

J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J-unit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you followed a routine of bench, cleans, snatches, squats and push pressing you could very liekly his 85kg or so in a year, 90 would be possible. But you need to eat ALOT more meat than that. A bodybuilding split won't make you any faster either.