Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

how long should my workout be?

i hope that this isnt' to vague of a question here. before i was working out for about 2 hours...now i'm tryin to stick to an hour and a half. this is so i can lift only 4 times a week, i don't have all the time in the world, though i wish i did. So, my question is, how long should my workout be? if i workout an hour and a half on 3 different body parts, is this hurting me at all?

also, if workout lenght is not a concern, don't be shy to tell me so, the moreinfo on this topic the better

thanks

NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What are you training for bro?

In general, you wanna try to keep lifting sessions as close to an hour as possible, but often that doesn't happen. A lot of guys go over an hour and do fine. I'd say 2 hours is overdoing it though, no more than an hour and a half. If you're going that long and rest plenty between sets, try making the rest periods shorter.

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if you are doing 3 parts a day an hour and a half is ok. for a single part 45 should be max
    The body is lazy, unless you give it a reason to grow it won't

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NickSpinnat03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by genepool View Post
    if you are doing 3 parts a day an hour and a half is ok. for a single part 45 should be max
    Tim!?

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    that would be me

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

Soon to be Dr. WTF westtexasfury's Avatar
    westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Studies show/suggest that working out for more than an 1 1/2 hours at a time lowers testosterone levels 12 hours later.
    These levels stay low for about 24 hours if no strenuous exercise is exerted during this time.
    If strenuous exercise is exerted, low levels can last 36-48 hours, assuming that the following workouts lasted less than 1 1/2 hours.

And I assume that everyone on here knows that testosterone is one of the driving forces for increased muscle strength/growth.
    Current: 205 lbs walking, 195 lbs catchweight fighting

Goal: 220 lbs walking, 205 lbs Fighting

iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iatethebunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a question, why should the workout time be so short is it because to long and you will become catabolic. And if that is the case can you bring a meal replacement drink and sip on it through out the workout.
    Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice. From what I have tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire. Robert Frost

Registered User Definitelynotme's Avatar
    Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Definitelynotme has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    around an hour.

test levels start dropping otherwise
    If your parents didn't have children, chances are you won't either.

It's because beyond an hour and cortisol levels start to rise, test starts to decrease, and your liver glycogen typically has just about run out.......all of which make for a bad situation to say the least.
    We were talking about this over at another forum, and the idea arose of throwing down some quick EAA's at the 60 minute mark.

daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daazndood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    dont athletes work out for more then an hour? my workouts are normally 1.5 hours (i aint no athlete though)

Originally Posted by daazndood View Post
    dont athletes work out for more then an hour? my workouts are normally 1.5 hours (i aint no athlete though)
    there is a difference between endurance training/practice and straight up bodybuilding.

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I train a max of an hour. but it also depends how busy the gym is. sometimes I have wait for the equipment.
    There's no LIMIT in Bodybuilding

shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shermdizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ok, so whats the difference between working out an hour and a half all at once, and working out 45 minutes 2 different times a day?

martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) martymcfly is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    preferred 45-60 mins for the anerobic part (lifting weights) anything after that you'll be dragging, and i looked for the study where it shows your test levels peak and then start to drag after an hour. if its longer than an hour or so (especially by yourself) how long are you waiting, how long are you dawdling, how many exercises are you doing? if you're with a friend and you guys talk or something, i guess it could be a bit longer, but i try to keep the gym all serious. its a sanctuary for me.
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Certified Precision Nutritionist
    Always be learning.
    Knowledge < Intelligence < Wisdom

Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rick_Trahan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Everyone is different. I personally will spend about an hour and half at the gym training but sometimes I'll go up to 2 hours. I think you should just worry about the amount of set you do first, then worry about time in between sets. If you have a good split you can work 5-7 days a week. Personally I try to listen to my body and have a 6 day cycle taking breaks when my body tells me. You dont hit muscle exhaustion/fatigue unless you have the following symptoms, naseau, consistently tired, lack of appetite, and sluggishness.
    Viking Power!

dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10) dannyswo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Short work outs will keep you more focused. I find that going as fast as possible between exercises gets better results and concentration.
    Iraq is not a breeding ground for terrorists, but a burying ground.

NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NY Money Mike has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Exactaly 72 minutes. If you go over tat you gonna get catabolonic and you will loze all muscle hypertropial gladisphere and you will be teh overtrained.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NY Money Mike View Post
    Exactaly 72 minutes. If you go over tat you gonna get catabolonic and you will loze all muscle hypertropial gladisphere and you will be teh overtrained.
    finally a good reply.

seriously though, you guys who are all spouting your "low test level" and "catabolic" crap need to understand the other factors involved, including:

-genetics
    -diet
    -sleep/hormone management
    -volume of workout
    -TUT and rest intervals

among other things, these will determine the right amount of time for each individual. the best answer is, work out until you feel like you've worked out enough. and that knowledge comes with TUI (time under iron)
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sapaz85 View Post
    I train a max of an hour. but it also depends how busy the gym is. sometimes I have wait for the equipment.
    Why wait for a machine, theres always something else you can do or another variation of the same workout.

nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nuyork143 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    finally a good reply.

seriously though, you guys who are all spouting your "low test level" and "catabolic" crap need to understand the other factors involved, including:

-genetics
    -diet
    -volume of workout
    -TUT and rest intervals

among other things, these will determine the right amount of time for each individual. the best answer is, work out until you feel like you've worked out enough. and that knowledge comes with TUI (time under iron)

WORD G!!
    I mean AGREED!
    +1 Gay Ass Rep point...

Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    finally a good reply.

-genetics
    -diet
    -volume of workout
    -TUT and rest intervals

We said it was an average, "about" an hour. I said it was ok to go over that, even up to an hour and a half, I usually go about that long myself. But going far over that up to like 2 hours is probably overdoing it.

Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darkpyro12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by shermdizzle View Post
    i hope that this isnt' to vague of a question here. before i was working out for about 2 hours...now i'm tryin to stick to an hour and a half. this is so i can lift only 4 times a week, i don't have all the time in the world, though i wish i did. So, my question is, how long should my workout be? if i workout an hour and a half on 3 different body parts, is this hurting me at all?

also, if workout lenght is not a concern, don't be shy to tell me so, the moreinfo on this topic the better

thanks
    It should take however long it takes you to get in the gym, do your lifts, and leave. Dont waste time chatting or w/e. You went to the gym to work out right? keep it that way.
    Last edited by Darkpyro12; 10-08-2007 at 01:37 PM.

sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sapaz85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nuyork143 View Post
    Why wait for a machine, theres always something else you can do or another variation of the same workout.
    Yeah i could. but then I not stick to my program and plus I'm not going to lighter and my weights. equipment does really mean machines only, it's also free weights and ect.
    There's no LIMIT in Bodybuilding

ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    everyone's different.

My best workouts are 1.5-2 hours. One muscle group per day.. sometimes two. 6 days a week.
    If I don't have enough time and I only have an hour to work out, I just increase the intensity, doing super slows and 21s with some of the exercises.

mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikestraussen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Everyone has a different opinion.

I know guys like Lee Priest say 45 minutes is not enough.

I also read somewhere he recommends at least 20 sets per body part or else you are wasting your time.

Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    45 minutes works great for me.

Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fighterpilota10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    1hr < X < 1.5hr
    I've gained 45 pounds in one year

Bench-210 (x2)
    Squat-405 (x3)
    Deadlift-455 (x1)

Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100) Al Faz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by ChingChang View Post
    everyone's different.

My best workouts are 1.5-2 hours. One muscle group per day.. sometimes two. 6 days a week.
    If I don't have enough time and I only have an hour to work out, I just increase the intensity, doing super slows and 21s with some of the exercises.
    So you are telling me you weork shoulders for 90 - 120 mins? Don't be ridiculous!

ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Al Faz View Post
    So you are telling me you weork shoulders for 90 - 120 mins? Don't be ridiculous!
    yeah, shoulder workouts are usually 90 minutes. This past Friday I went for 2 hours, did a lot of speed bag that day though.

Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000) Fanatik is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I try to make it 1 hour not more but i always go over.
    When i started taking N.O i would stay in gym for 2+ hours without even realizing it.

I do 5x5 and take 2-3 min rest
    When you think you’re done you’re only 40% into what your body is capable of doing and that’s just the limits that we put on ourselves. - David Goggins

*Misc Cologne Crew*