SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000) SOLITARYBEAST is just really nice. (+1000)

TRAP BAR DEADLIFTS vs REGULAR FULL SQUATS

I've read in Stuart Mcroberts books & articles that the trap bar deadlift is pretty much the equal of the regular squat -

what do you guys think about this claim - bonuses include being able to use more weight and a safer position for the bar rather than on your back - except your doing the identical movement to a squat with the bar in your hands -

would be very useful especially for 20 rep work and developing a great grip and forearms - what do you guys think?

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i love doing trap deads, but they are completely different from squats

Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I tried trap bar deadlift with about 210 or so lbs ( I just saw it laying there in the gym loaded already and figured I give it a try). It felt good and a very natural movement with less stress on the lower back and more on the quads than standard deadlift. However I didnt think it could at all replace the bb squat.

DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaEagles4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How exactly do you do this trap bar deadlifts

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DaEagles4Life

grab a trap bar and stand up

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yea, i'm just not seeing it being a direct replacement for squats.

Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    grab a trap bar and stand up
    ^^^
    <->

lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SOLITARYBEAST
    I've read in Stuart Mcroberts books & articles that the trap bar deadlift is pretty much the equal of the regular squat -

what do you guys think about this claim - bonuses include being able to use more weight and a safer position for the bar rather than on your back - except your doing the identical movement to a squat with the bar in your hands -

would be very useful especially for 20 rep work and developing a great grip and forearms - what do you guys think?
    squats are great but if for any reason you cant do them , squatting with a trapbar is a very good alternative . and i also feel the whole body straining doing them . i leg press on mondays and use trapbar for dlifts on fridays ( legs get hit twice )
    if you want good training advice , dont ask the biggest guy in the gym. ask the guy who's made the most improvement

maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50) maxiw will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DaEagles4Life
    The trap bar:
    Attached Images

nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I wish my gym had one SDFlip you got one at your base gym?? Where u stationed again?

Originally Posted by nick912
    I wish my gym had one SDFlip you got one at your base gym?? Where u stationed again?
    All the gyms I go to have trap bars!

The gyms on base have a few trap bars and the gym my wife works at just got one after I kept asking for them to buy one. I literally asked every time I saw the manager and he finally got one free from a local high school.

I'm at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ.

Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mechanically, they are very similar to squats as far sa the trunk and legs are concerned

I think it could very easily replace the squat if you had to do such a thing. It is almost superior when you do them on boxes so you can go very low. Get a trap bar with 2 handles per side, one regular and one fat, and it's pretty uber. If I had to make a choice between the deadlift, the regular squat and the squatlift, I'd take the squatlift

My bases had trap bars and we even had some on ship

keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) keninottawa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've read Stuart's book, too, and I think he means that if you're really focusing on one exercise, you wouldn't necessarily have to incorporate the other in your workout. Both exercises have their metabolic advantages and they both work almost all of your musculature.

He's a big fan of abbreviation. Personally, I do my squats and deads back-to-back in my 'abbreviated' routine!

instead of using boxes to stand on, try using 25's

i'll rotate from 25s to 35s to 45s each week so i can start from varying heights

Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sh0t` has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by keninottawa
    I've read Stuart's book, too, and I think he means that if you're really focusing on one exercise, you wouldn't necessarily have to incorporate the other in your workout. Both exercises have their metabolic advantages and they both work almost all of your musculature.

He's a big fan of abbreviation. Personally, I do my squats and deads back-to-back in my 'abbreviated' routine!
    I used to do 2 sets each of squatlifts, squats, and deadlifts with pullups inbetween each set of the "leg" exercises

UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man I miss the trap bar, my new gym doesnt have one.

SDFlipStyle - is your base gym nice? I'm asking because I used to workout for a loooong time at Nellis AFB till I moved and I have yet to find a gym thats nicer. The gym on base had top notch equipment, serious lifters, not to busy, its was perfect. Now I am stuck at a dam 24hr fitness with all the cardio bunnies.
    Respek!

