Application has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Abdominals cramping during situps

When I do sit ups I get to about 30ish and my stomach starts to cramp up. When I stop and let the cramping subside my abs start to twitch. The twitching is not painful and is just like those random twitches you would get in your leg or arm. I have tried to power through the cramps but within 5-10 more sit ups my whole stomach is cramped to the point where I'm stuck in sort of a half way sit up position. I drink a gallonish of water a day, I eat pretty decent, Take Animal Pak and do the rest of my workouts (bench, dead, squat, etc.) with out any cramping at all.

Any ideas?

stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stepup.stepout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you need more potassium. Eat more bananas. When you are getting those random twitching it means you have a potassium defiency.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    About 99% of muscle cramps have to do with a magnesium defficiency. Magnesium stabilizes the muscle cell membrane; thus a defficiency causes the membrane to be hyperpolarize and contract (cramp) when it shouldn't.

Supplement with a form of magnesium ending in "ate" like citrate or malate.
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Application has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I went to the store and got some magnesium malate. I took it 30 mins before my work out and no cramps. +rep for you.

Registered User Fitnessmaster68's Avatar
    Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

yo

Originally Posted by Application View Post
    When I do sit ups I get to about 30ish and my stomach starts to cramp up. When I stop and let the cramping subside my abs start to twitch. The twitching is not painful and is just like those random twitches you would get in your leg or arm. I have tried to power through the cramps but within 5-10 more sit ups my whole stomach is cramped to the point where I'm stuck in sort of a half way sit up position. I drink a gallonish of water a day, I eat pretty decent, Take Animal Pak and do the rest of my workouts (bench, dead, squat, etc.) with out any cramping at all.

Any ideas?
    I've been having the same thing lately.Sometimes after doing abs if I bend down to tie my shoes or something my abs will clench up like a charliehorse.Sometimes I get it without doing abs,I did some SL deadlifts today and had it when I bent down.
    "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do."

ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Last edited by ClevageGobbler; 04-09-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered User Fitnessmaster68's Avatar
    Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fitnessmaster68 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

yo

Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    About 99% of muscle cramps have to do with a magnesium defficiency. Magnesium stabilizes the muscle cell membrane; thus a defficiency causes the membrane to be hyperpolarize and contract (cramp) when it shouldn't.

Thanks for the tip.I dont think I was getting enough magnesium so I'm adding black beans to my diet.They are also high in tryptophan.
    "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do."

exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000) exy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post

I always though it was potassium that I lacked when I cramp up, I was however wrong.

What about pickle juice? The coaches at my school force it down the skilled players' throats during every game.
    benis in ur angus

CelMolina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I do sit up my intestines contract or cramps. Its not my abdominal muscle that cramps it is my intestines. I dont do much sit ups as it will immediately cramp up once I do even just 8-10 sit ups. I also have a lot of fats in my stomach area...is this why? or do I have any minerals deficiency? Any advise?
    Also, I've been just doing abdominal work out standing up...it doesnt cramp up at all when I do it standing up ...only when I do sit up from the floor then my intestines cramps up...just weird....
    I find more effective result when I do sit ups from the floor...rather than standing up....any suggestions?