double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Is Shoulders after Back day bad? + New split

With my new split I am going to do Shoulders after my Back day and I do Side Lat Raises on Shoulder day. Would this be counterproductive to do lat raises 24 hours after hitting the lats in general on back day? I do the lat raises for my medial delts mostly (but I am pretty sure they are called lat raises....)

Sorry if this is confusing, I haven't posted in a while and just starting a new split... (here it is by the way)

Monday
    CHEST
    flat bench x3
    incline bench x2
    decline bench x2
    dips x2

Tuesday
    BACK/LEGS
    weighted pull ups x3
    bb row x2
    t bar x2
    squats x3
    calf raise x3
    forearm curl x3

Wednesday
    SHOULDERS
    db press x3
    incline lat raise x3
    lat raise partials x2
    rc work
    shrugs x3

Thursday
    ARMS
    cg bench x3
    skull crusher x3
    standing rev. preacher x3
    incline curl x3
    forearm curl x3
    calf raise x3

Friday
    off

Saturday
    light volume chest
    flat db x2
    incline db x2
    cable flyes x3

Sunday
    light volume back/legs
    chin ups x2
    t bar alt grip x2
    shrugs x3
    leg press x3
    leg curl x3
    calf raise x3
    forearm curl x3

I feel like I need to hit chest/back/legs (with less volume) on the weekend otherwise the following week I feel like I didn't gain much after the 6 days rest. I know 6 days is a lot but think I have it spaced out pretty good...Thoughts?

Thanks

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lateral raises work your side delts not Latissimus Dorsi.

double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I felt a little sore the next day in my lats but probably because my form wasn't as strict as it should be. I guess with this schedule one good thing is itll force me to make sure I'm using my side delts and not pulling with my back at all

Does the program look decent over all? With a good diet I should be able to get away with that much volume right?

Thnx again

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your back is probably sore from the Back workout. Sometimes certain muscles don't get sore right away.

I would listen to your instinct regarding training frequency. Your routine is good, but if you are not advanced (training steadily with good gains for more than a year) you should be doing a different split with MORE frequency.

Why don't you try a 2 on 1 off, 1 on 1 off? That will give you slightly more frequency, with good recovery time.

I would do Chest/Back on DAy 1. Then Legs. Then Shoulders and arms on day 3.

Another option is a 2 on 1 off 2 on 1 off.

You could do:

Chest/Bis
    Shoulders
    off
    Back/Tris
    Legs
    off
    repeat.

I have been doing this for the past year probably:
    Chest
    Back
    off
    Shoulders
    Arms
    off
    Legs

Decent gains but never as great as they could have been I guess. I want to focus/train harder this summer so figured I could double up on what I feel the core groups are (chest, back, legs). I say core just because I figure I am also hitting shoulders indirectly on chest day and arms indirectly on chest/back days.

Wouldnt the 2 on 1 off or 1 on 1 off be less frequency?

waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi there,

The lateral raise like all exercises uses a Synergist, A muscle that assists another muscle to accomplish a movement.

And a Stabilizer A muscle that contracts with no significant movement.

Yes you will be using your back slightly on the lowering or the lateral raise, and also a lot of other muscle that surround the back and help it perform work, like the below,

Synergist below,

Serratus magnus
    Serratus magnus: One of the serratus muscles of the back and thorax. The serratus magnus originates from the lateral aspect (the side) of the first eight to nine ribs and inserts into the medial margin of the scapula ( wing bone ). The serratus anterior rotates scapula and pulls it forward and elevates the ribs.

http://exrx.net/Muscles/SerratusAnterior.html
    Trapezius lower,

http://exrx.net/Muscles/TrapeziusLower.html

Trapezius middle,

http://exrx.net/Muscles/TrapeziusMiddle.html

Rotatory Cuff

http://exrx.net/Muscles/Supraspinatus.html

Shoulder (Front)

http://exrx.net/Muscles/DeltoidAnterior.html

Stabilizer below,

Upper Traps

http://exrx.net/Muscles/TrapeziusUpper.html
    Neck (Rear)
    http://exrx.net/Muscles/LevatorScapulae.html

Thank you Wayne

Thanks wayne. Do you advise not doing lat raises after back even if its only a synergist muscle?

EDIT: Updated split (an extra rest day betw. chest/back/legs being worked)

Monday
    CHEST
    flat bench x3
    incline bench x2
    decline bench x2
    dips x2

Tuesday
    BACK
    weighted pull ups x3
    bb row x3
    t bar x2
    choice of curl x2
    forearm curl x2
    calf raise x3

Wednesday
    SHOULDERS/LEGS
    db press x3
    incline lat raise x3
    lat raise partials x2
    rc work
    shrugs x3
    squats x3
    leg extension x3

Thursday
    ARMS
    cg bench x3
    skull crusher x3
    standing rev. preacher x3
    incline curl x3
    forearm curl x3
    calf raise x3

Friday
    off

Saturday
    light volume chest/back
    flat db x2
    incline db x2
    cable flyes x3
    chin ups x2
    t bar alt grip x2
    shrugs x3

Sunday
    light volume legs
    leg press x3
    leg curl x3
    calf raise x3
    forearm curl x3

Muscles worked directly / volume

Chest twice
    Back twice
    Legs twice
    Shoulders once
    Arms once
    (Forearms three times, Calves three times)

Calves and Forearms only need 48 hours to rest, correct?
    Looks pretty solid to me...Thanks for the help so far
    Last edited by double e; 06-21-2005 at 04:46 PM.

waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi there,

I would have at leat 48 hours after back, becouse of what I said, and shoulds are worked a lot on the back workout.

Thank you Wayne

im curious because im thinking of it in a simple way...back = pull, shoulders = push

since they are stabilizers are they (the shoulders) going to achieve hypertrophy from being a synergist muscle on back day? shouldnt i be able to work them out the next day, or the same day for that matter successfully?

also, im a 20 y/o male so recovery should be decent

i really appreciate it if you could elaborate on this...thanks

Originally Posted by double e
    I have been doing this for the past year probably:
    Chest
    Back
    off
    Shoulders
    Arms
    off
    Legs

Decent gains but never as great as they could have been I guess. I want to focus/train harder this summer so figured I could double up on what I feel the core groups are (chest, back, legs). I say core just because I figure I am also hitting shoulders indirectly on chest day and arms indirectly on chest/back days.

Wouldnt the 2 on 1 off or 1 on 1 off be less frequency?
    I am using your first MAIN workouts, not the feeder workouts. It would increase the frequency of the hard workouts.

And synergists/stabilizers etc DO NOT need 48 hours to recover because of the low drain on resources. It is not true that everytime you use any muscle AT ALL you now need 48 hours to recover. LOL.