Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

evolutionists in here, I got a Q

when it comes to the darwinian evolution theory, the bottom line is that, every species that exists today is a result of chance + selection. correct?

if so, can this chance explain the precision of size, shade, colour, length and etc. of species?

Let's start with this.

Also, I'm only 6 credits (2 courses) short of a genetic bachlor, so go as deep and scientific as you wish.
    If it gets too scientific I'll let you know
    And David said, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and may the Lord be with you." (1 Samuel 17:37)

Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David’s hand. (1 Samuel 17:50)

Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Butmonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TranceNRG
    when it comes to the darwinian evolution theory, the bottom line is that, every species that exists today is a result of chance + selection. correct?

if so, can this chance explain the precision of size, shade, colour, length and etc. of species?

Let's start with this.

Also, I'm only 6 credits (2 courses) short of a genetic bachlor, so go as deep and scientific as you wish.
    If it gets too scientific I'll let you know
    Yes.

Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mutations - random
    National Selection - Non-random, depends on the environement.

Republican..and proud! MatthewM's Avatar
    MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50) MatthewM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yep, genetic mutations cause alot of that. If its a good mutation (helps the creature breed, eat, etc.) it "sticks". If its a bad mutation...well it dies off.

-MatthewM

TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Carmack
    Mutations - random
    National Selection - Non-random, depends on the environement.
    Natural selection only occurs when a mutation randonmly has presented the favorable trait.

so it is based on chance initially.
    And David said, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and may the Lord be with you." (1 Samuel 17:37)

Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David’s hand. (1 Samuel 17:50)

concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000)

You mean as to why each of the animal species as it is today? Well, if a spider orginally has 10 legs and it never changed, how else would we suppose to know it only suppose to have 8?
    "If you immediately know the candle light is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago"

Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carmack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Natural selection only occurs when a mutation randonmly has presented the favorable trait.

Natural Selection chooses whether it is a favorable trait. There can be harmful and neutral mutations as well.

Originally Posted by MatthewM
    yep, genetic mutations cause alot of that. If its a good mutation (helps the creature breed, eat, etc.) it "sticks". If its a bad mutation...well it dies off.

-MatthewM

first, can you name a few good mutations?

second, if that is so, evolution is based on trial an error, correct?
    now, the rate of mutation is 1 * 10^-6. Let's say a random mutation causes a creature to evolve a useful "thing". if this useful thing is the only thing that was needed then random selection would occur. now, look at even the closests sister species that you know. Is there just ONE difference between the two?

if not, count all the difference and multiply them by 1 * 10^-6.

thirdly, scientists believe that we all were evolved from a single prokaryotic cell, with alot less genetic codes than us. and the only way we evolved was manily through gene duplication. If so, then why certain simpler species have higher number of DNA and genes?

Originally Posted by concept
    You mean as to why each of the animal species as it is today? Well, if a spider orginally has 10 legs and it never changed, how else would we suppose to know it only suppose to have 8?

sorry, what?!

Originally Posted by Carmack
    Natural Selection chooses whether it is a favorable trait. There can be harmful and neutral mutations as well.
    you're right, which means that the trait must already be present before selection can occur.
    and the trait becomes present by chance.

sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    first, can you name a few good mutations?

second, if that is so, evolution is based on trial an error, correct?
    now, the rate of mutation is 1 * 10^-6. Let's say a random mutation causes a creature to evolve a useful "thing". if this useful thing is the only thing that was needed then random selection would occur. now, look at even the closests sister species that you know. Is there just ONE difference between the two?

if not, count all the difference and multiply them by 1 * 10^-6.

thirdly, scientists believe that we all were evolved from a single prokaryotic cell, with alot less genetic codes than us. and the only way we evolved was manily through gene duplication. If so, then why certain simpler species have higher number of DNA and genes?

any mutation that causes an organism to have a better chance at survive and a better chance to reproduce would be a good mutation. Different types of beaks in bird species better suited to the food type in their area is the first on that I can think on.

