sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000) sFunk is a name known to all. (+5000)

The Pros and Cons of a Full-Body Workout?

Hey all,

I've been lifting pretty consistently for the past year and a half or so now and I'm continuing to make progress. I've recently started lifting with one of my new roommates and he's starting to get to me. I have been using a 3-day split and it's been working out well for me, but my roommate is a huge advocate of full-body workouts 3 days a week.

Personally, I do not like doing full-body workouts if for nothing else than they take too long. I like hitting my 50 minute workouts hard and getting out of there. With his full-body program, we've been spending upwards of 1.5 hours of lifting.

If I had it my way, I'd convince him to go back to my program (which we began with and did for 4 weeks), but it doesn't seem likely (don't hit biceps enough for him, I guess ). So I was wondering if anyone can explain to me the benefits of doing a full-body workout so that maybe I'll be able to accept his stubborn opinion. Otherwise, I'd love to hear any more negatives I can throw in his face so we can get back to my tried-and-true program!

Thanks for your time,

-Funk
    "ohhhh, ok thanks. i thought it meant PIInuTButter since this is a body building website." - GuhleeMonAhnuld

industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50) industree will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They both have their places, and in my opinion, should both be used at one point or another. Let him do it if he likes, it builds great strength and base, soon enough he will need to switch something up.
    [in-duh-stree] - energetic, devoted activity at any work or task; diligence

"The greatness of a man's power is in the measure of his surrender." -William Booth

tehIronChest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehIronChest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehIronChest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I will bend the red nail. mydamnself's Avatar
    mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The benefit of a full body workout is that you are building more functional strength so long as you're using compound movements. You're also strengthening your joints. Done properly you'll also encourage higher testosterone levels. However, this is assuming you're doing heavy compound work (i.e. deadlift, squat, overhead press, bent press). It's possible to do this on a split as well, I've just noticed people on a split tend to fill it with a lot of nonsense like leg extensions, pec flyes, etc.
    However, let him know that once you break an hour your benefits drop off dramatically and you are effectively spinning your wheels unless you are an advanced athlete. When he begins to argue repeat after me "No discussion on this topic is required, go read a book."
    RKC Instructor
    ---
    Turkish Get Up- 100 lbs.
    5 minute 32 kilo kettlebell snatch test- 68 reps.
    Pistol- 40 kg.
    20 60D nails and 10 Gr2 bolts bent in 20 minutes.
    ---
    I don't haunt this forum. If you say something and I don't reply, I'm not here. If it's important, PM me.

www.averagetoelite.com