Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

DE non-box squats

The room at my gym where the cages & boxes are was closed yesterday, so I did 9 sets of 3 speed squats w/o a box. You guys ever try this? I only used 135 b/c I wanted to see just how fast I could go. Holy sh!t I was rockin!! I could do 3 reps in under 3 sec below parallel, w/o bouncing. Is this called ballistic (or is that bouncing?). Anyways, it gave me a helluva stimulation in my legs. I was pretty shocked at how much faster it was than box squats - which I had previously done with 185. Then I did 3x8 GM and 3x8 SLDL.

If you're wondering why I did it on thurs it's cause I had to take Wed off. Got to gym and my elbow still hurt like hell from the sprain (hyperextended it on DE bench). For the last 3 weeks I felt like it was getting better, then I do ME bench and it hurts like sh!t all over again, so I thought I'd better take at least a week off.
    405/275/495 @ 181 lbs BW

!Karins Xtreme Powerwear! Deejay_Spike's Avatar
    Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: DE non-box squats

Originally posted by Antaeus
    The room at my gym where the cages & boxes are was closed yesterday, so I did 9 sets of 3 speed squats w/o a box. You guys ever try this? I only used 135 b/c I wanted to see just how fast I could go. Holy sh!t I was rockin!! I could do 3 reps in under 3 sec below parallel, w/o bouncing. Is this called ballistic (or is that bouncing?). Anyways, it gave me a helluva stimulation in my legs. I was pretty shocked at how much faster it was than box squats - which I had previously done with 185. Then I did 3x8 GM and 3x8 SLDL.
    1) DE squat is done with 2 reps
    2) no i don't do non-boxes.

btw : what you did was bouncing and would probably lead to an injury someday as you would go heavier in weights... also, boxes provide better form (not to say perfect) then free squats
    ALSO : the fact that you only used 135 instead of 185 may have given you a false idea of the speed. remember, that's 50 (!) lbs less, that's a huge difference. and you have to use a certain percentage for the exercise to be fully effective. okay, 135 is 40% of your max actually, but if you have good speed with 185... stick with the higher number... to me, using less that 50% is for people who REALLY have to learn how to get fast (i.e. years of slow bb reps)

Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Antaeus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Re: DE non-box squats

Originally posted by Deejay_Spike

2) no i don't do non-boxes.

btw : what you did was bouncing and would probably lead to an injury someday as you would go heavier in weights... also, boxes provide better form (not to say perfect) then free squats
    ALSO : the fact that you only used 135 instead of 185 may have given you a false idea of the speed. remember, that's 50 (!) lbs less, that's a huge difference. and you have to use a certain percentage for the exercise to be fully effective. okay, 135 is 40% of your max actually, but if you have good speed with 185... stick with the higher number... to me, using less that 50% is for people who REALLY have to learn how to get fast (i.e. years of slow bb reps)
    heh, ya I thought I'd do 3 cause I wasn't using a box. Is it really bouncing if I don't touch my glutes to my calves?

I have great speed coming up with 185, but it takes me a second to set before I sit back on the box, and I don't go down that fast. Is it ok if just the concentric is really explosive?
    405/275/495 @ 181 lbs BW

Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Re: Re: DE non-box squats

Originally posted by Antaeus
    I have great speed coming up with 185, but it takes me a second to set before I sit back on the box, and I don't go down that fast. Is it ok if just the concentric is really explosive?

that'll come with the experience, so for now yeah. just see that the eccentric part is controlled (don't slam onto the box. not healty). and make the concentric explosive.

Lift4Strength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you run into the same issue again, try pause squats.

Same deal, 8 to 10 sets of 2. Same wieght as box squats.

Squat down to your normal squat depth, and pause there for a count of 3, then explode up.

Originally posted by Lift4Strength

Squat down to your normal squat depth, and pause there for a count of 3, then explode up.
    problem is, you don't quite get to relax your hip flexors, and i think the pause puts a lot of stress on the knees and the rest. when you're in a meet you don't pause there for 3 seconds either

Originally posted by Lift4Strength

Ok I'll try that. I see what DJ means though...
    405/275/495 @ 181 lbs BW

Lift4Strength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Absolutely - they are not going to be the same as box squats, but they do help with your strength out of the hole, as well as speed.

The weight shoudl be light enough not to cause issues with joints.

Hotter than your mom Mr. Awesome's Avatar
    Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Deejay_Spike View Post
    What's DE squat?
    It's not about how much you look like you can bench, it's about how much you can bench.

Anyone saying the opposite is an admirer of Peter Andre.

[img]http://rassionmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/peter_andre.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000664C7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/peter_andre.jpg[/img]

blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blancodiablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome View Post
    What's DE squat?
    Dynamic effort
    Gotta shoot a load in the party zone!

blood&sweat&many blisters endymion88's Avatar
    endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i like de squats without the box. did it my first time last week and they felt great. also annihilated my legs.

Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomo25mcr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

hello

dynamic effort so what exactly does that mean? your hardest effort? only asking because i havent heard of this term before
    TOMMY-T

endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) endymion88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tomo25mcr View Post
    dynamic effort so what exactly does that mean? your hardest effort? only asking because i havent heard of this term before
    dynamic=speed ..
    soo speed squats.

Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's DE squat?
    Huh?

How did you find this thread with out searching and how did you search for it with out knowing what it was?
    Last edited by Jason2459; 01-11-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    My Training Journal: http://tinyurl.com/jasons-journal
    My Video Training Journal: www.youtube.com/user/jason24590
    08/17:245,185,275 02/18:345,275,380
    06/18:405;315,455
    goal: hit previous SBD #s again 524,364,562
    current meet PRs: ---/---/--- ---

What NorthStrong's sig. says

Mensch Status Achieved samsuperjew's Avatar
    samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samsuperjew is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    MOre importantly, why reply to an 8 year old thread?

oh my jesus i didn't look at the year lol!

StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50) StayfQ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Actually I was going to create a similar thread, so this solves that problem. Who here now (not in 02), does free standing dynamic effort squats? I've noticed my squat speed is complete garbage, and was wondering if there would be any changes doing dynamic effort work raw and not on a box.

Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Mr. Awesome is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Jason2459 View Post
    Huh?

How did you find this thread with out searching and how did you search for it with out knowing what it was?
    I found it by searching, I was searching because I saw the abbreviation.
    It's not about how much you look like you can bench, it's about how much you can bench.

[img]http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/peter_andre.jpg[/img]

Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I found it by searching, I was searching because I saw the abbreviation.
    So you decided to skip the first 500 pages of results on DE Box squats and went straight for the one from 2002 that really didn't explain anything about what dynamic effort was?

P.S. you don't need to reply. That was more of a statement then a question.

Originally Posted by StayfQ View Post
    Actually I was going to create a similar thread, so this solves that problem. Who here now (not in 02), does free standing dynamic effort squats? I've noticed my squat speed is complete garbage, and was wondering if there would be any changes doing dynamic effort work raw and not on a box.
    I know several guys that do non-box squating in each method (DE/RE/ME). Do what you feel you need to work on the most.

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Jesse Kellum used to do DE squats without a box. He did alright I guess.

Originally Posted by Arlecchino View Post
    Jesse Kellum used to do DE squats without a box. He did alright I guess.
    who?

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    who?
    nobody worth noticing.

So you decided to skip the first 500 pages of results on DE Box squats and went straight for the one from 2002 that really didn't explain anything about what dynamic effort was?

P.S. you don't need to reply. That was more of a statement then a question.
    It was one of the first threads on the list.

And it was a question, it had a question mark at the end. If it was a statement, it was a false one anyway.

Registered User rancid_theclash's Avatar
    rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000)
    This thread got me wondering about something....
    I read this somewhere regarding SPEED squats

"in general olympic squats build reversable strength, glute and posterior chain strength, and good flexibility. Box squats also achieve the same thing except reversable strength, and balance/flexibility to a lesser degree, however box squat build better explosive strength and starting strength if done in an explosive manner (speed squats) which are not possible with olympic style squats"

1.Is this true?
    2.will doing oly style squats be good for dynamic effort....or are they just a waste of time?.
    3. does dynamic effort box squats carry over to oly squats or vice versa (do speed oly squats carry over to max effort squats done low bar/ high bar?

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes you can do speed squats with out box squatting.
    ***Georgia Crew***

Registered User rancid_theclash's Avatar
    rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SPFjudge View Post
    Yes you can do speed squats with out box squatting.
    lol, decent thanks dude.