Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Double Barbell Shoulder Press

One of my favorite "every now and then" moves for the shoulders is an overhead press done with a barbell in each hand.

To do this exercise, you need to set the pins in the power rack so that they are just below shoulder level. Place (2) olympic bars across the pins and then get between them so that you are facing the side of the power rack, rather than the front.

You will have to experiment with your grip to find just the right spot to have the barbells level-this is very important. Use one hand at a time to test which spot works best. Grip the bars so that they are resting on your shoulders parallel to one another. In the starting position, the bars are resting on the pins and your legs are slightly bent. Stand up with the bars across the shoulders and give the bars a chance to level off.

Press the bars overhead to a locked out position-The reason this is an effective movement is that you must do it slowly and with a great deal of control. If you try to "power" the weight up, you will quickly find the bars whipping up and down and out of control. This will force you to do the press slowly, which is perfect for deltoid tension and stimulation. The length of the bars and the nature of this exercise will also have a positive effect on the stabliziers of your torso.

Start with the bar-believe me a 45lb bar will feel a lot heavier than a 45lb dumbell. Work on slowly adding reps in a smooth, "near perfect" fashion. The legendary Tommy Kono ( and if you dont know who Mr. Kono is, you should) was able to press 135lbs for one rep in each hand at a bodyweight of 175lbs. I was able to duplicate Mr. Kono's feat last summer, but then I found he that he did it without any ANY COLLARS---back to the drawing board. but this is not a power move, its a muscle stimulation move-and it will draw the confused stares of your fellow gym members, which makes it a perfect exercise to perform.

Keith Wassung

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Keith Wassung
    One of my favorite "every now and then" moves for the shoulders is an overhead press done with a barbell in each hand.

To do this exercise, you need to set the pins in the power rack so that they are just below shoulder level. Place (2) olympic bars across the pins and then get between them so that you are facing the side of the power rack, rather than the front.

You will have to experiment with your grip to find just the right spot to have the barbells level-this is very important. Use one hand at a time to test which spot works best. Grip the bars so that they are resting on your shoulders parallel to one another. In the starting position, the bars are resting on the pins and your legs are slightly bent. Stand up with the bars across the shoulders and give the bars a chance to level off.

Press the bars overhead to a locked out position-The reason this is an effective movement is that you must do it slowly and with a great deal of control. If you try to "power" the weight up, you will quickly find the bars whipping up and down and out of control. This will force you to do the press slowly, which is perfect for deltoid tension and stimulation. The length of the bars and the nature of this exercise will also have a positive effect on the stabliziers of your torso.

Start with the bar-believe me a 45lb bar will feel a lot heavier than a 45lb dumbell. Work on slowly adding reps in a smooth, "near perfect" fashion. The legendary Tommy Kono ( and if you dont know who Mr. Kono is, you should) was able to press 135lbs for one rep in each hand at a bodyweight of 175lbs. I was able to duplicate Mr. Kono's feat last summer, but then I found he that he did it without any ANY COLLARS---back to the drawing board. but this is not a power move, its a muscle stimulation move-and it will draw the confused stares of your fellow gym members, which makes it a perfect exercise to perform.

Keith Wassung
    Very good post as ALWAYS Keith. I do these as well. Though they are a bitch to set up. I also do hammer grip barbell presses as well which have much the same effect as this exercise on my shoulders. I used to do double barbell shrugs as well. Another VERY effective exercise.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 06-23-2005 at 02:49 PM.

t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50) t_dats will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Very good post as ALWAYS Keith. I do these as well. Though they are a bitch to set up. I also do hammer grip barbell raises as well which have much the same effect as this exercise on my shoulders. I used to do double barbell shrugs as well. Another VERY effective exercise.
    hmmmm very interesting, do you have pictures or maybe even a vid?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by t_dats
    hmmmm very interesting, do you have pictures or maybe even a vid?
    Nah, not right now. And I just got a new digital camera and tried to post some pics this morning. But I got the message that my jpegs are 1800*1200, but bb.com only accepts jpegs no bigger than 1000*1200.

TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Diamond Delts:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Download ImageResizer.exe

Image Resizer

This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So basically you're saying you press two barbells at the same time? Damn, the balance on that must be hard as a mofo lol. I guess trying it alternating is a good way to start off. I'll have to try this sometime..

And DD...you can also upload the pics to www.paintedover.com

You don't have to sign up or anything, it's very quick and easy to upload a pic
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow! without collars!! Unfortunately i have no rack to try this with, unless i can somehow manage to clean two bars up....
    Less food means less weight. More weight on bar means get stronger. Guy farts while squatting means great laughter. -Dan John-

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TrainSmarter
    Diamond Delts:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Download ImageResizer.exe

Image Resizer

This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.
    Thanks.

rayk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rayk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

Great thread. This is the best thing about this site, picking up new exercises! That would work the shoulder in so many positive ways eg, muscle growth, joint stability, etc
    BA Sport Science, Lvl 2 Strength and Conditioning

Thumbs up

Hey Keith,

I also do a new thing now with my power rack. I place two 5 ft barbells at the top and do hammer grip pullups. I can vary the width and they are suprisingly stable. Great exercise. I really LOVE my power rack.

Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have turned my power rack into my own life-sized Tinker Toy/Erector Set/Lego Block device. I have the basic unit with cables, but over the years I go to the hardware store and buy all kinds of rods, pipes, fittings, pvc, nuts, bolts, clamps and have attached them to the rack. About 3 months ago, I bought a set of 3 HUSKY HANG-ALLS for about 8.00. They are heavy duty velcro strips with a strong C Carbiner on the end. I use them for all kinds of cable work, safety devices, sled pulling, I can also attach them to my upper arms and do back work, lateral raises, etc. They are strong as heck, and totally adjustable.

