popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cortisol and catabolic effects.

Just though I'd share this with you: (My own work btw, information that I have gathered from various gym trainers, biology teachers, etc...)!

INTRODUCTION:

Cortisol (a catabolic or muscle-destroying hormone) is the enemy of all us muscle builders. Ever been completely fatigued after an hour working out or so, even though your muscles are still capable of lifting? If you have, you have experienced the effects of cortisol first hand. Cortisol is the reason that most trainers recommend that workouts last for an hour or less. Infact, studies have shown that cortisol levels increase and test levels decrease even after 45minutes of heavy lifting (especially if compound movements are being used!).

Cortisol is a catabolic hormone, meaning that it can lead to elevated body fat aswell as muscle breakdown.

WHY DO WE RELEASE CORTISOL:

Cortisol's effects in the short term are actually positive. These include increased strength, increased concentration, increased heart and breathing rate. We secrete cortisol when we get nervous, because some of it's short term effects can be beneficial in various situations (street fights, for example ).

As you get anxious or nervous about exams or a job interview, cortisol is being released. When you are about to ask the hottest chick in your class for her phone number, you obviously start to shake and sweat a little. Guess what, this is another example of cortisol's influence on every day life.

WAHT CAN WE DO ABOUT CORTISOL?

As mentioned in the introduction, cortisol's long-term effects are disasterous for the bodybuilder. So what can we do to limit the levels of cortisol in our bodies?

1. BE CALM. Getting stressed will raise levels dramatically.

2. KEEP WORKOUTS OF REASONABLE LENGTH. i.e. not much more than 1 hour.

3. ANTI-CATABOLIC supplements are available. Some protein shakes and multivitamins say that they have ant-catabolic properties.

One final note: cortisol suppresants are available, and these actually work hormonally to prevent cortisol release and allow someone to train harder (and longer) without the effects of cortisol. These are illegal without prescription to the best of my knowledge so I am in no way suggesting the use of any such product.

Thanks

phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good read.....I didn't know any of that

thx
    true protein.com (no space)
    Highest quality supplements for the lowest prices. No joke. Check it out!
    Use the discount code "AXM421" to save an extra 5%!

Registered User thefifthfreedom's Avatar
    thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50) thefifthfreedom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im just curious but is cortisol and cortisone the same thing?

i had to take two cortisone shots when i messed up my shoulder (it was almost dislocated) in wrestling to help healing and make the pain go away

BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BobThePotato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thefifthfreedom

i had to take two cortisone shots when i messed up my shoulder (it was almost dislocated) in wrestling to help healing and make the pain go away
    What is cortisone?

Cortisone is a type of steroid that is produced naturally by a gland in your body called the adrenal gland. Cortisone is released from the adrenal gland when your body is under stress. Natural cortisone is released into the blood stream and is relatively short-acting.

Injectible cortisone is synthetically produced and has many different trade names (e.g. Celestone, Kenalog, etc.), but is a close derivative of your body's own product. The most significant differences are that synthetic cortisone is not injected into the blood stream, but into a particular area of inflammation. Also, the synthetic cortisone is designed to act more potently and for a longer period of time (days instead of minutes).
    Cortisone steroid drugs mimic the effect of high cortisol levels.

InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thefifthfreedom
    The glucocorticoids include cortisol (hydrocortisone), corticosterone and cortisone.

Cortisol is the most abundant.

It is responsible for ~95% of glucocorticoid activity.
    Don't take anyone else's definition of success as your own.

Squat like an animal, eat like a horse, sleep like a baby, grow like a weed.

InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InTeNsIFieR is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by popeye_99
    Cortisol is a catabolic hormone, meaning that it can lead to elevated body fat aswell as muscle breakdown.
    Glucocorticoids stimulate lipolysis. (The breakdown of triglycerides and release of fatty acids from adipose tissue into the blood.)

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah... being catabolic and causing higher BF levels are opposing events.

is d-bol a good steroid?? MrTestosterone's Avatar
    MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good post buddy, I've heard some of that information before, very good article!!

Excuse me, I'm new here, but why has he got 'banned' written under his username?

Tired of being human RedFiredSoul's Avatar
    RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RedFiredSoul has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MrTestosterone
    Good post buddy, I've heard some of that information before, very good article!!

Excuse me, I'm new here, but why has he got 'banned' written under his username?

cos hes banned.
    Love is real. Be with those who love you.

phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10) phrozen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just read in a flex magazine that cortisol is an anticatabolic hormone?

wtf?
    true protein.com (no space)
    Highest quality supplements for the lowest prices. No joke. Check it out!
    Use the discount code "AXM421" to save an extra 5%!

MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTestosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by phrozen
    I just read in a flex magazine that cortisol is an anticatabolic hormone?

wtf?
    I read in flex that Cell Tech is good aswell!!!!
    I am a troll. Feel free to feed me.

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    If it encourages fat storage, it is anticatabolic (anabolic)... Dunno if it is or not.

Originally Posted by Boridi
    If it encourages fat storage, it is anticatabolic (anabolic)... Dunno if it is or not.
    If it encourages fat storage, it is CATABOLIC
    Ant-catabolic (anabolic) hormones encourage fat burning, that's why juicers can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time!
    I am a troll. Feel free to feed me.

You're wrong.

ca·tab·o·lism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-tb-lzm)
    n.
    The metabolic breakdown of complex molecules into simpler ones, often resulting in a release of energy.

burning fat, burning muscle, burning glycogen

a·nab·o·lism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-nb-lzm)
    n.
    The phase of metabolism in which simple substances are synthesized into the complex materials of living tissue.

storing fat, building muscle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolism
    Last edited by Boridi; 06-09-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Cortisol is catabolic and does not encourage fat storage.

It promotes lipolysis.

Insulin, on the other hand is anabolic and encourages fat storage.