Risen from the grave! Dead Gibblets's Avatar
    Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Don't know what to do about my cardio

I've been doing HIIT for several weeks now for my cut, along with carb cycling. I've lost 12 pounds in 2 months, and strength and muscle has stayed the same. However, I think I've stalled, and I can't stand more than 8 min of HIIT, so I was thinking of switching things up and doing some low intensity cardio instead.

I've read alot of debate on this, but I'm sure I'll enjoy low intensity cardio better. I just don't know how/when to do it. I definitely want to stay away from anything done in a fasted state, so mornings on an empty stomach is out of the question.

I was thinking of doing some very slow jogging or even walking for 30-45 minutes, 2-3 times per week, instead of doing HIIT. I have the time to do it, and love the idea of listening to some music while going on a nice, long jog. I know HIIT relies on its afterburn affect, so obviously to burn the same amount of calories would require longer sessions if done at a lower intensity.

Just curious though: Can low intensity cardio be done on No Carb days? Also, have any of you had good experiences with walking/jogging for 30-45 minutes maybe after breakfast or even at night, 4-5 hours before bed?
    They banned me for telling the truth.

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dead Gibblets
    I've been doing HIIT for several weeks now for my cut, along with carb cycling. I've lost 12 pounds in 2 months, and strength and muscle has stayed the same. However, I think I've stalled, and I can't stand more than 8 min of HIIT, so I was thinking of switching things up and doing some low intensity cardio instead.

I've read alot of debate on this, but I'm sure I'll enjoy low intensity cardio better. I just don't know how/when to do it. I definitely want to stay away from anything done in a fasted state, so mornings on an empty stomach is out of the question.

I was thinking of doing some very slow jogging or even walking for 30-45 minutes, 2-3 times per week, instead of doing HIIT. I have the time to do it, and love the idea of listening to some music while going on a nice, long jog. I know HIIT relies on its afterburn affect, so obviously to burn the same amount of calories would require longer sessions if done at a lower intensity.

Just curious though: Can low intensity cardio be done on No Carb days? Also, have any of you had good experiences with walking/jogging for 30-45 minutes maybe after breakfast or even at night, 4-5 hours before bed?
    I don't know how anyone can do cardio directly after eating. I feel too sluggish.

As for walking, don't do that ****. Seriously, at least keep a jog....walking is for 500 pound people who can't run.

Honestly, I don't know how you stalled on HIIT. That **** is the bomb. Have you tried mixing up the HIIT?

What I find works well for me is going from stair charges at the local stadium to a jog over to the track and then doing interval runs. I then take a 1 minute break and go back to stair charges and repeat. Something I'll throw a hill charge in, maybe run backwards for a bit to hit the calves, you know...mix the **** up to keep the body from getting used to it. HIIT is one of those things you can't just do....you have to be motivated or it sucks and you don't get **** out of it.

Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dead Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess when I said things have stalled, I meant to say things have slowed down. Easy, quick fat loss has become slow fat loss, and I'm getting a bit anxious, and want to get things going at a faster pace again.

Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biff_McFresh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Perhaps cardio more than 2-3 times a week might help get you over the hump? I guess it depends what you have time for though.

Don't be weak.

"I like swiss cheese. It's the only cheese you can draw with a pencil and identify. You can draw American cheese, but someone will think it's cheddar. Swiss cheese is the only cheese you can bite and miss. "Hey Mitch - does that sandwich have cheese on it?" "Every now and then!" I got some swiss air on that bite." -Mitch Hedberg

TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i hit the same wall you did a few weeks back. i had lost about 10 pounds or so already when it happened. what i did was just mix my cardio up like crazy. basically, i did what i felt like doing that day whether it was HIIT, eliptical bike or treadmill at either low intensity for a long time or a very high intensity for a short time. just mix it up as much as possible, but i was sure to hit the eliptical twice a week for 20-30 minutes medium paced. give it a shot, i lost another 9 pounds after hitting that wall of the same weight for a few weeks.

lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My philosophy…if you enjoy something more it’s probably not the best option…this is true with almost everything in life, food, sleep, work, school, tv, cardio. I’d rather sit then walk, walk then jog, jog then run, run then do HIIT. I would wager that your plateau would stop if you worked on continual progression in your HIIT. Do it on the elliptical and go to a resistance low enough where you can go for 16 cycles 30second sprints 30 (or maybe start with 15-45 and work up to 30-30) rest. Or work up to doing 16. Then each time try and run a little faster. Once you get to that point you can run your sprints at 12+ mph go up to the next level and so forth. Don’t say you can’t stand doing it for 8 minutes. Common you gota change your outlook, try muttering “pain is weakness leaving the body” when your wanting to quit. Make a good cardio playlist or cd of music that gets you pumped up. In my experience you have to go harder when you hit a plateau…not stop what’s working for an easier/more appealing option. It seems that the people that get the most benefit from low intensity cardio are the people with a lot of LBM to back them up. Very large guys see a lot of results with it. If this describes you maybe try it and see how it goes. Stick with HIIT IMO.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice THAT we fail to notice there is little we can do to change until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.

