686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 686 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Weight Lifting Belts

What do you guys think of weight lifting belts? I use one but I talked with my school's athletic weight trainer and he said that belts aren't good because they don't strengthen your lower back and spine. He said I should not use one and start with less when I squat. What do you guys think?

Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fetus Soccer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    im no expert, so dont take my advice to heart. okay... my understanding is that using a weight belt all the time will result in a lack of core strength due to the lack of stabilization involved. the only time they should be used is if you are maxing out, unless you are suicidal. or maybe for ONE of your sets going really heavy. i also understand that you will still mess yourself up if your form sucks, so you shouldnt rely on a belt to save you on a max (or any amount of weight). again, im no expert and this is just my understanding from what i've read.
    hail murder. **** you.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Fetus Soccer
    im no expert, so dont take my advice to heart. okay... my understanding is that using a weight belt all the time will result in a lack of core strength due to the lack of stabilization involved. the only time they should be used is if you are maxing out, unless you are suicidal. or maybe for ONE of your sets going really heavy. i also understand that you will still mess yourself up if your form sucks, so you shouldnt rely on a belt to save you on a max (or any amount of weight). again, im no expert and this is just my understanding from what i've read.
    well it sounds good to me bro, i totally agree. i used a belt when i first started (for normal rep work) and as a result ended up with ****ty core strength.

mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I stopped using a lifting belt long ago. They'd just get in the way. I stopped using it cuz went I did use one, my form would be **** and I felt a lot of back pain after a few sets of squats. I'd go without it. Squat and deadlift what you can, light weight if you need to, and gradually increase the weight as you get stronger.

Check out this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=487750

deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use a belt in the following situations:

1. Heavy squating
    2. Heavy deadlifting
    3. Heavy barbell rows

If I want to strengthen my lower back I will use exercises which will focus on it such as back extensions or go lighter on the deadlifts without a belt. Otherwise, it isn't worth the risk and you can ask anybody with lower back problems.
    "I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Heretic....

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't use the belt for warmups and working sets unless I am going for a new max. Then I use the belt. Maybe it is psychological but I feel more comfortable going for a max with the belt on. No matter, by not using it the other times, I am building core strength.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When you are going for a 3RM or greater, or can squat and dead 2.5x BW, then you should use one (generally speaking).
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The only time that I wear a belt is when I am training with weights at/over 80% 1rm. Now not all belts are the same either. The normal gym belt that you see everyday are junk. You need a belt that will support you...ie: a powerlifting belt.

ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ArnieRulz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

personally i never have or will use a belt,as people have said it prevents u from maximising ur core strength.I have to laugh when i see 150lbs schmucks at my gym wearing a belt for every bleeding exercise and set going.

Staff Sergeant, USAF SDF________'s Avatar
    SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50) SDF________ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 686
    What do you guys think of weight lifting belts? I use one but I talked with my school's athletic weight trainer and he said that belts aren't good because they don't strengthen your lower back and spine. He said I should not use one and start with less when I squat. What do you guys think?

listen to the man. he knows what he's talking about.

fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does anyone know of anything other than a weightbelt that provides support for the upper body?

I'm looking for something that provides good support for the major muscle groups but does not restrict range of motion or interfere with proper form.

mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10) mighty_mike is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fatpharmboy
    Does anyone know of anything other than a weightbelt that provides support for the upper body?

I'm looking for something that provides good support for the major muscle groups but does not restrict range of motion or interfere with proper form.
    A strong natural core. Just build it.

MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-5621.html

the only weightlifting belt you'll ever need

Always sore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    damm and i start wearing my belt in the parking lot before i ever get to the gym...

like most things belts work better in moderation. (straps/belts/knee wraps/power suits/ect)
    yes thank you i already know i am a big a hole.

fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatpharmboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MT!
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-5621.html

the only weightlifting belt you'll ever need

Good call. Maybe that's the belt I really need.

mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100) mt.trapezius is not very well liked. (-100)
    personally i never use a belt. but that's because i feel funny when i where one...like tragically bad~funny.

but anyways...i read in i think it was last months issue of muscle development magazine that the shouldn't be used because they put the lumbar vertebrae in even more pressure.

now, once again personally, i think if u have exquisite form on ur lifts, then a belt DOESN' T HAVE TO BE USED unless it's deadlifting. now on deadlifting it a totally different story. the lower back is put in so much pressure i think some assistance in keeping it straight might be called for there.

bottom line...it's matter of comfort, security, form, and opinion.

Originally Posted by fatpharmboy

I was searching all over for something other than a weightbelt and came across this www.exoforcegear.com

Guess its something new but it got great reviews on epinions.com so I think I'm going to give it a try.

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The last belt you will ever have to buy.....

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....ERBELT_LEVER13

MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    used to use a belt, actually increased my weights lifted after an initial drop, my back is waay stronger now, use strict form no lower back pain ever.... i say junk it unless u are actually powerlifting some crazy weight...unless it really works for u

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by powerlifter70
    The last belt you will ever have to buy.....

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....ERBELT_LEVER13
    How do you like the lever? I got the single prong 10mm, and I love it.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Originally Posted by dookie1481
    How do you like the lever? I got the single prong 10mm, and I love it.
    I love the lever. Its the easiest belt to tighten/loosen that I have ever owned.

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ArnieRulz
    personally i never have or will use a belt,as people have said it prevents u from maximising ur core strength.I have to laugh when i see 150lbs schmucks at my gym wearing a belt for every bleeding exercise and set going.
    LOL i know what you mean, burn all the belts i say

lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 686
    ok if you are working your abs hard and your lower back with hypers and some form of dlifts i cant see where wearing a belts going to screw up your core . i only use a belt on my heaviest sets of trapdlifts anyway. if wearing a belt gives you some comfort to go heavy go for it , squats and deadlifts ok.
    if you want good training advice , dont ask the biggest guy in the gym. ask the guy who's made the most improvement

Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    IF you are going for maxes id say wear a belt - for regular training, no.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I use a belt for only two things:

-heavy barbell shrugs=it helps keep my hips "in line" easier
    -dumbbell presses=it lowers the stress on lower back while I'm sitting down and getting into position

and I hate the standard weightlifting belt with notches, it's like a fixed ratcheting effect.
    instead I love using one of those work type belts you see guys use sometimes in their jobs. They are velcro, and they stretch, just adding support without squeezing you to death.

And I cut off the suspenders they come with because those get in the way besides making me look like a dork in the gym.
    Time To Re-Schedule