Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mooney Mania has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Whats better to do to make your biceps big?

Ive seen people at the gym do standing curl bar curls,but ive also seen people do preacher curls,and spider curls with the curle bar.So I was wondering what works better to give you bigger biceps,standing or preacher or spider curls? thanks.

MM

NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do a variety of excercises. Don't just do the same thing. That's my advice.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NightHalcyon View Post
    Oh, crap.

In before everyone says squats and deadlifts.

Doesn't anyone search?
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

CodyRo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CodyRo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CodyRo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Oh, crap.

Doesn't anyone search?
    Comedic gold..

NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightHalcyon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NightHalcyon View Post
    Well, I guess I should have said a variety of "bicep" exercises. Like close-grip barbell curls, scott curls, cable curls, in addition to the standards.

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh, crap.

Doesn't anyone search?
    Make sure you do squats and deadlifts. They make teh gunz puffectly huuuyooooge!!!

I personally also like to do incline hammer curls to swell up my bi's. I don't get DOMS in my bi's unless I stretch them out this way. (I know, DOMS doesn't mean growth, but dammit I wanna feel something the next day)

EDIT: Sorry, I had to mention the squats and deads...even though they do not work your biceps at all and have no bearing on this thread whatsoever...

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by microrahsheen View Post
    ...even though they ... have no bearing on this thread whatsoever...
    So? Let's hijack....

Ever do cross-body hammer curls? Supposed to hit the biceps and the forearms well. As soon as I finish building the gym in my basement, I'll work them into the routine.

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Standing BB or EZ curls + food

microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So? Let's hijack....

Ever do cross-body hammer curls? Supposed to hit the biceps and the forearms well. As soon as I finish building the gym in my basement, I'll work them into the routine.
    Haven't tried yet, but I have seen others doing them. I wanna say those will hit the chest, too...

Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chenz72 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you mean mass when you say big. then you want preacher curls. thats prob the best for the inner head. which is the part of the muscle that makes the bis look thick. make sure you use the wide grip and to hit the biceps from a variety of other angles

Haven't tried yet, but I have seen others doing them. I wanna say those will hit the chest, too...
    Yeah, probably so on heavier sets.
    Maybe a little side lean to offset? Nothing wrong with more chest work though!

Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    recently i have been likign preacher curls with a cable, its awesome.

Thanks for the board Ryan Estopell's Avatar
    Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000) Estopell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Weighted Chins. My Bi's didn't grow much until I did these. Ya can't cheat and their is a full range of motion. Plus it's compound so you hit your shoulders,Lats, upper back, chest and tri's as well.

blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What I'm thinking about doing x1 a week.

x3 Preacher Curls (6-8 reps) do you guys recommend straight bar or EZ?
    x2 Dumbbell Curls on an incline bench (8-10 reps)
    x2 Hammer Curls (across body) (8-10 reps)
    x2 Close Grip EZ Bar curls (10-12 reps)

Anyone got tips, suggestions?
    If life gives you lemons, say **** the lemons and bail.

green_kev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) green_kev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) green_kev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    What I'm thinking about doing x1 a week.

x3 Preacher Curls (6-8 reps) do you guys recommend straight bar or EZ?
    x2 Dumbbell Curls on an incline bench (8-10 reps)
    x2 Hammer Curls (across body) (8-10 reps)
    x2 Close Grip EZ Bar curls (10-12 reps)

Anyone got tips, suggestions?
    This is basicly what I have been doing for a month now, only sub in consentration curls for EZ bar curls. Also on the preachers I use a machein so I can open up my hands and slowly lower the weight, usualy a 4 count, I find this puts a lot more stress on the biceps.

edit, o ya and i train bies 2 times a week.
    Last edited by green_kev; 10-13-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Registered User dethmetalanimal's Avatar
    dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i saw the best results from hammer curls and chin ups

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've seen excellent results with hammer curls and concentration curls.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Yeah, probably so on heavier sets.
    Maybe a little side lean to offset? Nothing wrong with more chest work though!
    Hecks nah! Ain't nothin wrong with a swole chest...LOL.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So? Let's hijack....

