Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Squats: Form and Quad Isolation

I have found that I am able to take on much more weight and go deeper when taking a wider stance in my squat while using my abs, hips, etc, to perform the lift.

While I feel this is giving me a great lower body workout, I'm wondering if I compromise on quad development by using this form.

My quads are always more sore afterwards when I take a closer stance (6 - 8 inches), but as I add weight I can not go as deep and I push down on the balls of my feet too much.

Thoughts?
    Regards,
    Ceolin

Big Brother is watching you.

"The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."

Benjamin Disraeli, first Prime Minister of England, in a novel he published in 1844 called Coningsby, the New Generation

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    heres the thing I am all about going low as hell. But when I do I feel like I am all hips. When I get me feet a little closer and go just to parallel my quads get rocked.

niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ceolin
    I have found that I am able to take on much more weight and go deeper when taking a wider stance in my squat while using my abs, hips, etc, to perform the lift.

While I feel this is giving me a great lower body workout, I'm wondering if I compromise on quad development by using this form.

My quads are always more sore afterwards when I take a closer stance (6 - 8 inches), but as I add weight I can not go as deep and I push down on the balls of my feet too much.

Thoughts?
    Try front squats-much better for your quads when you become accustom to them
    http://www.myspace.com/nicholaseasey

jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamieo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by niceasey
    I agree... It took me a few days to get used to doing front squats, but I do them regularly now.
    "I haven't memorized all of the cute things to say ... but I'm working on it"

Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ceolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by niceasey
    Do you have suggestions on form for these outside of the myriad of animated pics out there?
    Regards,
    Ceolin

"The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."

Benjamin Disraeli, first Prime Minister of England, in a novel he published in 1844 called Coningsby, the New Generation

Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berserkersdmf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should be able to go lower with a closer stance,than with a wider stance.If thats not happening,you may have some form or flexibility issues.The wider you go,the less your quads will be involed.The front squats are pretty basic.Just keep the bar racked across your delts(you should feel the bar touching your neck)Thats where alot of people slip up.Other than that the biggest difference from a back squat is that you wont sit back so much.Your upper body should stay slightly more upright.
    Practice with a broomstick,or empty bar and you should be able to get the form down.

niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ceolin
    Do you have suggestions on form for these outside of the myriad of animated pics out there?
    I hold my arms out in front of me and rest the bar on my shoulders. I then cross my left hand and hold the bar on my right shoulder and vice versa.

I use a mirror to check form. Before squatting I stand with my back straight look into the mirror and mark it. I always look at this mark when squatting.
    http://www.myspace.com/nicholaseasey

Originally Posted by Berserkersdmf
    You should be able to go lower with a closer stance,than with a wider stance.If thats not happening,you may have some form or flexibility issues.The wider you go,the less your quads will be involed.The front squats are pretty basic.Just keep the bar racked across your delts(you should feel the bar touching your neck)Thats where alot of people slip up.Other than that the biggest difference from a back squat is that you wont sit back so much.Your upper body should stay slightly more upright.
    Practice with a broomstick,or empty bar and you should be able to get the form down.
    I think it's that my rear is closer to the ground when my legs are further apart. Regardless, the power is not there when I need it on heavier sets when approach parallel, so I don't go any deeper. Maybe I should drop the weight on the closer stance until I gain more strenghth?

I will practice front squats this evening and try a set tomorrow morning since it's leg day. Any advice on foot position for these? Wide or close?
    Regards,
    Ceolin

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    back squatting will always be about hips/hams/glutes; not quads to a heavy degree. for betst quad work, do front squatting.
    <->

lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you want to hit the quads more put in the front squat , excellent leg exercise . i use to do 3-4 sets after squats but you can figure out yourself when to do them .
    if you want good training advice , dont ask the biggest guy in the gym. ask the guy who's made the most improvement

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lonewolfshome
    if you want to hit the quads more put in the front squat , excellent leg exercise . i use to do 3-4 sets after squats but you can figure out yourself when to do them .
    yea, fron squatting is very good
    <->