AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnotherPerson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Using bodyweight to get big - no weights?

Hi all,

The gyms nearby have no weights, barbells etc, and honestly I wouldn't want to go even if they did. I wanted to try out something that I think would be quite an interesting way of bulking up, but i'd like to get your opinions on whether it would work.

Right now I stand at 6 ft and 9 and a half stone, quite a pitiful weight for my height. I was previously even less than this, and i've managed to gain a lot by strictly adhering to eating 3,500 calories a day. But as far as i'm concerned, I see this as an opportunity. I have many stones worth of bulking up, which could end with impressive results at the end. I have a lot of time to work on my body while I gain weight.

So I was thinking.. What about trying to build a body just with bodyweight resistance exercises, like in the Charles Atlas course? (or even following that exact course) Pushups for the chest, triceps and forearms, gradually putting weight on the back. Deep knee bends even without a weight are quite straining after a while, for the legs. Calf raises on the stairs, etc

I could post before and after pictures too, which could be quite interesting.. Just curious as to what everyone thinks of this, and whether it would work. Thanks.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Could work, except you will very soon need more resistance. The problem with body weight only exercise in terms of gaining muscle, is the exact muscle fiber's being recruited for the movement. For maximal muscle gains, you want to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible, and then fatigue them, as often as recovery allows. Once you get strong enough, most body weight exercises will not recruit your fast twitch fibers, as there simply isn't enough resistance. And fast twitch fibers carry the most hypertrophy potential. Now, that CAN change, if you find a way to provide more load for each exercise you plan on doing. Weighted pushups, weighted pullups, weighted supine rows, weighted dips, handstand pushups and the like for upper body(get a set of rings, and these will become even more effective). For lower body, body weight alone, especially given what you weigh, is just plain not enough to develop much muscle around your legs, hips, and lower back.

The thing you could try if lifting in a gym isn't your thing, is various forms of strongman/GPP type activities. THOSE can provide plenty of resistance, and usually result in a much more functional adaptation. They also should result in some decent muscular gains as long as diet is in place. That can be stuff like sled dragging, barbell complexes, sandbag work, kettlebells, thrusters, burpees, farmers walks, tire flips... stuff like that.
    Last edited by VikingMan; 10-18-2007 at 03:04 PM.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.