dieselj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Accuracy of Men's Health calorie calculator

In the August issue of Men's Health there was an article called "Pack 10". Within this article there was a formula which to calulate your daily caloric requirement. I used this formula based on my body weight, but the result i got seemed way too high.

Here is the calculation in the magazine
    A. Your wieght in pounds: _____
    B. Multiply A by 12 to get your basic calorie needs: _____
    C. Multiply B by 1.6 to estimate your resting metabolic rate: _____
    D. Mutiply the number of minutes you lift weights per week by 5: _____
    E. Multiply the number of minutes per week that you run, cycle, and play sports by 8: _____
    F. Add D and E, and divde by 7: _____
    G. Add C and F to get your daily calorie needs: ______
    H. Add 500 to G: _____. This is your estimated daily calrie needs to gain 1 pound a week.

By the time I got to H, I had 4196 calories per day. I know guys who weight more than me who only consume about 3000 when bulking. I am only 175 lbs, so this seems really high to me. What do you guys think?
    Please critique my Bulking Workout Journal here:

Please critique my diet here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=781324

Back to Square 1
    4/30/06 - 182lbs at 20bf

Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That can't be accurate, either that or I'm no good at math.

According to that chart I need to consume 4500 calories a day!?!?! That's crazy.. I'm sure I would gain alot of fat, and not muscle mass if I consumed that much.

I consume 1500 calories on a good day!
    Always, under the underneath...
    =======
    Once the power of the mind is harnessed, any goal is reachable.
    =======
    Exercise is 10% Physical, and 90% Mental, the rest is up to you.

1500 seems real low.
    I completely agree though, i don't think i have ever eaten over 4000 calories in a day. So i doubt i coudl maintain this if i try. Does anyone have a better calorie "calculator" out there?

Back to Square 1
    4/30/06 - 182lbs at 20bf

b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1500 and you grow? Damn!
    "It is a pity for a man to grow old and never know the strength
    and endurance of which the body is capable." - Socrates

TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000)
    1500 calories is way too low to bulk bro!

4500 calories is high..you must aim for 3000-3500 cals
    Live forever....

DiSizG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

man 1500!! WOW thats low! **** I burn more calories at night when I fart!
    *-="We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are!"=-

*-="Never eat more than you can lift."=-

*-="Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together."=-

how did you guys come up with the 3000 to 3500 range? In some cases this seems like a completely arbitrary number because I have seen that range for people of all different body types, and with different exercise regiments.

Back to Square 1
    4/30/06 - 182lbs at 20bf

b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50) b_banner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Keep eating more and more until you grow.
    "It is a pity for a man to grow old and never know the strength
    and endurance of which the body is capable." - Socrates

Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm trying to train my body more for endurance running on basically no fuel.

I'm training for the military and want to be set for any condition I might have to face, I want to eventually train to the point where I can try out for JTF 2, (canadian special ops), basically an anti-terrorism force.

By keeping my workout regime the same, training hard on 1500 calories this pushes your body to the outer limits. It's pretty amazing just how far you can push your body, I will not go as far to pass-out, but sometimes I will come close.
    Always, under the underneath...
    =======
    Once the power of the mind is harnessed, any goal is reachable.
    =======
    Exercise is 10% Physical, and 90% Mental, the rest is up to you.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'd say 3000 kcals is plenty bro...if you don't gain weight on that up it by 500 kcals per week.