nyc76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Opinions on Muscle Fitness New Years Program

Hey guys Im new to these boards but came here to ask about an unrelated issue and dvness helped me out great so I thought Id ask about this new program Im trying.

Muscle Fitness magazine had an article about a training program that claims will make you ripped in 12 weeks. Here is how it goes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weeks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11

Day 1 Shoulders/Traps/Abs

These you do 5 sets of 6,6,10,10,12 reps: Overhead bb press, Leaning lateral raises, upright row, bent over lateral raise, barbell shrug

These you do sets of 3 at 10, 10, 20: weight crunch, air bike crossover crunch

Day 2 Biceps/Triceps

5 sets of 6, 6, 10, 10, 12: lying db tri extension, tri pulldown, overhead db extension, bb curl, incline, db curl, preacher curl

Day 3 Quads/hamstrings/Calves

5 sets of 6, 6, 10, 10, 12: squat, leg press, leg extension, lunge, romanian dead lift, lying leg curl

2 of 12: standing calf raise, seated calf raise

Day 4 REST

Day 5 Chest/Abs

5 of 6,6,10,10,12: bench, incline bench, decline bench, weighted dip, kneeling crossover cable

3 of 10, 10, 20: weighted crunch, reverse crunch

Day 6 Back

5 of 6, 6, 10, 10, 12: deadlift, bb row, tbar row, seated cable row, wide grip lat pulldown

Day 7 REST

Weeks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

Day 1 Shoulders/Traps/Abs

5 sets of 10, 10, 15, 15, 20: overhead db press, cable lateral raise, db upright row, reverse pecdeck flye, behind the back smith machine shrug

3 of 20, 20 ,30: weighted crunch, reverse crunch

Day 2 Biceps/Triceps

5 of 10, 10, 15, 15, 20: tri pressdown, bench dip, seated overhead cable extension, standing db curl, incline db curl, lying cable curl

Day 3 Quads/Hamstrings/Calves

5 of 10, 10, 15, 15, 20: Squat, Hack squat, sissy squat, db step up, romanian deadlift, seated leg curl

2 of 20: standing calf raise, seated calf raise

Day 4 REST

Day 5 Chest

5 of 10, 10, 15, 15, 20: incline db press, db bench press, db flye, db pullover, kneeling cable crossover

Day 6 Back

5 of 10, 10, 15, 15, 20: db deadlift, 1arm db row, seated row, straight arm lat pulldown

5 sets of "to failure": pull up

Day 7 REST

CARDIO

Weeks 1, 3, 5: 45 min intensity of 5 pe: exercise bike 4x/week
    Weeks 2, 4, 6: 20 min intensity of 9/2 pe: exercise bike 4x/week
    Weeks 7, 9, 11: 60 min intensity 5 pe: exercise bike 5x/week
    Weeks 8, 10, 12: 30 min intensity 9/2 pe: exercise bike 5x/week

-------------------------------------------------------------

I just started this so I am on week one. Ive worked out before on and off...in college I did and from may-july I worked out 4x a week but didnt get the ripped action I was looking for. So i wanted to get back into working out since I stopped in August (vacation). So I decided to try a different routine for the first time since college.

So far the burn and pump I have gotten has been outstanding. Ive never gotten such a burn and had my muscles pumped like theve been. But I do have a couple of questions:

1). Cardio - I havent done any of the cardio because Im afraid my muscles will shrink. Id like to get ripped but I dont want to get skinny in the process if you get my drift. My body type is 6 ft 182...Im not fat but I have like a thin layer of soft tissue over my body. Like you can see what could be a six pack if that layer would get off. Will the cardio combined with the program listed here make me ripped or is the shrinking muscle thing a myth?

2). Legs - as I mentioned yesterday was the day to do legs. I did the squat first. After my squats my legs were like jelly were I couldnt do the lunges or deadlift because my legs would give out. Could this be due to me not doing a squat in over 5 years and its first day weakness or should I do my squats at the end?