Isn't most mutations cause by radiation (usually cosmic radiation such as gama rays)? If I am correct mutation rates could fluctuate being much higher in times when our magnetic field was much weaker (or even completely off as some think happens before it reverses).
    Cartman: "Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad. "

"Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not committing them?"
    ..........Jules Feiffer

Originally Posted by sticklegs
    any mutation that causes an organism to have a better chance at survive and a better chance to reproduce would be a good mutation. Different types of beaks in bird species better suited to the food type in their area is the first on that I can think on.
    yes, that is adaptation though. (microevolution)
    when I speak about evolution I mean macroevolution.

sorry I should've mentioned this earlier.

Isn't most mutations cause by radiation (usually cosmic radiation such as gama rays)? If I am correct mutation rates could fluctuate being much higher in times when our magnetic field was much weaker (or even completely off as some think happens before it reverses).
    radiation speeds up mutation rate and causes cancer.
    also, where would this excessive radiation be millions of years ago?

holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm pretty sure mutation just randomly occurs, it happens somewhat often I think, though many times the mutations aren't noticable because there aren't any external changes and they don't affect the way you live so you'd never know.

The idea behind us coming from one cell is that, thought it originally was the same cell, a number of mutations throughout time have caused millions of branches to extend from that cell. For instance, the one cell is sitting there, and it multiplies a million times. Say that there are 5 mutants in this multiplication, four of them die because the mutation gave them a disadvantage in nature, but one was left and it has a slightly genetic makeup than its "creator," it has now created another branch and they are now moving in slightly different directions. Now take this same process, carry it out over a few trillion years, and take into consideration the fact that there are certain niches and jobs that must be fulfilled in order to have a functioning ecosystem, and you will find why the world is as it is today.
    God's Gift to Ballroom Notoriety

sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sticklegs is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

sorry I should've mentioned this earlier.

radiation speeds up mutation rate and causes cancer.
    also, where would this excessive radiation be millions of years ago?
    The Earth's magnetic field reverses at intervals, ranging from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years. It is believed that this last occurred some 600,000 years ago . It is believed that the magnetic field, which both guards the planet from radiation, collapses during a reversal of the poles.

PS Magnetism trapped in ancient pottery shows that over the past 4,000 years, the magnetic field has weakened by more than 50%. This past century, the strength has dropped by 5%. At this rate, the field might disappear in the next few hundred or thousand years.

I don't know alot about this but IMO this is what is behind some unexplained mass extinctions and sudden rise in some species. I haven't been able to find anyone else with a published theory like this yet though
    Last edited by sticklegs; 07-02-2005 at 11:28 AM.
    Cartman: "Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad. "

"Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not committing them?"
    ..........Jules Feiffer

holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The Earth's magnetic field reverses at intervals, ranging from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years. It is believed that this last occurred some 600,000 years ago . It is believed that the magnetic field, which both guards the planet from radiation, collapses during a reversal of the poles.

PS Magnetism trapped in ancient pottery shows that over the past 4,000 years, the magnetic field has weakened by more than 50%. This past century, the strength has dropped by 5%. At this rate, the field might disappear in the next few hundred or thousand years.

I don't know alot about this but IMO this is what is behind some unexplained mass extinctions and sudden rise in some species. I haven't been able to find anyone else with a published theory like this yet though
    thats pretty interesting, where'd you hear about it?

sounds like something worth looking into
    God's Gift to Ballroom Notoriety

Originally Posted by holdie
    thats pretty interesting, where'd you hear about it?

sounds like something worth looking into
    http://geography.about.com/od/physic...a/magnetic.htm

..........Jules Feiffer

Biggest diversification occured 543 Million years ago, during cambrian geological period.

Also, as I said, radiation leads to cancer and tumors, since in most cases the radiants replaces the natural elements of the body.

bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Wait a minute. You say this:
    If it gets too scientific I'll let you know.
    And then you say this:
    *frown* My eukaryotic genetics course was entirely about this mystical magical ‘macroevolution’ you speak of. I’d like the e-mail of your professors to send them a much needed rant (evidently). Ignoring that—why don’t you ask them these questions?

Forgive me for being snippy, but I certainly hope this isn’t a ploy to get other people to do your homework for you?