They hit the brachialis quite hard and get a good peak contraction. Regular hammer curls emphasize the brachioradialis but cross-body ones hit the brachialis pretty hard, which is good if you need that "peaked" appearance from the back but makes it seem as if your biceps are fuller/longer from the front,even though it doesn't actually elongate the biceps. That's just how it will look because of where the brachialis attaches.

Originally Posted by stealth_swimmer View Post
    They hit the brachialis quite hard and get a good peak contraction. Regular hammer curls emphasize the brachioradialis but cross-body ones hit the brachialis pretty hard, which is good if you need that "peaked" appearance from the back but makes it seem as if your biceps are fuller/longer from the front,even though it doesn't actually elongate the biceps. That's just how it will look because of where the brachialis attaches.
    Iono what u just said, but looking at my pic, are you saying my bicep will "fill out" closer to my elbow?

h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) h2obep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by Estopell View Post
    Weighted Chins. My Bi's didn't grow much until I did these. Ya can't cheat and their is a full range of motion. Plus it's compound so you hit your shoulders,Lats, upper back, chest and tri's as well.
    I'm going to try this.

stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Iono what u just said, but looking at my pic, are you saying my bicep will "fill out" closer to my elbow?
    Yes, or at least it will seem like it. However, for that effect, I would probably recommend traditional hammer curls done straight up and down, and reverse barbell curls...the reverse BB curls are easier on the wrists if you use an EZ bar.

If you'd like, this is a sample biceps routine of something that would emphasize the brachialis and such.

*DB Hammer Curl
    3x10

*Reverse EZ Curl
    3x12-15(going too heavy is still somewhat hard on the wrists, and this exercise does not really need much weight anyways to get the full effects of it)

*DB Preacher Curl
    3x10-12

For the preacher curl, don't do top-range partials like some, that will emphasize the biceps and not the brachialis. Make sure you go down to the full range, but don't totally straighten the arms cus that will put strain on the connective tissues. At the bottom of the rep,the arm should be slightly bent. I also recommend using DBs cus then you can use whichever width to keep your arms apart that suits you best and gives you the best contraction.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I had to do a one stop shop for bi's I would say spider curls hands down. Continuous tension throughout the entire range of motion. Preacher curls stress the bis at the bottom of the movement but not much at the top. Standing curls stress the bis mid range but don't do much at the top nor bottom of the movement. Spider curls are the best of both worlds without the weaknesses of either.

Yes, or at least it will seem like it. However, for that effect, I would probably recommend traditional hammer curls done straight up and down, and reverse barbell curls...the reverse BB curls are easier on the wrists if you use an EZ bar.
    Any reason these can't be done with DB's?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Any reason these can't be done with DB's?
    Too hard to keep the dbs in the right position when doing reverse curls. Especially when you begin to go heavier.

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    Too hard to keep the dbs in the right position when doing reverse curls. Especially when you begin to go heavier.
    What up, DD? I actually saw you post something about the reverse curls previously and figured they could fill out my bi's.

Guess I will have to roll with the straight bar and see how it goes.

Thx stealth...

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    beat me to it.

What up, DD? I actually saw you post something about the reverse curls previously and figured they could fill out my bi's.

Guess I will have to roll with the straight bar and see how it goes.

Thx stealth...
    no problem

If it's harsh on the wrists though, then go ahead and use the EZ bar.

beat me to it.

no problem

If it's harsh on the wrists though, then go ahead and use the EZ bar.
    I work out at home and unless I find an ezbar for the low-low, I'm stuck for now. Hopefully I don't have any wrist issues with the straight bar...

I work out at home and unless I find an ezbar for the low-low, I'm stuck for now. Hopefully I don't have any wrist issues with the straight bar...
    Make sure to start of with light weight and keep the wrists straight through the lift. Not bent down or too far up either. Just a natural alignment but you'll have to keep them very stiff and rigid. Also, don't do it explosively like normal BB curls. Go slow from start to finish until ya get the hang of it.

Make sure to start of with light weight and keep the wrists straight through the lift. Not bent down or too far up either. Just a natural alignment but you'll have to keep them very stiff and rigid. Also, don't do it explosively like normal BB curls. Go slow from start to finish until ya get the hang of it.
    Cool. Thanks for the tips.