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    stick with the trap bar if you want more leg development, go with the standard barbell if you want more back work. I use the standard barbell for deads on my back day. I think the trap bar is much too easy also, I can do around 200 more pounds with the trap bar than the straight bar.

Originally Posted by UNLVmike
    Man I miss the trap bar, my new gym doesnt have one.

SDFlipStyle - is your base gym nice? I'm asking because I used to workout for a loooong time at Nellis AFB till I moved and I have yet to find a gym thats nicer. The gym on base had top notch equipment, serious lifters, not to busy, its was perfect. Now I am stuck at a dam 24hr fitness with all the cardio bunnies.
    There are two gyms on base.

one is open during duty hours and it's and older facility. The equipment is better (POWER RACK!, chest supported row, more cable stations) and it's bigger and less crowded. But the dumbells and plates are everywhere and mismatched.

the newer gym is 24 hours and it's huge.... on the outside. they designed the freakin lobby to be bigger than the weight room. the equipment is nice and new, but it's mostly hammer strength machines. the freeweights are good but they are no where near mirrors. there's NO POWER RACK, but a squat rack that can be used as a power rack if you get creative. All i can say is - it's a pretty gym.

i'd prefer a gym that's functional..... that's why i pay to go to a different gym even though the gym on base is free.

UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are two gyms on base.

one is open during duty hours and it's and older facility. The equipment is better (POWER RACK!, chest supported row, more cable stations) and it's bigger and less crowded. But the dumbells and plates are everywhere and mismatched.

the newer gym is 24 hours and it's huge.... on the outside. they designed the freakin lobby to be bigger than the weight room. the equipment is nice and new, but it's mostly hammer strength machines. the freeweights are good but they are no where near mirrors. there's NO POWER RACK, but a squat rack that can be used as a power rack if you get creative. All i can say is - it's a pretty gym.

i'd prefer a gym that's functional..... that's why i pay to go to a different gym even though the gym on base is free.
    Wow, thats wierd. The gym at Nellis has three nice and big power racks and all the free wieghts are surrounded by mirrors, nice size area to. The cool thing to is that all of the cable machines (except the cable crossover) are upstairs. With that, you get a seperation of people wanting to hit the free wieghts from the moms and young girls who are just trying to shed a few pounds on the machines.

Its the perfect place, I would still go if it wasnt an hour drive from where I live now.
    Respek!

Wow, thats wierd. The gym at Nellis has three nice and big power racks and all the free wieghts are surrounded by mirrors, nice size area to. The cool thing to is that all of the cable machines (except the cable crossover) are upstairs. With that, you get a seperation of people wanting to hit the free wieghts from the moms and young girls who are just trying to shed a few pounds on the machines.

Its the perfect place, I would still go if it wasnt an hour drive from where I live now.
    yeah, but we have plasma screens and a smoothie bar!

yeah, but we have plasma screens and a smoothie bar!
    Napolean Dynamite - "Luuuucky"
    Respek!

Napolean Dynamite - "Luuuucky"
    "Do the chickens have large talons?"

no one can really watch the plasmas except for the people that work at the smoothie bar and the people that hand out towels. such a waste of money.

and the smoothies are so overpriced. $5 and up for a protein shake with 40g of whey protein!?!?!?!
    I just bring powder in a ziploc and mix it up in a cup using a water fountain now.

Whoever designed the new "fitness center" must have never been to a gym before.

nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    All the gyms I go to have trap bars!

The gyms on base have a few trap bars and the gym my wife works at just got one after I kept asking for them to buy one. I literally asked every time I saw the manager and he finally got one free from a local high school.

I'm at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ.
    Dang man! Im stationed at LRAFB and the gym here is brand new and kicks ass, but they lack lots of specialty stuff like that. I was in the desert with the Gym OIC. Im going to talk with her about this!

Originally Posted by nick912
    Dang man! Im stationed at LRAFB and the gym here is brand new and kicks ass, but they lack lots of specialty stuff like that. I was in the desert with the Gym OIC. Im going to talk with her about this!
    won't hurt to ask!

****, they spend loads of money on other lame crap.....they can afford to buy a trap bar