Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Carbs & water retention...

Hey all!

A friend of mine asked me this question yesterday evening while we were rolerblading in the park.

I know that carbs cause water retention, but I want to know something... When you eat a very high carb diet (60-80%), is the water retention caused in the muscle cells or is it subcutaneous? Does it make your muscles look fuller or does it make you bloat up?

He wants to know because he's been eating a helluva lot more candy that he usually does over the past three days or so (but keeping his total cals under maintenance... I checked his diet), and he's getting scared that he may be fattening up. I'm telling him it might be water retention, and that I'd do some research (ie: Asking you guys! )

The guy is a lot like me in terms of BF % (I'm at 15.7%)... He may be a little higher (16.5-17%). I haven't asked lately.

Thanks!
    Colin
    I'm a lover AND a fighter.

cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Colin Gilbert
    Hey all!

A friend of mine asked me this question yesterday evening while we were rolerblading in the park.

I know that carbs cause water retention, but I want to know something... When you eat a very high carb diet (60-80%), is the water retention caused in the muscle cells or is it subcutaneous? Does it make your muscles look fuller or does it make you bloat up?

He wants to know because he's been eating a helluva lot more candy that he usually does over the past three days or so (but keeping his total cals under maintenance... I checked his diet), and he's getting scared that he may be fattening up. I'm telling him it might be water retention, and that I'd do some research (ie: Asking you guys! )

The guy is a lot like me in terms of BF % (I'm at 15.7%)... He may be a little higher (16.5-17%). I haven't asked lately.

Thanks!
    Colin

Well, even if his cals are under maintenance he could still be putting on fat... I mean come on, loading up on candy and all that sugar spikes your insulin, causing anything he does eat to probably be stored.. One vital point with dieting is to try to keep your blood sugar levels as steady as possible..

Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Colin Gilbert
    I know that carbs cause water retention
    Your premise is incorrect.

Regardless, eating a bunch of highly processed sugar is a bad idea and will have a negative impact on body composition and overall health.

Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Darn... I'll have to break the news to him. Thanks!

(Now I've gotta think of a tactful way to say it... )
    I'm a lover AND a fighter.

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A few points -

1. Sucrose = half glucose, half fructose
    2. Triglyceride synthesis increases after upwards of 50-70g of fructose is consumed
    3. Glycogen storage in man is around 14-16g/kg lean mass
    4. After glycogen stores are full, spill-over/puffy look may occur /de novo lipogenesis after prolonged excessive carbohydrate intake.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    for every gram of carbohydrate digested the body retains 2.8 grams of water...

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by troythompson
    for every gram of carbohydrate digested the body retains 2.8 grams of water...
    For every gram of glycogen, the body stores 2-4g of water along with it.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) troythompson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ^^^ im just going on the statistic that i read in my NASM textbook...

BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ^^^ im just going on the statistic that i read in my NASM textbook...

I think rockstarsar wasn't so much refuting your point as clarifying it a bit more (by replacing the generic "carbohydrate" with the more specific "glycogen".

oh... my bad!

BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    oh... my bad!

No prob. And I've read the 2.8 figure as well, and it's generally a good guideline to go by.