ES13Raven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Best pain reliever for muscle soreness...

For general muscle soreness 24-48 hours after a workout, what is the best pain reliever?

I have heard that Aleve (naproxen) and Advil (ibuprofen) are good, but is one better than the other?

Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Chris A is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    why would you want to relieve the pain it feels good!

whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whitesox3223 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    NSAIDS are no good. use seldomly...

idk what would work good though. cissus quadrangularis is an anti-inflammatory and you can find that in the bb.com store. idk if that helps muscle soreness though
    RIP Wesley aka Iron Addict

Overtraining: What it is and what it isn't. And why you've stalled.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1715261

Paulie_Pecs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Paulie_Pecs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Paulie_Pecs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking No Pain NO Gain

Just tuff it out. Aleve (naproxen) and Advil (ibuprofen) are really bad for any one who works out. What the do is retard the muscle from growing by reducing the swelling and normal process of healing. Just think the pain you feel is growing pain before you take a pill.
    The Body Builders Moto
    We are made in the image of God, so why are there so many slobs and gluttons running around. Think of us as crazy for wanting to be monstrous warriors. Is not the depiction of God, the ultimate Power and Might with a heart kindness and Gold for all his children.

Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unfortunately, as I have found out, toughing it out (I am referring to significant levels of pain) is not a viable solution because to do so can potentially set one up for a chronic pain syndrome!

Hipointalso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Carl123 View Post
    Unfortunately, as I have found out, toughing it out (I am referring to significant levels of pain) is not a viable solution because to do so can potentially set one up for a chronic pain syndrome!
    A piece of advice, Carl...

I'm 62, ex-Marine and have been training heavy for years and years.

Many people look at this pain killer issue as a constant with one solution or the other (either take pain relievers, perhaps as detrimental to muscle gain or DON'T take them). This viewpoint is incorrect. The proper treatment is fluid, not fixed.

Example:

Last night I went to the gym, hadn't done overhead presses for a couple of months. I went heavy for 3 sets to failure... Forget DOMS, I was sore as hell this morning from last night's effort ! Aleve was the only thing that could touch it. Pain gone within 30 minutes.

NOW... That the original "wake up the muscle group" PAIN is done, I will continue to work the muscle for growth. If I continue to work that muscle group consistently, the pain will be nowhere near the "wake up" pain and will be manageable without pain relievers.

I DO NOT HESITATE to take OTC pain relievers to get through that "wake up" pain, but don't take them after that first pain is done with.

So, the sensible answer is: "TAKE PRs and then DON'T take them". Make sense??

Two different TYPES of pain, two solutions.