BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Widening Shoulders

Ok, most who've lifted for a while probably know the common advice that to widen shoulders, do DB lateral lifts.

The question is this --- what info. does anyone have that this is fact and not myth?

I ask for 3 reasons:
    1. For the last year, my first real year in doing heavy freeweight lifting, I grew my shoulders mostly from shoulder presses directly and indirectly thru benching. My shoulders got bigger and wider....though genetically I am pretty sure my arms and shoulders grow faster based on past results.

2. I read a lot about doing laterals to widen shoulders in the hardcore BB mags (Muscle and Fitness, FLEX, etc.), but whenever I read the more moderate mags (Men's Fitness, Men's Health) with all the strength coaches, they claim laterals don't make shoulders wider. There's also generally lots of advice to lift heavier with pressing movements, upright rows, and snatches/pursh-presses.

3. Many powerlifters have huge shoulders, and they generally don't do laterals, but concentrate on the above mentioned presses and snatches/cleans.

==================

So weigh in and give me your advice, whether you're a BB, weight lifter, or powerlifter?????

the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_muss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Compound movements will always increase size more than isolation. So I believe military press is best or size and shoulder width. However, doing side laterals certainly adds a good shape and clearly pumps the delts and gives the appearance of a ledge either side of the traps.

Why can't you involve both exercises in to your routine - most people do?
    ========================================

Need for perfection.

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My answer would be to do a mixture of all those movements. Something that has worked for me is the pre exhaust principle, for example start with laterals for 4 sets then move on to the pressing exercises. Also throw in some upright rows and trap work. Get the cardio down too to cut the waist all in all making your shoulders look wider. Peace.

markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "The hardest part in lifting, is NOT to lift..." - Me

First meet results:
    Squat 140kg (+15kg PR)
    Bench 130kg (+10kg PR)
    Deadlift 185kg (+25kg PR)

Second meet results:
    Squat 175kg (+5kg PR)
    Bench 140kg (= PR)
    Deadlift 210kg (+5kg PR)

BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    muss - I do side laterals and rear laterals. It's just that I hate them and I've never made as much gains in shoulder mass from side laterals (rear delt flys have done wonders for my back delts but i've recently learned rear BB rows to the neck allow for more weight)....but I got some great replies and perspectives including yours. I'm only past my 1 year mark, so my personal results probably wouldn't show side laterals giving the sculpting results more experienced lifters have seen, now that I mull over it more.

It's just my own approach, but I tend to concentrate on gaining as much mass as I can and worry about sculpting once the gains slow down and if the gains need shaping (sometimes they don't for me with shoulders). Being so new, I am still gaining pretty well for now...and with my shoulders, I've been pretty fortunate, because with the shoulder mass has naturally come width.
    Last edited by BF2002; 10-09-2007 at 04:23 AM.