kanti has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

kinda confused dead lift?

I was always told the straight leg dead lift is for your lower back, and the regular dead lift with a hex bar is for your legs. Is this right or wrong?

E-stats: 6'5" 575lbs 6%BF cheezefacta's Avatar
    cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Deadlifts will work both your legs and your back. For me, SLDL really rip the hell out of my legs so I put them on leg day (usually with a lower weight). On back day I throw in regular deadlifts.

meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cheezefacta
    Deadlifts will work both your legs and your back. For me, SLDL really rip the hell out of my legs so I put them on leg day (usually with a lower weight). On back day I throw in regular deadlifts.

what he said!
    When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee, thats a moray.

BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BRADP2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by momod
    what he said!
    I pick one or the other. there's no way I could squat, dead, and sldl all in the same week.

meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BRADP2
    I pick one or the other. there's no way I could squat, dead, and sldl all in the same week.

Im like this

mon (back and bi's)

deads
    barbell rows
    lat pulls

bicep stuff

wed legs

squats
    lunges or leg press
    SLDL
    machine hams

fri chest / shoulder tris

I also do cardio 6 days a week and Im 37 and workout with alot of intensity.

but to each his own!

take care

E-stats: 6'5" 575lbs 6%BF cheezefacta's Avatar
    cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yea I agree...I seem to fit deadlifts and SLDL in the same week no problem. Me and Momod seem to pull the same weights too. This week on Tuesday I pulled 485 for 7...today is Thursday and I did some SLDL's and felt fine.

Originally Posted by cheezefacta
    Yea I agree...I seem to fit deadlifts and SLDL in the same week no problem. Me and Momod seem to pull the same weights too. This week on Tuesday I pulled 485 for 7...today is Thursday and I did some SLDL's and felt fine.
    sweet, 475 is my current max though, but in my twenties I was pulling close to 600, I was also "enhanced" (-:

Do you set up on reps or just up and down?

I like to set up for each pull, but quickly of course.

BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kanti
    I was always told the straight leg dead lift is for your lower back, and the regular dead lift with a hex bar is for your legs. Is this right or wrong?

It's more or less the exact opposite, though it's not quite that cut and dry.

Deadlifts will primarily blast your lower back, while SLDL's will hit your hamstrings hard (with some obvious lower back work too).

To really hit your hamstrings hard on SLDL's, put a small plate under each toe when you do it. Trust me, the extra inch or so makes all the difference in the world. I never used to really feel SLDL's in my hamstrings until I did this, and boy did I see some good results.

Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think the taller you are, the more you use your lower back when you deadlift. When you straight leg deadlift, if you have correct form, it should really work your hamstrings. When I started doing these, I had no idea what i was doing, and my back was curving, giving me alot of lower back strain.
    There's only one thing I hate more than working out: being skinny.

Pog Mo Thoin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I call feal it in my lower back when i was doing deadlifts and squats today. I know that deadlifts work your lower back but after each set i would have to strech my back out. Do you think i am doing them wrong you are supposed to use your legs right not your back. At the end i pull my back up.

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The deadlift works so many muscle groups you can't really say its a back only move or leg only move, it pretty much works every muscle in the body. A trick to use when deadlifting is to look upwards during the lift, it will help you to lift the weight better with your legs and back combined. ANother trick is when you bend over to grab the bar don't focus on bending you legs to get down, instead focus on pushing your glutes backwards as if you were tryin to sit on a chair that was far behind you. This will help put you in the correct postion to lift.

I don't like to look up too much, kind of forward and up. I think of it like pushing my heels through the floor while leading with the top back of my head going up to the ceiling, while the thrill of the knurled barbell tears through that same old scab on my shin. (-:

http://www.cyberiron.com/tom/powerdeadlift.html