No pain, no (weight) loss Badfrog's Avatar
    Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Falling back during heavy squats

Anyone here ever fallen backwards pushing themselves on a heavy squat? When you can't get the weight back up and to the rack do you just drop down in the cage till the spotters catch it or what? TIA

MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    are you in a power rack? if so i just set the pins to where if you get in trouble you can just drop down and drop the weight on them. if you're not and you get in a lot of trouble and nobody is around just drop the weight off the back of your shoulders. better to make a big noise than to hurt yourself.

JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JBspring85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If its a constant problem try doing front squats.

Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Badfrog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MT!
    are you in a power rack? if so i just set the pins to where if you get in trouble you can just drop down and drop the weight on them. if you're not and you get in a lot of trouble and nobody is around just drop the weight off the back of your shoulders. better to make a big noise than to hurt yourself.
    Reason why I'm asking is I need a rack and with the height restrictions a squat rack is my best option. The one I'm looking at has solid spotters but it's not going to be as good as a power cage. People have raised the question about falling back but I can't see myself doing so. Only the Titan Power Cage would fit my basement but it is more expensive and I'd have to have it shipped 234lbs of it.

failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i go to failure with every set so when i do squats and i cant get up i have to drop onto the bar take the plates of and load again it gets anoying after the sixth set but its worth it

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    man i have ben squattin since freshman year in high school, 8 years now, and i have never fallen backwards.

John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A couple of blokes at my gym squat with a small wooden block against they're heal to prevent it.
    2nd place is the 1st loser.

Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was just gonna suggest that. It doesn't seem like much of a difference though.
    There's only one thing I hate more than working out: being skinny.

Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think I've ever fallen straight backwards before. Usually if I go too heavy, I just have to let the bar down on the squat rack, and I basically end up leaning too far forward. Falling backwards could be very dangerous actually, if I ever feel myself unbalanced I force myself forwards and just squat down and let it down, never try to push it beyond your strength.
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    I fell backwards one time, and at the time I only had a half cage (really, a rack with some catches that jutted out, so if you missed you could lean forward and dump the bar, but nothing behind you at all. The bar went flying and so did I. Bent my best bar too. In reality, I was probably better off, because in a full cage the bar would have still been behind me and I would have landed on it. The way it fell out of this other rack, it hit the ground and rolled away.

You should check out NY Barbell- they have some lower cages. I have one of their full racks and it's pretty nice. I've dumped 600+ on the rails a few times and they have held up. Here's a link to one thats only $209, and free shipping: http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/92565.html

Originally Posted by Shotput15
    I don't think I've ever fallen straight backwards before. Usually if I go too heavy, I just have to let the bar down on the squat rack, and I basically end up leaning too far forward. Falling backwards could be very dangerous actually, if I ever feel myself unbalanced I force myself forwards and just squat down and let it down, never try to push it beyond your strength.
    Yeah, I would think that it would hurt you real bad to fall backwards squating and you'd do everything in your power not to. Couple of people had raised the possible falling backwards while squating issue in the equipment section and I wanted to see if others felt the same. Sounds like I should be fine with an open rack with good spotters.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Danimal
    I fell backwards one time, and at the time I only had a half cage (really, a rack with some catches that jutted out, so if you missed you could lean forward and dump the bar, but nothing behind you at all. The bar went flying and so did I. Bent my best bar too. In reality, I was probably better off, because in a full cage the bar would have still been behind me and I would have landed on it. The way it fell out of this other rack, it hit the ground and rolled away.

You should check out NY Barbell- they have some lower cages. I have one of their full racks and it's pretty nice. I've dumped 600+ on the rails a few times and they have held up. Here's a link to one thats only $209, and free shipping: http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/92565.html

new york barbells..... :/ .... they take forever to ship products out of state
    <->

BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I fell forward on front squats not too long ago. Safety catches caught the bar. The floor caught my face

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    new york barbells..... :/ .... they take forever to ship products out of state
    Really? I've ordered from them a couple times- my cage, and a cambered bar another time, both times got my item in less than a week. I'm on the east coast so maybe that helps, but I was actually impressed with how fast I got my stuff from them.

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Badfrog
    Anyone here ever fallen backwards pushing themselves on a heavy squat? When you can't get the weight back up and to the rack do you just drop down in the cage till the spotters catch it or what? TIA

u shouldn't be squatting with that weight then
    Chicks dig big calves

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Danimal
    Really? I've ordered from them a couple times- my cage, and a cambered bar another time, both times got my item in less than a week. I'm on the east coast so maybe that helps, but I was actually impressed with how fast I got my stuff from them.
    it's been 2 weeks and they havn't even shipped my ab straps yet
    <->

BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    it's been 2 weeks and they havn't even shipped my ab straps yet
    ab straps?? For that crazy janda or whatever situp?

Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I haven't had that happen yet ~although once I was box squatting, couldn't get back up and had to ask for help~totally embarassing.
    What worries me about throwing the weight off to the rack pins is the feeling that the bar will hit my back and ass on the way down~which would seem to cause much hurt. Plus how do you let it go and get your arms out of the way?
    What is the safest way to throw the weight onto the pins? Do you drop and fall forward fast or what?
    I need to practice this with bar weight, I guess.
    they got out the car, first chick came up with a bottle and i got it off her, second chick smashed bottle on my face resulting in lights out for her
    the guy came up and punched me in the right eye, which also resulted in lights out.
    he got in his car, ran over my mates brother
    I got home and shaved me head.....
    .....I GOT HOME AND SHAVED ME HEAD.....
    Ehudd

Spoon pic? Fork Vid.
    I win, go fuk yourself.
    April 12, 2008

Originally Posted by Gabrielle
    I haven't had that happen yet ~although once I was box squatting, couldn't get back up and had to ask for help~totally embarassing.
    What worries me about throwing the weight off to the rack pins is the feeling that the bar will hit my back and ass on the way down~which would seem to cause much hurt. Plus how do you let it go and get your arms out of the way?
    What is the safest way to throw the weight onto the pins? Do you drop and fall forward fast or what?
    I need to practice this with bar weight, I guess.
    I cant really explain it, you just dump it back

leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) leggatt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had 405 on the bar and tried going well below parallel on the 6th rep and as soo as I hit parallel there was no stopping the weight. I just went straight down and the cage caught the weight and I fell backwards when the weight came off my shoulders. No big deal but that is what the rack is for. I don't think that you should try and fall forwards as you could really round off your spine, if you hit total failure just go straight down in the rack. If you have no rack, drop it off your back.

John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thing is though if you ease the weight into the power rack when you know your failing, your knees could buckle and get seriously ****ed up if the locks aren't at the right notch.
    I suppose the answer is;

Don't fail.
    2nd place is the 1st loser.

Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gabrielle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John Fenwick
    Thing is though if you ease the weight into the power rack when you know your failing, your knees could buckle and get seriously ****ed up if the locks aren't at the right notch.
    I suppose the answer is;

Don't fail.
    See, that's what I'M thinkin' lol
    they got out the car, first chick came up with a bottle and i got it off her, second chick smashed bottle on my face resulting in lights out for her
    the guy came up and punched me in the right eye, which also resulted in lights out.
    he got in his car, ran over my mates brother
    I got home and shaved me head.....
    .....I GOT HOME AND SHAVED ME HEAD.....
    Ehudd

Spoon pic? Fork Vid.
    I win, go fuk yourself.
    April 12, 2008

Originally Posted by leggatt
    I had 405 on the bar and tried going well below parallel on the 6th rep and as soo as I hit parallel there was no stopping the weight. I just went straight down and the cage caught the weight and I fell backwards when the weight came off my shoulders. No big deal but that is what the rack is for. I don't think that you should try and fall forwards as you could really round off your spine, if you hit total failure just go straight down in the rack. If you have no rack, drop it off your back.
    Failing that way is not a problem, the bar hardly even hits the rack pins. The problem is if you lose balance at the top or something strange happens and the bar has a long way to fall. Thats what happened with me, I was nearly locked out and lost my balance or something stupid. The bar probably fell 5'. It didn't hit me though. You can move pretty fast when 400lbs is falling behind you!

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Squats aren't as dangerous as people make them IMHO, even without a cage. I've been close to falling back (specialy when going A2G) but usualy am capable of regaining my balance. And even if I'm not, I just quickly take my hands off the bar and lean slightly, and the bar falls down behind me. Noisy, yes, but who cares?

Originally Posted by BRADP2
    ab straps?? For that crazy janda or whatever situp?
    atrainers lat shrugs
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    atrainers lat shrugs
    Link?

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I suggest learning how to squat correctly.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FortifiedIron
    I suggest learning how to squat correctly.

Kc

exactly, I can't believe some of the response here" I've almost falling down" well ****, doesn't that tell you something is wrong? geeeez people
    Chicks dig big calves