Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Too much protein?

At 9am I take 46 grams of protein. Work out at 10. Come home at 11 and take anohter 46 grams. Is this too much for my body to use, or is it alright?

BTW, later in the night, like 5 or 6pm, ill take another 46 grams.

endlessfight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endlessfight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endlessfight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i dont think you have much to worry about, the 9 am and 11 am is a little close, mabye try and stretch it out another half hour if you can, but i really dont think its that huge of a deal
    Omega Cre-Ethyl Thunder Log
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=499440[/url]

[Insert cocky coment] IrishMuscle27's Avatar
    IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    doesnt look like to much, i weigh 160 and i have 200 grams a day, so i think your ok
    [url]http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=sligh27[/url]

[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=521858[/url]

FB40RCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FB40RCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FB40RCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    doubt that u r consuming to much
    Georgetown Football

nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nappyjim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FB40RCK
    doubt that u r consuming to much
    well according to the package, each scoop is 23 grams. 23+23 = 46.

KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KUDave is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm no nutritionist, but I heard that your body can only absorb soo much protein at one dosage.. the rest just passes through.

True or not.. I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by KUDave
    I'm no nutritionist, but I heard that your body can only absorb soo much protein at one dosage.. the rest just passes through.

True or not.. I'm not sure.
    Yah, im pretty sure that is true.

What Im gonna do is maybe move the 9am dose to 8am. Cause I know everyone says your body needs protein the most right after your workout, so I dont want to move that 11am dose up anymore.

Space has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You shouldn't really be concerned that your protein could be too high. People who follow max OT training guidelines get 50% of their daily calorie intake from protein and report good results. So long as you don't enter ketosis (ie. too low carbs) everything should be fine.

mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should also try and eat something that has protein in it, such as chicken or a can of tuna, dont rely on just whey.

TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mike79
    You should also try and eat something that has protein in it, such as chicken or a can of tuna, dont rely on just whey.
    And make sure its all throughout the day & at bedtime. I weigh 185 & take 30-40 grams at a time all day long.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It depends how much is going into your system, what your protein count is with real food, how much hydration you have, etc etc etc.

I once took a protein shake to work and a guy I work with explained how he had kidney failure a while back when he was an athlete. He spoke to me of "protein poisoning" and that it is very possibly to overload your system with protein supplements. I don't remember the eaxct facts and technical things he explained to me. But he made it clear that educated people had shown him that too much protein could be a very harmful thing. Too much of anything is harmful anyways.

And just remember that supplements are not supposed to be in lieu of real food, which is how so many people treat them. If the majority of your nutrition comes from supplements, you should alter your diet.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by smokeater
    It depends how much is going into your system, what your protein count is with real food, how much hydration you have, etc etc etc.

I once took a protein shake to work and a guy I work with explained how he had kidney failure a while back when he was an athlete. He spoke to me of "protein poisoning" and that it is very possibly to overload your system with protein supplements. I don't remember the eaxct facts and technical things he explained to me. But he made it clear that educated people had shown him that too much protein could be a very harmful thing. Too much of anything is harmful anyways.

And just remember that supplements are not supposed to be in lieu of real food, which is how so many people treat them. If the majority of your nutrition comes from supplements, you should alter your diet.
    your boy is full of it. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne38.htm

Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bodybuildjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good post str8, good to see someone do some research before they type it out.

TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bodybuildjoe
    Good post str8, good to see someone do some research before they type it out.
    He's the one who wrote that article.

Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think the jury is still out on how much protein can be processed in one sitting.

Most bodybuilders are going to consume 2g, 3g or even 4g of protein per pound of body weight. I stay around 2g.

I can tell that I am taking too much protein when my urine smells like sulphur.

Pineapple and/or Bromelain (caps) can assist in the digestion of food.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ineffable
    I think the jury is still out on how much protein can be processed in one sitting.

Most bodybuilders are going to consume 2g, 3g or even 4g of protein per pound of body weight. I stay around 2g.

I can tell that I am taking too much protein when my urine smells like sulphur.

4g/ lb? I'd like to see one person who can do that. NOW THAT is absolutely absurd

[Insert cocky coment] IrishMuscle27's Avatar
    IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IrishMuscle27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Papaya can also help digestion and you can buy papaya enzymes anywhere. I have about 1.25 grams per pound per day so i dont do to bad figuring im not bulking. NOBODY has 4 grams per lb, that could be up to like 3200+ calories just from protein then an equal amout from carbs then add fat your over 8000 calories per day, that man would be a fatass
    [url]http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=sligh27[/url]

[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=521858[/url]

Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ineffable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

Irish & Str9--

I am not disagreeing with you that 4g is too much. I know that Dorian Yates consumed 10,000 calories in the off season. At over 300lbs of body weight, he had to be pushing 900+g of protein.

