Thread: Posture

rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Posture

Will weight training improve or worsen posture?

I seem to have excessive lordosis.

Couldn't heavy weight on the top of the body, from say squats, worsen the curvature?

IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10) IH8ECTOMORPHISM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Strengthened back muscles can help posture.

rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rsnuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ok, thanks.

Do you think keeping your stomach in/sucking it in while doing your exercises will help further?

I've just read about stomach vacs and am keeping my stomach slightly in all the time in the hope of stregnthening the muslces that keep you gut in.

Plus when i do the vac my spine strightens right up and goes into a very slight helthy looking lordosis, i figure at worst i'll build up endurance to holding my gut in slightly all the time.

ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lifting will not make your posture better or worse. Posture is something you can fix by consciously thinking about it. Unless you're a chick with 36DD's, your back muscles are strong enough to hold you up straight.

Keeping your stomach sucked in while you do exercises won't do much. Your midsection will get stronger from weighted crunches and the like or compound, heavy exercises that require you to hold yourself upright.

builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10) builder121 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My mum used to always complain about my poor posture i still remember. When i started lifting it stopped...what does that tell you my friend?

Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ericTHEninja View Post
    Lifting will not make your posture better or worse. Posture is something you can fix by consciously thinking about it. Unless you're a chick with 36DD's, your back muscles are strong enough to hold you up straight.

Keeping your stomach sucked in while you do exercises won't do much. Your midsection will get stronger from weighted crunches and the like or compound, heavy exercises that require you to hold yourself upright.
    actually lifting can make your posture worse if you neglect back exercises and just focus on chest and front delts.

the way to improve your posture with lifting is to focus a lot on back exercises... rows pullups, reverse butterflyes (rear delts), lower back... just strengthen your posterior chain.

although if you still have a bad posture even after lifting properly for a while, then you must work on your posture.

tuck your chin, flex your rhomboids and pull shoulders back when you walk or stand... imagine squeezing an eraser with your mid back.

http://www.drbookspan.com/NeckPainArticle.html
    Last edited by Avila; 10-06-2007 at 09:46 AM.

%%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50) %%%% will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Weight training can help your posture. But only if you work your back and rear deltiods.

BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BSN dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My front delts are more developed than my rears so it looks like like I huch forward lol. Im training the rears alot now so that will be over soon. I did notice though that deadlifts really helped my posture cuz it used to be pretty bad.
    arms 15.25''
    delts 18.5''
    forearms 13.25''
    legs 22'':(
    calves 14''
    waiste 31''
    chest 41.5''

xckjb88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xckjb88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xckjb88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xckjb88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my posture used to be terrible... I thought it ran in my family cause my grandpa's and my dad's was like that too. My mom used to have to tell me to walk upright all the time...

Then I started incorporating deadlifts, squats and rows and consciously tried to improve my posture and now it's perfect. My mom and family tells me once in a while at how it's improved and I didn't even ask her.

ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by builder121 View Post
    My mum used to always complain about my poor posture i still remember. When i started lifting it stopped...what does that tell you my friend?
    It tells me that 1) your confidence went up from lifting and you stood taller, 2) when your back, upper arms, chest, and shoulders are sore, the relaxed position is standing erect and 3) you're a cocky little 17 year old kid with no basis in your argument.

The point is that your body is designed to hold your weight. Otherwise, you'd fall over. Yes, it is possible to be top heavy, but it doesn't mean your midsection won't grow to support your upper half unless you're a girl. If you're a guy, really skinny, and walk around hunched over, it's not because your core is weak.

Any adjustments in posture when lifting are correlation, but not necessarily causation.

Originally Posted by Avila View Post
    actually lifting can make your posture worse if you neglect back exercises and just focus on chest and front delts.
    Well, yeah. That's true for anything. A number of ski related knee injuries occur because most people have stronger quads than hamstrings and the strength imbalance causes the body to react inappropriately.
    Last edited by ericTHEninja; 10-06-2007 at 12:20 PM.