Smile

I have turned my power rack into my own life-sized Tinker Toy/Erector Set/Lego Block device. I have the basic unit with cables, but over the years I go to the hardware store and buy all kinds of rods, pipes, fittings, pvc, nuts, bolts, clamps and have attached them to the rack. About 3 months ago, I bought a set of 3 HUSKY HANG-ALLS for about 8.00. They are heavy duty velcro strips with a strong C Carbiner on the end. I use them for all kinds of cable work, safety devices, sled pulling, I can also attach them to my upper arms and do back work, lateral raises, etc. They are strong as heck, and totally adjustable.
    I hear ya. I have been visiting my local home depot as of late, trying to think of some altercations I can make to mine.

Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^^^
    haha i know what you mean. i'm constantly going to home depot and picking up new ****. heres some unorthodox stuff that i have done in the past (and still do on occasion):

Supporting Grip: Add a layer of duct tape to the handle of each dumbell every workout. The added thickness is so slight that you wont notice it until a month later, when your doing shrugs with a 2'' dumbell.

Shrugs with 2 barbells: basically what DD said, a barbell in each hand. no collars either. i do them with moderate weight to work for stability.

Alternating dumbell bench press: works the core more, not to mention the tons of extra benefits.

Sit ups While throwing punches in mid range: Rocky does em...nuff said

Skullcrushers using the tricep bar: Really helps to keep the elbows in

Resistance band curls, pushdowns, and face pulls : i like the pump i get off these, and its nice to finish a wokrout off with some RB work

Kettlebell swings: good for explosive power, as well as mass in the traps, front delts, hammies quads and glutes

Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Just_Shruggin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Oh, and i forgot to add:

Kneeling barbell curls
    Military press with hammer grip using tricep bar
    Split Squats
    Bulgarian Split Squats
    50 rep squat sets

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Just_Shruggin
    Oh, and i forgot to add:

Kneeling barbell curls
    Military press with hammer grip using tricep bar
    Split Squats
    Bulgarian Split Squats
    50 rep squat sets
    I must say I am impressed J.S.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^^^
    Supporting Grip: Add a layer of duct tape to the handle of each dumbell every workout. The added thickness is so slight that you wont notice it until a month later, when your doing shrugs with a 2'' dumbell.
    i do that with my curl bar at home. i use athletic tape and have gone through a few rolls. the bar is thick as hell now

thanks DD
    Last edited by Just_Shruggin; 07-10-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    i do that with my curl bar at home. i use athletic tape and have gone through a few rolls. the bar is thick as hell now
    o yeah man, it definitely works. i bought some extra barbells and dumbells to use just for that. its especially effective for the big time lifts such as pull ups and deadlfits. although i really only use it for curls, shrugs and static holds (not enough room for farmer walks)

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    o yeah man, it definitely works. i bought some extra barbells and dumbells to use just for that. its especially effective for the big time lifts such as pull ups and deadlfits. although i really only use it for curls, shrugs and static holds (not enough room for farmer walks)

yeah.... why dont you take them outside for the farmers walks?

****. My chinup bar on my power rack could definately use some more thickness. I think I will use some athletic tape on it. Been thinking about doing that for a while. I think Academy sells some athletic tape there.

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    ****. My chinup bar on my power rack could definately use some more thickness. I think I will use some athletic tape on it. Been thinking about doing that for a while. I think Academy sells some athletic tape there.
    get ALOT! especially if you're gonna wrap the entire length of the bar

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    but........why.

there ain't nothing some good old fashioned clean+pressing can't do
    <->

oops, i actually forgot one exercise which i feel is pretty good. i dont know if anyone else does these. Hammer Grip Barbell Rows.
    For these, i load a tricep bar up, and then perform regular bentover rows with it. The hammer grip feels very unique, and u can usually use more weight with it. Try em sometime.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    but........why
    Fun. You may have heard of it

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    Fun. You may have heard of it
    <->

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Keith Wassung

That is some SERIOUS old school stuff.

Do these other things mean any thing to you?

Juggling Indian Clubs
    Kettle bells
    Doing punching motions on wall cable apparatus
    "Free weight" leg pressing (balancing weight on heels)
    Handlebar mustaches?

Just so you know, I love it. I know you "rue the day" that the Mr. America dropped the O lifting requirement...

Did you read "The West Coast Bodybuilding Scene"? If not, you will enjoy it.

I also like to use my waist reducing machine, It looks like a giant blender with a belt attached to it. You stand inside of it and the belt vibrates and it helps to melt fat from around your waist. Everyone home gym should have one.

Thumbs up

oops, i actually forgot one exercise which i feel is pretty good. i dont know if anyone else does these. Hammer Grip Barbell Rows.
    For these, i load a tricep bar up, and then perform regular bentover rows with it. The hammer grip feels very unique, and u can usually use more weight with it. Try em sometime.
    I do them. Great exercise.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I also like to use my waist reducing machine, It looks like a giant blender with a belt attached to it. You stand inside of it and the belt vibrates and it helps to melt fat from around your waist. Everyone home gym should have one.
    SERIOUS LOL!! I was going to mention that, but the description was out of the boundries of the other items mentioned.

As I sit here I have books by:

George Kirkley, "Weight Lifting and Weight Training"

David Manners, "Here's Power for You"

The ORIGINAL Hardcore Bodybuilding (Bob Kennedy, who I worship)

The ORIGINAL Beef-it (Ditto)

I've said it a couple of times but I want to say it again. I think "they" will prove that spot reduction is possible to some extent. I wonder if those machines will make a comeback?

David Manners book was one of the first books on bb that I ever read. I would love to get my hands on a copy.

I just had a conversation with Robert K. last week.