3). Overall program - Based on the way the program is set up with the sets and reps (usually ive stuck to 4 sets 8-10 reps..it was ok but never got me ripped) is it realistic to beleive if I stick to it and diet correctly (something I have a pretty good handle of) that it should make me ripped and make me look bigger which is what I want? Or like the guy in that movie American Beauty says "I just want to look good naked." Is this a good program?

Oh for supplements Im taking green tea extract, chromium, and am eating mostly protein with veggies at night and protein bars as snacks. I'm going to add L Carnitine once I get a chance.

So what do you guys think?

I appreciate your help.

TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nyc76 View Post
    1). Cardio - I havent done any of the cardio because Im afraid my muscles will shrink. Id like to get ripped but I dont want to get skinny in the process if you get my drift. My body type is 6 ft 182...Im not fat but I have like a thin layer of soft tissue over my body. Like you can see what could be a six pack if that layer would get off. Will the cardio combined with the program listed here make me ripped or is the shrinking muscle thing a myth?
    As long as you don't do a lot of high intensity cardio, you should be okay.

2). Legs - as I mentioned yesterday was the day to do legs. I did the squat first. After my squats my legs were like jelly were I couldnt do the lunges or deadlift because my legs would give out. Could this be due to me not doing a squat in over 5 years and its first day weakness or should I do my squats at the end?
    Could just be first day weaknesses, but lower the weight and work your way up. Putting as much weight as you possibly can on the bar isn't the point of the program.

3). Overall program - Based on the way the program is set up with the sets and reps (usually ive stuck to 4 sets 8-10 reps..it was ok but never got me ripped) is it realistic to beleive if I stick to it and diet correctly (something I have a pretty good handle of) that it should make me ripped and make me look bigger which is what I want? Or like the guy in that movie American Beauty says "I just want to look good naked." Is this a good program?
    Have to try it and see. Are you keeping a journal here?

Originally Posted by TheStender View Post
    As long as you don't do a lot of high intensity cardio, you should be okay.
    What is considered high intensity cardio? The program lists this for the cardio:

Could just be first day weaknesses, but lower the weight and work your way up. Putting as much weight as you possibly can on the bar isn't the point of the program.
    No I wasnt trying to lift weight I cant lift. What I do is use the amount of weight that would make the last rep difficult.

Have to try it and see. Are you keeping a journal here?
    No I didnt know about it...I guess since I just started I can start one.

I guess what I wanted to ask is is the variation in reps that they have laid out here is that conducive to good results?

TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheStender has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nyc76 View Post
    What is considered high intensity cardio? The program lists this for the cardio:

Looks like they've thought it out.

No I wasnt trying to lift weight I cant lift. What I do is use the amount of weight that would make the last rep difficult.
    Then keep at it. Probably just 1st day soreness, might keep up for a while though until you get used to it.

No I didnt know about it...I guess since I just started I can start one.
    The journal would mainly be for yourself, so you know where you've been. I just suggested posting it here to let others know if the program works, or doesn't work.

I guess what I wanted to ask is is the variation in reps that they have laid out here is that conducive to good results?
    I'm not really an expert on reps. I know a lot of people on here really don't like M&F, so who knows. Give it a go and see if it works for you.

Looks like they've thought it out.
    Alright cool...btw how important is cardio in order to get ripped? I mean is it really vital to getting to that ripped stage?

kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Routine looks fine, if you want to drop bodyfat I wouldn't go crazy with the cardio... its mostly diet so focus on that

Originally Posted by d_k View Post
    Routine looks fine, if you want to drop bodyfat I wouldn't go crazy with the cardio... its mostly diet so focus on that
    Well if thats the case then what I usually eat is the following:

AM
    couple of eggs/ couple of slices of turkey bacon

mid am
    protein bar (Detour whey protein energy bar Fat 5g, carb 17, protein 15)

Noon
    usually a salad of somekind: chicken, turkey

mid afternoon
    another protein bar

evening
    either chicken/fish/meat with veggies

later evening can of tuna or salmon mixed up with some mixed veggies....or maybe a couple of more eggs.

Hows this looking?

Any opinions on my eating habits?