And what, exactly, is an 'evolutionist?' *frown*

Originally Posted by bluesky3
    Wait a minute. You say this:

And then you say this:

*frown* My eukaryotic genetics course was entirely about this mystical magical ‘macroevolution’ you speak of. I’d like the e-mail of your professors to send them a much needed rant (evidently). Ignoring that—why don’t you ask them these questions?

Forgive me for being snippy, but I certainly hope this isn’t a ploy to get other people to do your homework for you?

And what, exactly, is an 'evolutionist?' *frown*

what?!?!

homework?!

can you explain what you just said?

bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluesky3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes.

If you are a genetics student you should be asking your professors these questions. They need to be made aware that some of their students are not understanding some of the fundamentals properly, so they can adjust their teaching accordingly.

...the trait becomes present by chance...

…yes, that is adaptation though. (microevolution)
    when I speak about evolution I mean macroevolution…

…first, can you name a few good mutations…

…now, look at even the closests sister species that you know. Is there just ONE difference between the two…

…then why certain simpler species have higher number of DNA and genes…

…can this chance explain the precision…
    I urge you to take full advantage of your professors while you still in school.

locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what?!?!

homework?!

can you explain what you just said?
    Blue is simply saying that if you were that close to a bacholer like you say then you should already know the answers to this.

True Antichrist Incarnate AntonToo's Avatar
    AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50) AntonToo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    see this is were you misunderstand determinism which underlies science. There is no such thing as chance, meaning it just a word humans use when they are unable to conduct all the measurements and calculations needed to percisely answer the question, which is then called "random"
    Occam's Blade master

..........Jules Feiffer

Originally Posted by bluesky3
    Yes.

If you are a genetics student you should be asking your professors these questions. They need to be made aware that some of their students are not understanding some of the fundamentals properly, so they can adjust their teaching accordingly.

I urge you to take full advantage of your professors while you still in school.
    haha
    I have asked as many questions as I could think of
    including these during the tutorial session.

the most common answer seems to be "we don't know the exact ways in which evolution works" or "that is also a possibility" or " you ahve a good point"

once you get deep into evolution, it's quite vague.

Originally Posted by locknid
    Blue is simply saying that if you were that close to a bacholer like you say then you should already know the answers to this.

I do know the answers.
    I don't accept them.

The answer to shape of earth question 600 years ago used to be flat

Originally Posted by AntonToo
    see this is were you misunderstand determinism which underlies science. There is no such thing as chance, meaning it just a word humans use when they are unable to conduct all the measurements and calculations needed to percisely answer the question, which is then called "random"
    no such thing such as chance?
    hmm... tell that to an evolution professor or a scholar.
    what is random mutation then?

I do agree with you trhat there's no chance, but i believe that is because there's a creator which is controlling the action/reaction of all things.

not in most of the world

..........Jules Feiffer

haha
    I have asked as many questions as I could think of
    including these during the tutorial session.

the most common answer seems to be "we don't know the exact ways in which evolution works" or "that is also a possibility" or " you ahve a good point"

once you get deep into evolution, it's quite vague.
    *blink*
    Well now I'm horrified.
    I'll try to help you out, man, but you have been done a great disservice, educationally. I would be outraged. I'll try to get a PM off to you in a few days (eh its near a holiday here in the U.S.)
    **wanders off, baffled**

locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) locknid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do know the answers.
    I don't accept them.

May I ask why you are taking genetics and classes about evolution if you don't accept the things you are learning.

2. life changed ‘by chance.’
    Chance is certainly a factor in evolution, but there are also non-random evolutionary mechanisms. Random mutation is the ultimate source of genetic variation, however natural selection, the process by which some variants survive and others do not, is not random.
    look at this way, if there was no random mutation there would be no natural selection, so the root of this mechanism IS chance and randomness.

Individuals that survive and reproduce better in their environment will have more offspring (displaying the same traits) in the next generation. That's non-random selection. To say that evolution happens “by chance” ignores half of the picture.
    by those species that do reproduced better, do so due to some random mutation, which was LATER chosen by natural selection.

stick... I agree with the rest