Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Free Monty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question Shoulder Press (behind the neck)

when i was in high school, i used to do shoulder press behind the neck with a barbell. one day i was using more weight than i was use to and i had a minor injury in my shoulder area.

i just read about how shoulder pressing behind the neck is dangerous. and after what happend to me i would have to agree with that.

what about shoulder pressing and bringing it down in front of you neck? is that safer at all?

i know the basics but im just getting back into lifting. what other exercises could lead to injury? which should be avoided?

ive been doing reps real slow and trying to avoid any injury that will interrupt my training.

thnx for any tips.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Free Monty
    when i was in high school, i used to do shoulder press behind the neck with a barbell. one day i was using more weight than i was use to and i had a minor injury in my shoulder area.

i just read about how shoulder pressing behind the neck is dangerous. and after what happend to me i would have to agree with that.

what about shoulder pressing and bringing it down in front of you neck? is that safer at all?

i know the basics but im just getting back into lifting. what other exercises could lead to injury? which should be avoided?

ive been doing reps real slow and trying to avoid anything that will interupt my training. thnx for any tips.
    I do behind the neck rack presses. I place the safety bars slightly above parallel to shoulders. Works very good and is perfectly safe.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 06-02-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, you'd be better served by doing your shoulder presses in front. Personally, I lower the bar to about the bottom of my chin as I feel if you go beyond this point, it places to much stress on the shoulder joint.

Honestly, any exercise could lead to injury if not performed correctly or lifting outside of your capabilities. But to be brutally honest, most lifting exercises ain't exactly brain surgery. The proper way to perform most exercises are archived in the main page of this site.

If you're uncertain how to perform an exercise, check out the technique on the site and then begin the motion in the gym with a very light weight until your form is solid. Good luck.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i don't really think to the front offers anything that behind doesn't offer....both are relatively equal in my books.

btn is only dangerous if you use a **** load of weight and don't have good shoulder girdle flexibility..........also, take it to just ear level when going btn
    <->

rubber3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rubber3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rubber3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rubber3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    I do behind the neck rack presses. I place the safety bars slightly above parallel to shoulders. Works very good and is perfectly safe.
    Dam, good idea DD. I am going to have try these next shoulder workout.

Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rubber3
    Dam, good idea DD. I am going to have try these next shoulder workout.

i do shoulder presses behind my neck all the time

the only time i injured myself was being a moron and goin bellow 90degrees.. big mistake.. never ever go below 90 with behind the neck presses

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah the behind the neck press is just like any other exercise, do it wrong and your heading for an injury.

JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) JRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've done behind neck presses for the longest time w/o any problems.
    I just don't go below ear level and know what I can handle. Too heavy and you've got problems.

Peace