The Beginners Guide to FAT loss / LQ Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=827373

Talking

Sorry for being a pussy. I'll stick with HIIT. Thanks guys.

vcdking24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Here is what I do, and I have had great success doing it.

mon., tues., wed., thurs., fri.
    45 minutes low intensity cardio on my stationary bike at 65-75%

Sat., Sun.
    21 minute HIIT sessions on my stationary bike. here is how its broken down:

3 minute warmup at 65%
    1 minute at 100%
    1 minute 50%
    45 seconds 100%
    1 minute 50%
    30 seconds 100%
    1 minute 50%
    then repeat the cylce until 21 minutes is up..do a cool down afterwards if you want, but I dont bother with it...by then im too tired to do a cooldown.
    5/1/2005=177lbs 16.5% BF
    6/9/2005=174 lbs 15.3% BF
    6/29/2005=170 lbs 14.6% BF
    8/11/2005=166 lbs 12.7% BF

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Dead Gibblets
    Sorry for being a pussy. I'll stick with HIIT. Thanks guys.
    Just add the low impact cardio in on top of this, if you wish.

A brisk 45 minute walk is fine on a No Carb day.

jamagin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by US_Ranger
    I don't know how anyone can do cardio directly after eating. I feel too sluggish.

As for walking, don't do that ****. Seriously, at least keep a jog....walking is for 500 pound people who can't run.

Honestly, I don't know how you stalled on HIIT. That **** is the bomb. Have you tried mixing up the HIIT?

What I find works well for me is going from stair charges at the local stadium to a jog over to the track and then doing interval runs. I then take a 1 minute break and go back to stair charges and repeat. Something I'll throw a hill charge in, maybe run backwards for a bit to hit the calves, you know...mix the **** up to keep the body from getting used to it. HIIT is one of those things you can't just do....you have to be motivated or it sucks and you don't get **** out of it.
    So, you jog for 1 minute, and then run for 1 minute. Repeat this for 10-15 minutes? Sounds like it works realy well!

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jamagin
    So, you jog for 1 minute, and then run for 1 minute. Repeat this for 10-15 minutes? Sounds like it works realy well!
    I mix it up a lot.

Just today, I went out at the hottest part of the day because I love the feeling you get when you're about to pass out and puke at the same time because it's so damn hot out....

Anyway, I did 3 sets of stair charges with taking a 1-1:30 break inbetween each set to pour water on myself and take some sips, catch my breath etc.

Then I jogged to the track which wasn't far away and did intervals. On these intervals I sprint 100 yards, jog 100 (around the turn) and then sprint 100 again (straightaway). I continue to do this until it hurts too much to continue but that can vary on different days. When I sprint I pour everything into it. I take good strides so I don't run slow and just give it everything I have.

It works really well, try it sometime.

40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lifequest
    My philosophy…if you enjoy something more it’s probably not the best option…this is true with almost everything in life, food, sleep, work, school, tv, cardio. I’d rather sit then walk, walk then jog, jog then run, run then do HIIT. I would wager that your plateau would stop if you worked on continual progression in your HIIT. Do it on the elliptical and go to a resistance low enough where you can go for 16 cycles 30second sprints 30 (or maybe start with 15-45 and work up to 30-30) rest. Or work up to doing 16. Then each time try and run a little faster. Once you get to that point you can run your sprints at 12+ mph go up to the next level and so forth. Don’t say you can’t stand doing it for 8 minutes. Common you gota change your outlook, try muttering “pain is weakness leaving the body” when your wanting to quit. Make a good cardio playlist or cd of music that gets you pumped up. In my experience you have to go harder when you hit a plateau…not stop what’s working for an easier/more appealing option. It seems that the people that get the most benefit from low intensity cardio are the people with a lot of LBM to back them up. Very large guys see a lot of results with it. If this describes you maybe try it and see how it goes. Stick with HIIT IMO.
    Great advice. I agree with everything you said.