Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What are the differences between a athlete and a bodybuilders routine?

I always hear train like a athlete not a bodybuilder. I just want to know the differences between someone training to get stronger for a sport compared to a bodybuilder.

baseballer88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im not completly sure but...i think a bodybuilder does weights to look good and get strong in every single muscle, in an athlete they train specific muscles for their sport!

correct me if im wrong

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    you're on track. basiclly a BBer is more considered about muscle symmetry, while athlete is going to gear his or her training towards increasing skills needed for their sport. for example, a gymnast needs very stong shoulders and core so they will focus on this in their training.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Athletes also tend to use sport-specific movements when they train, to mimic the actions of their sport (makes sense, right?). So, a gymnast will do handstand push-ups to increase strength for hollowbacks (rolling from a "seal" position to a handstand, feet first), etc. In my opinion, bodybuilders actually are training more efficiently from one point of view since they're hitting every muscle group and not neglecting or favoring any particular bodyparts (unless they're training incorrectly). One question you should ask yourself:
    Are you an athlete in a specific sport?
    If so, then what can you do to improve? Work speed, power, strength, agility, etc? See where I'm going here? Unless you're specializing in a specific sport, and even if you are, I'd still stick with a basic bb routine, making sure you don't neglect any muscle groups or overtrain.

PS I know I'm a dork, and maybe it was a typo, but it should be "an" athlete, not "a" athlete. Sorry. I'm a nerd.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bebop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I dont want to sound like an authority on this topic but I've been reading up (a lot) recently on dual factor training. Look for a post by FortifiedIron called FI Corner of Goodies or something like that. Madcow2 is the resident expert on this form of training, which is used for athletes and is used by Bill Starr, one of the foremost authorities on strength training for athletes. Supposedly, this form of training is popular for everyone BUT bodybuilders (so we are being erroneously dogmatic) but it also increases mass like crazy. Check out http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/sh...5&page=1&pp=20 for more information.

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mightymouse37
    Athletes also tend to use sport-specific movements when they train, to mimic the actions of their sport (makes sense, right?). So, a gymnast will do handstand push-ups to increase strength for hollowbacks (rolling from a "seal" position to a handstand, feet first), etc. In my opinion, bodybuilders actually are training more efficiently from one point of view since they're hitting every muscle group and not neglecting or favoring any particular bodyparts (unless they're training incorrectly). One question you should ask yourself:
    Are you an athlete in a specific sport?
    If so, then what can you do to improve? Work speed, power, strength, agility, etc? See where I'm going here? Unless you're specializing in a specific sport, and even if you are, I'd still stick with a basic bb routine, making sure you don't neglect any muscle groups or overtrain.

PS I know I'm a dork, and maybe it was a typo, but it should be "an" athlete, not "a" athlete. Sorry. I'm a nerd.
    Im going to have to dissagree with some of this.

Im going to copy and paste a reply to a similar thread on my forum:

A program organized correctly according to fitting the needs wanting to be addressed and the weakness.

Making a powerlifting, WSM, and BB programs are easy to design. Constructing an athletes training based on the sports motor task, logical scientific approach, and an understand of ones practical development are keys in such a process.

However the biggest mistake is coaches getting to into 'gym lifts' and 'numbers' the numbers do not correlate to a good athlete. It simply means they are good lifters on certain things. Lifting is nothing more then helping to develope certain aspects of things to 'potentially' help in sporting events/contest.

Kc
    To go a bit deeper in my final comments I will agree with you aswell. I think some coachs just spend to much time in the gym and not enough time learning the skills needed to be addressed in the sport. Never at any point should a bodybuilding program ever be used for a competitive seasoned athlete. It has limited value to up and coming athletes due to the maturity level and most will get better by just doing it during season. This does not hold up in upper level college and professional sports.There is no need for a basketball player to do shrugs, bicep curls, kickbacks, tricep extentions, etc. If a basketball player is a poor free throw shooter he should be shooting free throws as often as possible. Lets use an offensive lineman for a bit more of a complex example.

Your lineman is coming off the line slow and high, how do you address this? Simple!

1. Have him do specific drills coming off the ball (SPP)and using some type of resistance (Dummie, sled, or training partner) and increase his agility work.

2. Possibly increase his squat and core work in his training. Would also review what movements he is doing and what olympic lifts he is doing aswell.

An athlete should center his/her training around complex movements such as olympic lifting and multi- joint movements. Speed should always be addressed and stressed in all movements done in the gym and out of the gym no matter what sport.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I actually agree with all of this. I was pretty exhausted last nite when I posted so I didn't go as in-depth as I should have, though I was under the assumption (still am) that Baller is more interested in bbing than training for any particular sport, or else he'd be on another forum.

Good call, FI.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

- Arnold, "Twins"

- Rayne Summers

Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baller1950 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm interested in training for basketball. I dont want to BB. I want to get stronger and bigger(not too big).......for basketball. Thats why i ask this question.

Originally Posted by Baller1950
    I'm interested in training for basketball. I dont want to BB. I want to get stronger and bigger(not too big).......for basketball. Thats why i ask this question.

In that case there is a sports training forum here, you ought to post there, and clarify what your goals are. Good luck!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

- Arnold, "Twins"

- Rayne Summers

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Baller I did your program for you. I'll send you info today.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff