Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Doing 100's of situps for abs..

Alot of people here say do weighted crunches...but I thought about how boxers do 100's or even 1000's of situps some days and all of them pack alot of mass/cut in tehre abs. I know there cut in there abs from the cardio they do, but they train there abs with 100's of situps so that must also build mass, I was just wondering im not a newbie really but I just want your guys opinion on this because it seems to conflict with the theory that 100's of situps dont add mass.

kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kronik85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just because they do it doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. i'm sure some boxers do 1000s of situps. but i bet you some dont and their abs are just as defined/built. majority of people dont do 1000s of situps and still build great abs.

cut abs have noting to do with # of situps. has to do with body fat%. i bet you the strongest abs out there belong to people who use weights with their ab exercises, not those who do 100000 crunches.

White boy becoming steel AmericanMuscle2's Avatar
    AmericanMuscle2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AmericanMuscle2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i dont know if hundreds of sit ups a day will be too good, because abs are just like other muscles in your body, they can be overtrained. there isn't anything wrong with only doing 50 or 70 a day, but hundreds is too much.
    "It aint the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok ONE: your new... thats over training
    TWO: crunches arent the best way with crunches a lot of people tend to use their hip flexors there are thousands of exercises look it up on bodybuilding.com
    THREE: the ONLY way you will ever see your abs is to have very little body fat.

2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle2
    i dont know if hundreds of sit ups a day will be too good, because abs are just like other muscles in your body, they can be overtrained. there isn't anything wrong with only doing 50 or 70 a day, but hundreds is too much.
    ............ so when was it discovered that 50-70 is a good range for abs, but 100+ is too much? youre just throwing numbers out there
    i say 69 is the perfect number for abs. but only if youre over 147 lbs. if youre between 157 and 283 pounds you should do 287 situps. but only on odd days. even days are for drinking milk. but only 2% milk, 1% is bad for you bc it doesnt have vitamins.

FIRST of all, sit-ups are a ****ty exercise for abs. your abs are only worked until you reach about a 30 degree angle, after that your hip flexors kick in.

anyway, what boxers do they do specifically for boxing. boxers do a lotta endurance **** as well (naturally the sport requires it), and 1000's of sit-ups will help them work endurance, bc doing 1000 reps of anything is simply endurance. And boxers do LOTS of other crap as well. Professional boxers develop so many custom exercises for their sport, and all that crap doesn't apply to someone who's simply trying to get nice abs. Why do we always hear about boxers doing 1000's of sit-ups? bc the general public believes that sit-ups are the key to losing the gut, so they nitpick one small thing and find out that boxers do 1000's of situps everyday, so they MUST be right.

anyone who wants to BUILD large, massive abs has to add resistance, simple as that. you might have the genetics to get massive abs by doing 100's of situps everyday, but if you do then I bet you'd probably get even bigger abs by working them out with resistance. Why? because thats just how muscles work, you lower the reps and up the resistance if you wanna stimulate fast twitch muscle fibers, which basically account for the mass in muscle fibers.

also, in reference to the post i quoted, abs are like any other muscle in the body, BUT they're supposed to recover relatively quicker than most other muscles since they're largely slow twitch (why? cuz you use em all the time, standing, sitting, walking, etc, slow-twitch fiber is more efficient for this crap). doesnt mean you should work them out everyday, or every other day even.

heres what i do for abs:
    couple weighted exercises for upper abs
    couple weighted exercises for lower abs
    keep around a 15 rep range
    2-3 times a week

but as always, abs are made mostly through your diet, not your workout.

anyway i kinda wrote too much, but there was too much misleading info and i had to reply =P
    Body: Ectomorphus
    Sigma: Arees
    Birth day: February 29, 1991
    Max Tricepts Curl: 45 lb's
    Max Bicepts Curl: 78 lb's
    Max BB BP Bench Flat Press. : 305 lb's
    Max Death Lifts: 115 lb's
    B.F.: 8%
    G.F.: Anna
    Height: 5'9
    Width: 3'8
    Length: 3.59"
    Weight: 129.2 lbs (3.2lb gain this bimester)

"A weightlifter desires what mankind aspires... Together what will both jym and steel make of eternity? Nobody knows."
    -One of the greatest mans ever to life

You're not important. CrackAddictX03's Avatar
    Location: girlfriends bedroom. the kitchen. my room/weight room. you can find me there.
    CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    are you a boxer or a bodybuiler ?

they do the thousands of situps cuz they need endurance and a strong core. You and bodybuilders do weighted situps to make the muscle bigger. Then you cut to be able to see the muscle.

simple enough ? its about the purpose.
    Hehehehe Hahahaha Whohohohoh

Just throwin some logic in there.

Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Loc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chimairachik07
    ok ONE: your new... thats over training
    TWO: crunches arent the best way with crunches a lot of people tend to use their hip flexors there are thousands of exercises look it up on bodybuilding.com
    THREE: the ONLY way you will ever see your abs is to have very little body fat.
    1. I never said it wasnt overtraining, and im not new
    2. I never asked for different excercises
    3. I can see my abs because i have 7% body fat
    4. I never asked for your opinions or help so fade into bolivion

Originally Posted by CrackAddictX03
    are you a boxer or a bodybuiler ?

they do the thousands of situps cuz they need endurance and a strong core. You and bodybuilders do weighted situps to make the muscle bigger. Then you cut to be able to see the muscle.

simple enough ? its about the purpose.
    I am more an athlete then a body builder since I play another sport and will box after the sport is over. I need to develeop a strong core anyway for another sport so would be doing 100 situps with other ab excercises good for my core?

You're not important. CrackAddictX03's Avatar
    Location: girlfriends bedroom. the kitchen. my room/weight room. you can find me there.
    CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CrackAddictX03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    crunches are the best.

leg raises are not quite as needed but can be useful and help with flexibility.

do the twisting crunches as well, along with the ab bicycle exercise.

all of these can be seen at the exercise database at bodybuilding.com

and yes, it will be great for the core.
    Hehehehe Hahahaha Whohohohoh

Just throwin some logic in there.

2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2ill4brasil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Loc
    I am more an athlete then a body builder since I play another sport and will box after the sport is over. I need to develeop a strong core anyway for another sport so would be doing 100 situps with other ab excercises good for my core?
    if your main purpose is to just have functionally strong abs and a strong core, without specific focus on mass or bodybuilding, then what you should really focus on is the underpart of your abs. the name of the muscle doesnt come to mind right now, but your abs is made of the top part, which is the visible sixpack, and the underpart, which accounts for balance and stuff like that.
    the underpart is really helpful with balance and just having a strong core overall, and is worked mainly through stability exercises, stuff like exercises on a medicine ball, balance exercises, **** like that

also if youre a fighter a lotta ppl do exercises that involve throwing stuff at your abs. doesn't do much for strength, but it's supposed to be a good mental exercise and a great exercise for controlled breathing
    and if you want functional strength never neglect those obliques and your lower back

im no expert so you might wanna research on more sports-specific stuff

good luck
    Body: Ectomorphus
    Sigma: Arees
    Birth day: February 29, 1991
    Max Tricepts Curl: 45 lb's
    Max Bicepts Curl: 78 lb's
    Max BB BP Bench Flat Press. : 305 lb's
    Max Death Lifts: 115 lb's
    B.F.: 8%
    G.F.: Anna
    Height: 5'9
    Width: 3'8
    Length: 3.59"
    Weight: 129.2 lbs (3.2lb gain this bimester)

"A weightlifter desires what mankind aspires... Together what will both jym and steel make of eternity? Nobody knows."
    -One of the greatest mans ever to life