redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Tricep dips hurt chest more than arms

I was doing assisted tricep dips the other day (first time I have tried these). I had the machine assisting me with 50kg (110lbs) upward pressure.

But I found it was effecting my chest more than my triceps.

This may have been because I had just finished working the chest, or it may have been because I was performing them incorrectly.

How far are you supposed to lower yourself down? Could anyone give me any tips on this please?
    GOALS for 2009:
    `````````````````````````````
    6 x 90kg (198lbs) bench & 1x100kg (220lbs)
    6 x 120kg (264lbs) deadlift
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Assisted dips are somewhat inferior for various reasons....

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    Dips can put a lot of pressure on the sternoclavicular joints. This can be a real problem with poor form (I'll explain this) and trying to add too much weight too soon.

One of the keys to dipping safely is not allowing your shoulders to slump which puts more pressure on joints that connect the sternum to the collarbones along with the sternum itself. Keep the shoulders back by pushing the chest out and don't descend on a deflated chest. Breathe properly.

Here are some tips that have worked well for me (dipping 4 plates for reps @ 255 bw) and a list of where injuries can occur:

* don't dip below parallel (until you've got the flexibility)
    * breathe in as you descend to avoid lowering yourself on a deflated chest
    * keep your chest out and don't slump your shoulders
    * lower yourself under control and avoid dipping "to failure"
    * take your time increasing the weight and listen to your body (back the weight off or take a break from the exercise if you're experiencing soreness)
    Sternum. This involves the cartilage where the ribs connect to the sternum. Everyone experiences this one at some point, especially when starting out. Keep the chest filled with air on the way down, shoulders back, only dipping within the limits of your flexibility (for some this will be to parallel). Ease off the weight or put the exercise on hold if it persists.

Sternoclavicular joints. Pain in the collarbone area, specifically below the neck. Once again, chest filled with air and shoulders back so you're not dipping on a caved in chest which puts more stress on these joints. Go to a safe depth. If there's persistent pain there, back off the weight or drop the exercise for a while.

AC joint. This will feel manifest itself as persistent pain or tenderness in the front delt area. I've experienced it from dipping heavy for long periods without backing off. If you push it too hard a separation can occur. This is a common pressing injury and when it's serious it can put your training on ice for a long time.

Pec tendon. Pain at the front of the armpit. This is where the pec tendon inserts into the humerus. Pain there means "back the f*ck up." Very common on bench but also applies to dips, especially if you train them heavy at low reps. If it feels tender, you need to take a break from heavy pressing involving the chest. If you keep pushing it, the damage could range from a strained pec to a full rupture of the tendon, the latter usually requiring immediate surgery and you could be sidelined for 6 months.

TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRYIN2GETBIG88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ur probably doing them wrong

redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JoeRockhead View Post
    Thanks!

That's probably why I had a pain in my shoulder afterwards when I tried doing CGBP. whoops.

I'll remember that for next wednesday.
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

adam.neubauer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam.neubauer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam.neubauer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam.neubauer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam.neubauer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam.neubauer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Red Rabbit,

I would first suggest that you do not use the assist machine but rather go to the aparatus itself to perform dips. Judging by your height and weight, you can probably do this. Start with your own body weight, then throw a dumbell between your legs and move up.

Secondly, you should keep your head up and your elbows in to target the tricep. Additionally, try to go as far down as you can (forearm touching bicep) without hurting your elbows. Be careful not to sway, and FOCUS on pushing directly toward the ceiling. We have a tendancy to push outwardly when doing dips, thus placing on emphasis on the chest (not the goal). Hopefully your gym has a tapered dip aparatus. The bars on which you place your hands are shaped like a 'V' (when viewed from above). This allows you to place your hands more toward the apex of the 'V'; thus, allowing you to keep your elbows in.

Thirdly, you since you are doing chest directly before dips, you will always feel it in your chest no matter how much you target your triceps. It is impossible to completely negate chest in dips.

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How far down are you going? If you are leaning forward, try to stay upright and this will put more emphasis on the tris.

Adam - thanks for the great advice. The assisted machine allows you to remove the support part so you are unsupported, but I don't think the gym has a V shaped thing, I'll have a look though. To be honest I'm not sure I could really do many unassisted tricep dips, probably only 2 or 3. Is it even worth doing this many?

Johnsbod - I was going all the way down so my arm pits were in line with where my hands were placed. I think that may be too far though having viewed a few videos.

Thanks for the advice.
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There are different ways to do this exercise, but as a rule, if you are able to do them without the assitance machine, then avoid it.

It you lean in a little and allow your elbows to flare, as well as go as deep as you can, this will mostly target the lower chest.

If you stay quite upright, try to keep the elbows in, it should hit your tri's more.

Remember, with exercises like this, the MMC is pivotal. Especially if you're new to this exercise, don't give up, keep at it, vary your posture and work on the MMC until you get it. I know that there are many exercises that took me months to really get to work for me.
    Every journey begins with a single step.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try some of those things out next time.
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by redrabbit View Post
    Johnsbod - I was going all the way down so my arm pits were in line with where my hands were placed. I think that may be too far though having viewed a few videos.

Thanks for the advice.
    For most people, that's too low and it explains the pain in your chest. Try for about a 90 degree angle at the elbows and you should be fine.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by JoeRockhead View Post
    This is a dumb comment. He's complaining about injury. If an assisted dip will hurt you, a normal one will also. The only possibility is if it's altering his form. It's probably a good idea to practise on this if you're not sure if you can do a normal one.

That beng said, definately sounds like too much RoM, so maybe doing normal dips with really limited RoM and slowly increasing it is better.

JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeRockhead will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    This is a dumb comment. He's complaining about injury.
    Please point out where you read that in the original post because I am not seeing it. I see that he did add a comment about pain after I posted.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A similar question was asked:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5037923

Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting used to the movement.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

TOMAX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if your isolating your triceps, do bench dips instead. you isolate only the tricep and move only your body weight. its so important to lockout your elbows and hold for 3 seconds. if this dont work, nothing will

XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000) XNick EdgeX is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, it's possible you're going to low, and maybe leaning forward to much.
    *** http://www.AnaxMethods.com/ ***

*Controlled Labs Sponsored Natural Athlete

*Instagram - @xnickedgex

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    This is a dumb comment. He's complaining about injury.
    I'm not injured, I just found that tricep dips targetted my chest much more than my triceps.
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio