paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

interaction between saw palmetto and testosterone

Im sure im in the right forum to ask a Saw Palmetto question.

Here it is.. Im wondering how many of you are taking both saw palmetto, and any testosterone boosting product of any kind.

What im confused about is that I just learned that the way saw palmetto works is to interfere with the binding of the dht to androgen receptors in the body. Well, if thats true, wouldnt it hinder the body's use of testosterone? And if thats true, then how come so many pro hormone and other test related products suggest stacking it with saw palmetto? Im beginning to think Id better stop taking my saw palmetto immediately. I mean, the last thing I want to do is to hinder my body's use of test.

Is there anything to this?
    Paul E

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Saw palmetto is selective to the androgen receptors of the prostate.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paul e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Minotaur
    Saw palmetto is selective to the androgen receptors of the prostate.

Ah... BINGO! This is just the answer I was looking for.. Someone on another board was searching for another herb to take for bph.. he was asking if ginger worked for that purpose. I asked why, and he told me about the test/saw palmetto connection, and I freaked. How could so many bbs be taking saw palmetto, if it interfered with our use of test.. It just didnt make sense to me, although I didnt know why.. Then I did some research and found that Saw Palmetto did indeed interfere with the conversion to dht, plus the binding to androgen receptors.. A few of those articles qualified it a bit further by saying, like you did, '... in prostate tissue'. But most didnt; most just blankly referred to androgen receptors and let it go at that.. Further Patrick Arnold in an article at http://www.qfac.com/articles/andro6.html said:

"3) Saw Palmetto is an herb with protective effects on the prostate. These protective effects are thought to be mediated through an inhibition of the conversion of testosterone to the potent androgen DHT. DHT is certainly a causative factor in androgen related dysfunctions such as prostate hypertrophy and hair loss. However, it is also the active androgen in the central nervous system and therefore, may be vital to the strength and aggressiveness effects of testosterone. Some research also indicates Saw Palmetto may have direct antagonistic effects on the androgen receptor. In other words, it may block testosterone from binding to the androgen receptor and expressing its anabolic and ergogenic effects.With these facts in mind, it makes sense that unless you think you have a real need (i.e. you have hair loss or prostate problems) for an anti-androgenic agent you would be wise to avoid Saw Palmetto. That way you can be sure that you receive androstenedione’s maximum benefits. Unfortunately, a product such as Andro-6 does not leave you this option. "

As you can see from this, its a bit disconcerting. And your reaction is, 'Why havent I been told this before... ', and 'why are prohormone makers telling us to use saw palmetto in their stack'?

Well, I just hope youre right. This could really shake things up it it werent limited to just those receptors in the prostate.

I thank you for your response. I wish we could hear from some more people out there...
    Last edited by paul e; 06-27-2005 at 06:32 AM.
    Paul E