ldy_hale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face should you do Cardio and Weight training at the same time?

I have been reading a lot of forums about what to eat and how to work out, but I have not lucked up yet to find information on when is the best time to work out.
    I currently do 30-40 mins. on the elliptical trainer(i hope i spelled that right)
    then I do my weight training.
    3x12 100lbs legs press
    inner and outer thighs 3x15 50lbs
    chest, arms and back. In other words I do a full body work 3 days a week. But I think I have hit a wall weight lose wise, because I went from 227 to 215 but I can not get down from there.
    I have written down my goals:
    wieght: 215-165
    bfver 30% to less that 20%

My goal date was September. I don't know if this still a realistic time frame.
    any suggestion?

txssweetie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Here's a start..

First of all congrats on your weightloss so far.

It's actually best to not work out and do cardio on the same day. Although if you need to work out the same day as cardio, make sure you seperate the sessions at least 6 hours apart.

I suggest you do 3 sessions of working out a week as well as HIIT 3 times a week (or maybe a 30 min. low intensity cardio session and 2 HIIT sessions.)
    I would also suggest that you don't work your entire body 3 days a week. Try to split things up, for example.. MonBack/Biceps...Wed-Chest/Triceps/Shoulders...Fri-legs, or something related to that.
    When working out, try doing more weight and less reps if you want to build muscle.
    Also if your hitting a plateau with the weightloss, try upping the weight during your work outs. Dont stick with the same amount of weight each week. Make sure to clean up your diet too, It will help a ton!

Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by txssweetie; 06-19-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    *The best inspiration isn't to out do others...but to out do yourself*

should you do Cardio and Weight training at the same time?'

Thanks for the great feedback. When you say add more weights and less reps will that make bulky or will it help me burn the more fat?This is going to sound stupid but what is HIIT, I am a little new to this. I have seen that word but never the meaning behind it.

luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) luvs2btan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Hey girl...CONGRATS!!! This is what I do...I write down everything I lift and eat. But I usually lift in the mornings b/c the Gym is less packed than the afternoon, and I go do my cardio in the afternoon. You shouldn't do your cardio/lifting back to back. It wears your body down and you are just exausted for the rest of the day. I suggest either lifting in the AM or in the afternoon and do your cardio whenever you get a chance. And if you dont do cardio one day, its no big deal, dont stress over it. At least with my experience thats what I've come to realise. Ive lost 10lbs in 6 weeks. And I have another 10 to go and 6% BF to lose still. So, Ive got a ways. Its good that you set your short term goal for Sept. But whats your long term goal? You should have both, and write down your goals and take PICTURES!! Thats so important. So you can see your result, so when people say "Oh my gosh, you look great" you can believe it, b/c you see it yourself. Good luck in everything that you do. Continue to work out, and dont get stress if you hit that plateau. Everyone hits it. Just work through it, and remember that your closer to your goal than you were yesterday.

SMILE!! You're doing great!!
    Body By Nautilus; Brain By Mattel.

Dont hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because you're not.

Eat....lift...sleep....REPEAT!

****NEW PICS ADDED TO WEBSHOTS****

Smile should you do Cardio and Weight training at the same time?'

You guys rock, thanks. I feel tons better than I did yesterday i was just about to give up. I will most deff. Keep track of my eating and lifting. I will take some pics and track my progess that way.

thanks again!

Hey, no problem.

By adding weight, it WONT make you bulky. A lot of girls seem to believe this, but trust me it wont. It will definately help you burn fat in the long run. It will also give you great muscle definition without making you look "manly."

HIIT is short for High Intensity Interval Training which is done pretty much to get your heart rate way up. Although it wont burn a ton of calories WHILE your doing it, it will burn a ton off AFTER your done with the work out.
    You can perform hiit a lot of ways. The way i do it is walk/slow jog for the first 5 minutes and then sprint for 1-2 minutes and then go back down to a jog for one minute, and so on. You want to keep speeding up faster than the previous sprint. Also if your a beginner, you probably shouldnt do HIIT for more than 21 minutes.
    There are plenty of forums on HIIT. I'm definately not the best at explaining it, but if you need more help on it, search for HIIT and read the newbie sections. they will help out a ton. If you have any more questions, ask! the girls on these forums are awesome and will help you out a lot.

dont give up! your doing great and the female BB forums will help you out a ton!!

russiandoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would say if you absolutely have to do cardio and weights in the same session, do cardio after you lift. During resistance training your body primarily uses glycogen (carbs) for energy, same the first 20 min of cardio ---you are burning glycogen for energy primarily. If you do cardio first, your glycogen stores will be depleted and your body will have to break down muscle for energy when you lift. If you lift first, on the other hand, your glycogen stores become depleted thereafter, and your body will then have to rely mostly on stored body fat for energy during aerobic activity... and you can spare more muscle that way too. (kind of kills two birds with one stone)
    5'2
    114lb
    17%bf

Also if you want an easier way to keep track of food, try fitday.com. It's free and it tells you the amount of calories/grams/and percentages of f/p/c your getting.

chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chimairachik07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i was always told never to do cardio and then lift b/c ur muscle go into some kind of state that im unable to spell and it will actually break down muscle so if you do cardio and lift on the same days you should always lift first or i do cardio first thing in the morning then eat breakfast wait about 2 hours and then lift... hope this helps you.