Right on with the Papaya.

Westside Brbell-revisited elcid2007's Avatar
    elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There was a HUGE post about pre and post workout nutrition. I can't remember which forum it was in.. i'm thinking Diet. Neways what the post was about was 4 meals revolving around ur workout. Ur first meal should be an hour before the workout consisting of carbs + protein. The second meal should be a shake taken 15 to 30 minutes before ur workout consisting of carbs + protein. The third meal is ur postworkout shake which should consist of protein + carbs immediately after ur workout. And the 4th meal was about an hour or 2 after ur shake which consists of protein and carbs. For specific amounts do the research and check out the post. It has great info on there and will really help u on ur nutrition surrounding ur lift

Elcid

I am fortunate enough to live in the area of two of the best bodybuilding nutritionists. I have several of their diets. If you like, I will dig them out and post them. I do not currently use them. I am as big as I want to be and have no interest in bodybuilding as a sport.

Westside Brbell-revisited elcid2007's Avatar
    elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elcid2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey ineffable.. if you don't mind.. could u post them. I'd like to see what their nutritional plans are

I'm bulking right now.. so if they have a bulking diet post that up and ill see how it compares to mine

Wink

The Ultimate Muscle-Huge Diet Has Arrived!
    The sample diet below is very effective for big muscle mass and result producing for anyone that wants to put on muscle fast. work your way into the diet slowly. don’t try to eat everything the first day. each day eat a little more until you are full swing into the diet after a week or two. It’s designed to achieve a goal of 6 – 7 pound muscle gain in four - six weeks time. After that back off the protein and calories and tighten up for a few weeks.
    Take a beverly super pak with your first meal to ensure you are getting all the vitamins / minerals and co-enzymes necessary to utilize protein to build muscle. we’ve included a lot of fresh fruit to provide fiber and aid digestion. Finally, be sure to take mass and ultra 40 – 4 each per meal. This diet with the recommended supplements will “over-provide” – up to 450 – 500 grams protein per day!

Meal #1
    2 whole eggs + 4 egg whites
    8 oz lean beef
    1 piece fruit (banana or apple)

Meal #2
    2 scoops ultra size
    1 scoop 100% egg protein or muscle provider
    2 oz heavy cream, 1 tbs vegetable oil (sunflower, safflower or olive oil)
    6 frozen strawberries and / or 1 banana
    12 – 16 oz water or skim milk
    (you can make this shake up before you leave
    home – it’s all whole food based and will
    not degrade if refrigerated)

Meal #3
    6 oz turkey breast or chicken breast
    6 oz beef or 1 cup cottage cheese
    Fresh pineapple
    (or other fresh fruit – pineapple contains the
    enzyme bromelain which helps digest protein)
    and / or salad

Meal #4
    Protein drink (same as meal #2)

Meal #5
    6 – 8 oz chicken or turkey breast
    6 – 8 oz lean red meat (beef or pork)
    Small salad
    1 piece fruit (banana)

Meal #6
    2 Whole eggs + 4 egg whites
    8 oz Lean Beef
    1 Piece fruit (apple or pear)

- Post training meal (on workout days only)
    - Ultra-size
    - Baked potato or pasta
    - Brown rice, oatmeal, corn or bread
    - Green vegetable or salad
    - (if you prefer your complex carbs in a post
    workout shake – beverly’s mass maker is the best.)

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Damn that is unreal
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

Pretty rough huh??? I have some other ones not as rigorous. Let me know if you want them posted.

Team Molecular Nutrition Peter LeDrew's Avatar
    Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The Ultimate Muscle-Huge Diet Has Arrived!
    The sample diet below is very effective for big muscle mass and result producing for anyone that wants to put on muscle fast. work your way into the diet slowly. don’t try to eat everything the first day. each day eat a little more until you are full swing into the diet after a week or two. It’s designed to achieve a goal of 6 – 7 pound muscle gain in four - six weeks time. After that back off the protein and calories and tighten up for a few weeks.
    Take a beverly super pak with your first meal to ensure you are getting all the vitamins / minerals and co-enzymes necessary to utilize protein to build muscle. we’ve included a lot of fresh fruit to provide fiber and aid digestion. Finally, be sure to take mass and ultra 40 – 4 each per meal. This diet with the recommended supplements will “over-provide” – up to 450 – 500 grams protein per day!

Meal #1
    2 whole eggs + 4 egg whites
    8 oz lean beef
    1 piece fruit (banana or apple)

Meal #2
    2 scoops ultra size
    1 scoop 100% egg protein or muscle provider
    2 oz heavy cream, 1 tbs vegetable oil (sunflower, safflower or olive oil)
    6 frozen strawberries and / or 1 banana
    12 – 16 oz water or skim milk
    (you can make this shake up before you leave
    home – it’s all whole food based and will
    not degrade if refrigerated)

Meal #3
    6 oz turkey breast or chicken breast
    6 oz beef or 1 cup cottage cheese
    Fresh pineapple
    (or other fresh fruit – pineapple contains the
    enzyme bromelain which helps digest protein)
    and / or salad

Meal #4
    Protein drink (same as meal #2)

Meal #5
    6 – 8 oz chicken or turkey breast
    6 – 8 oz lean red meat (beef or pork)
    Small salad
    1 piece fruit (banana)

Meal #6
    2 Whole eggs + 4 egg whites
    8 oz Lean Beef
    1 Piece fruit (apple or pear)

- Post training meal (on workout days only)
    - Ultra-size
    - Baked potato or pasta
    - Brown rice, oatmeal, corn or bread
    - Green vegetable or salad
    - (if you prefer your complex carbs in a post
    workout shake – beverly’s mass maker is the best.)

Why so much 400-500g of protein?

On & on & on on & on ssmokinjoe's Avatar
    ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've been taking 8 protein shakes a day for the past 3 months already. I take 1 with each meal and also 1 pre- and then 1 post workout. Each shake is about 50g. I'm 5'9" and currently only 160lbs so i'm trying my best to get some weight on. I actually have put on 10lbs in the past 3months. I use mostly Dymatize Elite Whey and Dymatize ISO-100 and ON casein before bed. I also eat mostly chicken breasts and tuna and other high protein foods.

Lately i've been getting some pain in my kidney area and i'm getting a bit concerned. I'm not sure if the high protein is the problem but i dont wanna stop with my routine because it's been really helping me put on muscle. As long as i just piss out the protein im not using im not really concerned because im still pretty lean and i dont mind putting on a bit of bodyfat. Someone just told me to increase my water intake. Does that sound about right or is there something else i can try?

Peter

This diet comes directly from Beverly International. They will make a diet for just about anyone, but mostly for hardcore bodybuilders.

Beverly International has been in business for over 30 years and have 10,000 diets under their belt. They guarantee the weight gain and will refund the money on any of their products you take, if they do not work. Each of their products is randomly tested by two separate companies for quality. They always test at or above label specs.

SmokinJoe

My brother has a kidney disorder. Yes, drinking more water will help, but I would not take advice regarding my kidneys from anyone other than a doctor.

Ketosis can set in if you take in too much protein. Is your urine cloudy or smell like sulphur?

Team Molecular Nutrition Peter LeDrew's Avatar
    Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Peter LeDrew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed

I don't think this small article is the end of the story in answering the question of too much protein. There's also the question of just how much is too much.

A study examining bodybuilders with protein intakes of 2.8g/kg vs. well trained athletes with moderate protein intakes revealed no significant differences in kidney function between the groups.1

Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O. Do regular high-protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes? Int J Sports Nutr 2000;10:28-38.

The obvious problem with this study was it was limited to one month, and evidence of long-term kidney problems associated with chronic protein loading were not examined.

So you can't simply say there's no risks. You don't know for certain and many bb'ers go above and beyond 2.8/kg everyday longterm (years).

As with all things you CAN get too much of a good thing. For a good example besides excess vitamins, I point to water, which can cause hyponatremia or water intoxication and has resulted in deaths of athletes.

The small physiological changes that may go undetected short term may rear its ugly head long term.

If you want to list studies on protein, why not address the controlled studies that have found no advantage of protein supplementation (up to about 100 grams per day or about 14 grams immediately following exercise) for improving strength or body composition as long as the diet already supplies typical amounts of protein and calories

Rozenek R, Ward P, Long S, Garhammer J. Effects of high-calorie supplements on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2002;42:340-7.
    Williams AG, van den Oord M, Sharma A, Jones DA. Is glucose/amino acid supplementation after exercise an aid to strength training? Br J Sports Med 2001;35:109-13.
    Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. J Appl Physiol 1992;73:767-75.

There is also the issue that high protein diets are NOT the best diets to optimize testosterone levels despite what people assume. This is backed by recent studies such as the one in AJCN. In fact, a very high protein intake may have adverse effects on testosterone levels.

Thumbs up

Nice post Pete.

"very high protein intake may have adverse effects on testosterone levels." <<< Never seen this before. If you know where it can be found, let me know.

I know that some or a lot of soy protein can reduce your testosterone level.

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey, ineffable, you need the majority of your calories from fat for ketosis to set in...

And, Peter, were those high-protein/low-fat diets or what?
    Speller Extraordinaire. Don't believe the lies.